Tension in the early 2000's lineup

57 minutes ago, soon said:

Brain did say about deciding to join Guns that he 'wasnt sure if he wanted to play rock.' But he's done some incredible rock music elsewhere prior to Guns. I think he's an amazing rock n roll drummer even if thats not his main passion. Must piss off drummers who are focused on rock that he's such a natural. He's better then Guns current drummer at rock n roll to say the least.

This is him rockin pre Guns. I cant decide if this should be counted in 4's or 6/8 (I think both - I think its polyrhythmic) but either way, Its Five O'Clock Somewhere has some odd meters too and is squarely a rock n roll album.

I saw Brain and Buckethead (and 'Brewer' on bass) in 2017, a month after I saw GNR.

Brain's drumming was, and still is, miles better than Frank's. His style, his tone, his groove... man I wish Brain had come back to GNR...

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

That’s my favorite era of GnR. It was nothing like the old band, it was something totally new but it felt magical. Unfortunately I think between Axls shenanigans and Bucketheads shenanigans the band couldn’t hold it together. Robin likely wanted to be the lead guitarist but was overshadowed by buckethead so he had some resentment to him. I definitely think that Tommy was leading the band when Axl was AWOL and he likely let things go on that lead to the departure of buckethead.

ultimately though the sound and appearance were too much of a jump from old GnR for the general public to handle. If the lineup was under a different name, perhaps it would’ve been more popular 

Edited by liers

20 minutes ago, liers said:

That’s my favorite era of GnR. It was nothing like the old band, it was something totally new but it felt magical. Unfortunately I think between Axls shenanigans and Bucketheads shenanigans the band couldn’t hold it together. Robin likely wanted to be the lead guitarist but was overshadowed by buckethead so he had some resentment to him. I definitely think that Tommy was leading the band when Axl was AWOL and he likely let things go on that lead to the departure of buckethead.

ultimately though the sound and appearance were too much of a jump from old GnR for the general public to handle. If the lineup was under a different name, perhaps it would’ve been more popular 

Hmm, what would be a cool name for that lineup?  

20 hours ago, RageKage said:

I wonder if he talks through a puppet at a supermarket aswell

Forget the supermarket, how about the bedroom?! I’d say there’s an 85% chance that Bucket is a virgin... I’m kidding, but he’s definitely got a little 40 Year Old Virgin vibe going on and he probably jerks off to action figures. 

6 hours ago, Sosso said:

That's why those line-ups from 1999/2000 2001/2002 are my favourites. Every musician had his own signature sound and stage presence. 

I think that Josh Freese was technically the best drummer that Axl / GNR ever had. Super cool guy as well. It’s a shame it didn’t work out. Even his drumming with Sting is fucking incredible...

6 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Hmm, what would be a cool name for that lineup?  

Just "the WAR band", and just WAR as the name of the record instead of CD. I think it would have been better received and marketed alot better with it being an axl rose record. I bit like slashs solo record in 2010.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ludurigan said:

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY SAYING THAT AXL HAS "LEADER" QUALITY"?

Not for nothing, but this is a man well known for kicking people in the balls for no reason, jumping into a crowd of thousands to sucker punch a guy with a camera (because he done tole that security bitch once already) and allegedly just forced everyone to sign over the rights of the band.  Say what you will about Axl, but he's an alpha for sure.  People kinda fall in line behind a guy like that. 

12 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

Not for nothing, but this is a man well known for kicking people in the balls for no reason, jumping into a crowd of thousands to sucker punch a guy with a camera (because he done tole that security bitch once already) and allegedly just forced everyone to sign over the rights of the band.  Say what you will about Axl, but he's an alpha for sure.  People kinda fall in line behind a guy like that. 

thanks so much for taking the time to explain to me that "kicking people", "sucker punch guys" and "force people to sign stuff" are "leader qualities"!

I had completely missed that!

