Historic Release Of the Use Your Illusion Records

8 minutes ago, axlinkafayette said:

got both CD's the morning of the release on my way to senior year of HS.  Remember when i walked in the store back of bitch was playing on their sound system.

Heard up to Bad Obsession on the drive to school and the rest is history.  Very exciting moment 

It's awesome that you remember what song you got to on the drive to school.

Edited by lame ass security

My older brother picked up Use Your Illusion II first because he knew KOHD, Civil War, and YCBM. For my 11th birthday I got Use Your Illusion I. Those albums meant and still mean so much to me. Amazingly diverse records that rocked the shit out of me when I was 11 and still do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

Yes it is😊.  Funny enough, I didn't really catch him saying it during the concert.  Everything was so chaotic and jumbled in real time.  It wasn't until I saw the footage of the show and the "lame ass security" comment.  The thing I remember is the ungodly sound of the mic hitting the stage when Axl slammed it down. 

The mike crash sounds horrible even on YouTube. How long did you stay at the show once he left the stage?

17 hours ago, kever20 said:

Yes indeed! I remember the Birdcage one as well- still go to the Dimple Records over there fairly frequently! I think they were all still open into my early teen years.

Cool stories! Thanks for sharing with another Sacramento native!

LOL. You know Dimple! That's where I worked back then. They're still around. At least 5 stores that I know of. The Roseville store moved locations last year and is much larger now with a book store included.

22 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I do. Its good to hear how things were pre internet days.

LOL. It sure sounds weird saying 'preinternet'. Makes you feel like you're also from the 'horse and buggy era'. But it really wasn't all that long ago. Since the actual Internet has been around since the 80's, it's probably more accurate to say 'pre-online' days.

I first started exploring online around 1992 and I worked for an ISP beginning in 1999 when many were still learning what it was and were largely using dial-up. I know I didn't really start purchasing tickets online until around 2000 or so and the online method wasn't near as popular as calling in. I began working for a cellular company in 2004 and most people didn't have PDA's or data access for their phones yet. So it's really only been the past 15-20 years that it's been this way. It just seems like it's been longer.

I'm really not that damn old. But it sure seems like it sometimes. LOL ;)

14 hours ago, thunderram said:

LOL. It sure sounds weird saying 'preinternet'. Makes you feel like you're also from the 'horse and buggy era'. But it really wasn't all that long ago. Since the actual Internet has been around since the 80's, it's probably more accurate to say 'pre-online' days.

I first started exploring online around 1992 and I worked for an ISP beginning in 1999 when many were still learning what it was and were largely using dial-up. I know I didn't really start purchasing tickets online until around 2000 or so and the online method wasn't near as popular as calling in. I began working for a cellular company in 2004 and most people didn't have PDA's or data access for their phones yet. So it's really only been the past 15-20 years that it's been this way. It just seems like it's been longer.

I'm really not that damn old. But it sure seems like it sometimes. LOL ;)

True, but before 95 when the internet was mainstream it was always good to wait for the interviews in magazines and sweating on having to wait a month when you knew they were being interviewed and when the magazines would hit the stand.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2019 at 2:03 PM, adamsapple said:

I remember all the girls got UYI I first because it had November Rain.

And the boys got UYI II first because it had YCBM.

Our pocket money wasn't that much back then, so for kids a CD was a serious purchase, most afford only about one or two per month.

So we traded and connected through / because of the music, talked about the lyrics, interpreted the meaning of the music videos and begged our parents to let us go to a concert.

Music had so much more value in so many ways back then. You had to pick and make a decision, so you didn't just consume and paid more attention to the art.

If I could go back in time it would definetely be before the internet, life was very different until the mid/late 90's.

Yeah, internet is very much "can't live without it" anymore. If we had a time machine, I suppose I'd prefer the era where the internet still existed, but wasn't the monolithic thing that has pretty much devalued art. Say, 1996-1997. Internet was exciting and new back then. Like you said, music hasn't been the same in regards to the choices you had to make, the discovery, waiting in line with other fans. Same can be said of video games, movies. I used to work at Best Buy (retail store) and 70 percent of their entire store space was CDs/DVDs/video games. Now, it takes up one aisle.

It's a singles-driven world. My friend and I recently decided it would be cool to go back and relive some iconic records, beginning to end. Just have a couple drinks and listen right through and enjoy the record experience.

• Like 1

I didn't get into GNR till the summer of '92 (starting with Appetite for Destruction, which my sister owned on cassette). I can't recall at what point my sister got the Illusions tapes, but I'm certain it was later that same year (probably for her bday in September or for Christmas). So unfortunately I missed out on all the buzz surrounding the original release in 1991. I was just too young to care about music at the time (9 years old).

I do remember buying Use Your Illusion 2 for my then-girlfriend's birthday in 1993 or 1994. Well, my mom gave me money to buy it. My then-gf already owned UYI1 'cause "November Rain."

See, people like to rewrite history and pretend Kurt Cobain came around with Nirvana in '91/'92 and "killed off hair bands like Guns N' Roses." But GNR were still the biggest deal in 1991 when Illusions came out. Then they went out and did their lengthy world tour and were ALL over MTV in 1992 (theyear I got into the band). GNR stopped being a big deal because they splintered and went away after Spaghetti. And Nirvana subsequently had a meteoric rise in their stead, unfortunately in large part building a legend following Kurt's untimely death.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2