RONIN

Vintage: Doug Goldstein's hilarious letter to Axl ~2009

19 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I think it's interesting that he's become so vitriolic towards Axl recently. He's given Axl accolades in the past but clearly dislikes him (hard to blame Niv imho) but this latest batch of interviews has me scratching my head wondering what the reasoning behind such an outburst is. It's uncharacteristically excessive - there's no reason to drag Axl so much if he's simply responding to Goldstein. It makes me wonder if Duff and Slash have cut Niven out of the loop at the (presumed) behest of Axl. Either way, his comments on Axl/DC seem to suggest a man who is losing his marbles.

In another, relatively recent, Mitch Lafon podcast Niven said that he was backstage at one of the SMKC shows in L.A. So he still has contact with Slash. It's unknown if Slash discusses with him (I doubt it) or he's been polite and invites Niven backstage as an old associate, but it doesn't seem that Slash has cut him off.

I don't find it so strange that Niven has been attacking Axl in this manner lately. I think it's due to a combination of reasons: Goldstein, Niven's increasing resentment and his weird beliefs. I think both Niven and Goldstein are resentful because GnR made a very successful comeback (even as a touring band) and they aren't included in some way. But as they are different characters, they get it across differently. Niven is straightforwardly bitter whereas Goldstein is sneakier. To me all this recent bickering looks like an effort of self-vindication aimed at the die-hard GnR fanbase.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

To me all this recent bickering looks like an effort of self-vindication aimed at the die-hard GnR fanbase.

This. I just wonder why. There’s nothing the fanbase could (or would) do for them.

Im sure there are interviews with axl where the reason why he owned the name was incase the other band members died and didnt want the name to be challanged by ex wives or girlfriends. I think this was around 89/90 when the band were in their drug haze.