:rofl-lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Paulywauly said:

Buckethead sounds and looks like a right nobhead, imagine being mates with him, after a bit you’d be like, take that fucking stupid mask off and that KFC bucket on top of your head you fucking dick!

For folk who he is actually mates with, he likely does.

Being in a band with him would no doubt be a bit challenging but at the same time there's generally always that mental who you work with.

When it's family and folk who are genuine friends then I'd imagine he can just be Brian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Billly B said:

You are probably thinking about the outed term Autistism Spectrum. Just a reminder that none of us are in a position to label or make judgement. Just going off what we know, maybe something similar to Asperger Syndrome. Remember our personal opinion is not a professional opinion by a medical professional in the mental health field. 

Actually, it's probably not far off the mark. Obviously a bunch of randos on the internet is nothing compared to an actual doctor in a position to give a diagnosis, but the hiding away (ie. the masks, going AWOL and keeping himself in the house), being notoriously uncomfortable around people he's not close to (his reliance on Brain and others, actively avoiding attention), and intense and passionate 'fixations' (particular toys, Giant Robot, obviously guitar, etc etc) among other things all point to somewhere on the Autistic spectrum. Even people who have known him have suggested the same.

And just a quick note, Aspergers is still an Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

Edited by Azifwekare
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

And asking security to remove a fan because they wore a slash shirt

15 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Actually, it's probably not far off the mark. Obviously a bunch of randos on the internet is nothing compared to an actual doctor in a position to give a diagnosis, but the hiding away (ie. the masks, going AWOL and keeping himself in the house), being notoriously uncomfortable around people he's not close to (his reliance on Brain and others, actively avoiding attention), and intense and passionate 'fixations' (particular toys, Giant Robot, obviously guitar, etc etc) among other things all point to somewhere on the Autistic spectrum. Even people who have known him have suggested the same.

What about the erratic moods?. Plus i think he has extremely down periods, or did have them as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

Could be Autism Spectrum Disorder or Bipolar (Manic Depressive Disorder). Even Borderline Personality Disorder to a lesser degree or dual diagnosis. Fact is that none of us know and promoting stigma is one of the worst things. I know that Aspergers was supposedly to be removed from the Austism Spectrum become it's own category. He has displayed the characteristics publicly. However we don't know the honestly of those characteristics. How much is real and how much maybe an act? Once again this is an opinion and not a diagnosis by a professional. If a professional that has seen him would come on and tell us, it would be a violation of HIPAA.

Edited by Billly B

35 minutes ago, Billly B said:

Fact is that none of us know and promoting stigma is one of the worst things.

Feeling like we can't talk about these things and keeping it taboo would promote stigma - and I think people using his known behaviours and trying to understand why he may do the things he does are generally well-intentioned, despite being unqualified.

I know that Aspergers was supposedly to be removed from the Austism Spectrum become it's own category.

You may have things mixed up. Asperger's was recently removed as it's own category from the DSM because it was instead included under the umbrella of ASD, but can still be used as a separate diagnosis.

How much is real and how much maybe an act?

I think it may be as simple as he does the things he does because it makes him more comfortable, with the added bonus of it fitting in with the Buckethead character. I think it was in the interview posted in the previous page that he confirmed that the mask/bucket image came about because it made him more comfortable with putting himself out there creating and performing, which he didn't feel he could do as Brian Carroll.

• Like 1

Brain is a good new metal drummer. He was all over the place in GNR with the classic songs which was pretty confusing, and I didn't like it the style he played those songs. It was like watching Limp Bizkit covering Welcome to the Jungle or You could Be Mine.

He's obviously talented and creative but didn't fit the bill.

Frank is a Matt Sorum in beginner's mode.

They should have secured Josh. Josh Freese was definitely the best drummer they had since Matt Sorum.

Edited by Propaganda

37 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Feeling like we can't talk about these things and keeping it taboo would promote stigma - and I think people using his known behaviours and trying to understand why he may do the things he does are generally well-intentioned, despite being unqualified.

You may have things mixed up. Asperger's was recently removed as it's own category from the DSM because it was instead included under the umbrella of ASD, but can still be used as a separate diagnosis.

I think it may be as simple as he does the things he does because it makes him more comfortable, with the added bonus of it fitting in with the Buckethead character. I think it was in the interview posted in the previous page that he confirmed that the mask/bucket image came about because it made him more comfortable with putting himself out there creating and performing, which he didn't feel he could do as Brian Carroll.

agreed, until isn't much time ago bipolar disorder was a taboo, but now many celebrities admit them has BD like Catheryne Zeta Jones and many more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ratam said:

agreed, until isn't much time ago bipolar disorder was a taboo, but now many celebrities admit them has BD like Catheryne Zeta Jones and many more.

I feel like many of the celebrities say they have a disorder, just to gain more attention. A lot of them are supossedly 'depressed' & 'unhinged'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GnrJasmin92 said:

I feel like many of the celebrities say they have a disorder, just to gain more attention. A lot of them are supossedly 'depressed' & 'unhinged'. 

A lot of them have found themselves in a very stressful, high pressure environment.  They're young and don't have the experience to deal with it.  Most people start to lose it under those circumstances.  Similar to what you see in people returning from war.  It's not attention seeking so much as trying to identify what is taking you to the edge.  The sane thing would be to walk away for a while, get some perspective but there's all that pressure to stay on top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GnrJasmin92 said:

Im not sure about that. We are in the midst of (or hopefully at the end of) a Celebrity Suicide Cluster. And I think things like the Betty Ford Clinic and Music Cares highlight how associated public life, stress and addiction (depression/trauma) are. 

Here we are on a GNR forum, like I dont think Axl was faking all those years. He made it through, praise God. Mariah Carey never really regained her level of status after her breakdown. 

All that said, I see where you're coming from in certain cases. Where maybe some are trying a little too hard to be like #Demented

aipGcToh.jpg

:lol:

Edited by soon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think things were at their best/most focused with the "leaner" Stinson/Finck/Freese line-up(s) of 98-99 (i.e. "OMG"-era). For better or worse- Axl was driving the band to an updated, contemporary sound- and he had successfully recruited the type of players who were motivated, and capable (IMHO) of doing it. Seems like the esprit de corps was good too. If I'm not mistaken many are still friendly with one another (e.g. Tommy-Josh, Robin-Josh, etc.), and I think Finck & Freese are even on good terms with Duff from 1997-98. 1999 would have been such a great time to relaunch with the SPIN "What The World Needs Now" cover/feature, RS article, Loder interview, etc. too.

Seemingly none of the extra nonsense (chicken coops, bullying, pulling knives, etc.) of future Chinese line-ups. More like a select group of modern players trying to help Axl come back with a grittier Achtung Baby or something. The fact some of the same folks (Freese, Howerdel, etc.) connected with that era soon turned around and put Mer de Noms out shows me there was something special going on in those circles at the time...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

I think things were at their best/most focused with the "leaner" Stinson/Finck/Freese line-up(s) of 98-99 (i.e. "OMG"-era). For better or worse- Axl was driving the band to an updated, contemporary sound- and he had successfully recruited the type of players who were motivated, and capable (IMHO) of doing it. Seems like the esprit de corps was good too. If I'm not mistaken many are still friendly with one another (e.g. Tommy-Josh, Robin-Josh, etc.), and I think Finck & Freese are even on good terms with Duff from 1997-98. 1999 would have been such a great time to relaunch with the SPIN "What The World Needs Now" cover/feature, RS article, Loder interview, etc. too.

Seemingly none of the extra nonsense (chicken coops, bullying, pulling knives, etc.) of future Chinese line-ups. More like a select group of modern players trying to help Axl come back with a grittier Achtung Baby or something. The fact some of the same folks (Freese, Howerdel, etc.) connected with that era soon turned around and put Mer de Noms out shows me there was something special going on in those circles at the time...

Who pulled a knife?