Tension in the early 2000's lineup

1 hour ago, ChrisMaciel said:

Bumblefoot said a lot of bad things about Tommy during 2014 SA TOUR (Duff was filling in for tommy in some shows). But it seems to be something that happened in that very specific tour. He was in good terms with Tommy in 2012/13.

Tommy has some dependency on alcohol. It can change people. I would have to imagine that if Bumblefoot pulled a knife it was purely out of self protection. I think we all have witnessed individuals who go too far with the alcohol consumption. 

15 minutes ago, Rock the Cock said:

Look up the Replacement's reviews by professional music critics. Then look up GNR's. The Replacements have several acclaimed and influential albums. GNR only has the one.

"Professional Music Critics" are the end all be all of music now? And only one influential album?! I think you need to go spend time in the UYI release day thread..... 

Personally, I like GNR more. But if you want to look at at it objectively, the Replacements win. Every single time.

Dude, what are you talking about??? I'll give you an example of why you're so utterly wrong with this statement.

If I go to a party or sports bar, if its a rock setting, I gauren damn tee I'll hear at least WTTJ, SCOM, or Paradise City before the nights over. Nobody in that place is going to be slow dancing to "Swingin Party." You are talking about INFLUENCE as if the average joe knew who the fuck The Replacements even are. I knew one kid, ONE KID in high school who knew who the replacements were. Everyone else could tell you who GNR is. 

when The Replacements reunited, they played theaters and clubs. Guns sold out STADIUMS. I don't understand what you aren't seeing behind your personal bias..

Edited by KeyserSoze
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look up the Replacement's reviews by professional music critics. Then look up GNR's. The Replacements have several acclaimed and influential albums. GNR only has the one.

Personally, I like GNR more. But if you want to look at at it objectively, the Replacements win. Every single time.

It doesn't really matter. If you like GNR more, fine - so do I!  But don't pretend that they matter more, when they objectively don't: this is one of the beauties of music - if I like Sigue Sigue Sputnik more than the Rolling Stones, you can't tell me I'm wrong. But one is better and one is worse and anybody can give you a coherent reason why.

Regardless, I like GNR more than any of those bands. But coherency doesn't come into it.

Edit: this was not meant as a critique of GNR, in any way at all. But when people act like Tommy Stinson is  a "nobody"--Tommy Stinson of the fucking Replacements--it needs to be corrected. 

How come the replacements arnt a household name?.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

If I go to a party or sports bar, if its a rock setting, I gauren damn tee I'll hear at least WTTJ, SCOM, or Paradise City before the nights over. Nobody in that place is going to be slow dancing to "Swingin Party." You are talking about INFLUENCE as if the average joe knew who the fuck The Replacements even are. I knew one kid, ONE KID in high school who knew who the replacements were. Everyone else could tell you who GNR is. 

Yes, I was talking about influence, because some people brought it up, calling Tommy Stinson "a nobody".  If I go to a party, how many people will know Rocket 88? Or Tutti Frutti?  Or Summetime Bues? Fucking nobody, right? Influence and legacy matters, when you aren't living in 1987 and are judging musicians' work.

I wasn't talking about popularity, was I? If that were the case and that's what mattered, we'd all be on Taylor Swift's forums, wouldn't we? As I implied, popularity is not important. GNR is an 80s band with an 80s nostalgic fanbase. God bless 'em and good luck.

There's nothing wrong with that. It's the natural course of an 80s band--after all, they're doing far much better than all the others, aren't they? I love them nonetheless and I'm sure you do too.

All I said that was let's not act like fools and say Tommy Stinson is a "nobody." 21st rock music has moved far beyond GNR and, in fact, it's a hell of a lot closer to the Replacements' style of music. So don't pretend like GNR somehow is in any way either more relevant or important than them. Whether you like it or not, rock music nowadays is not about good guitar riffs and hairspray.

5 minutes ago, Rock the Cock said:

Do you really think many people know who GNR is nowadays? More people can hum the SCOM riff than could name any of the band members.

Well judging how much money the nitl tour made in 2 years would say quite abit.  Tommy would be on the same hierachy as dizzy and frank irrespective of his previous career in the replacements.

Edited by Sydney Fan

25 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I don't think I've ever heard a GNR song in a bar, unless it's karaoke or a vintage bar. It's nonsense to think that hearing their songs in this setting means anything.

I've hears "Simply having a wonderful Christmas time" at least twenty times as much. It doesn't mean anything.

Either way, I love GNR and couldn't care less how often their songs are played in bars.

8 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Well judging how much money the nitl tour made in 2 years would say quite abit.  Tommy would be on the same hierachy as dizzy and frank irrespective of his previous career in the replacements.

You're totally right - and well done to them for their success! But, at the same time, when Garth Whatever was selling billions of his CDs in the 90s, did anyone really care for what he was doing? No, they didn't. Just like GNR fans don't care about Tommy Stinson. So it's all completely irrelevant arguing over who is less irrelevant to 2019 or not, isn't it?

Edited by Rock the Cock

6 hours ago, Rock the Cock said:

Yes, I was talking about influence, because some people brought it up, calling Tommy Stinson "a nobody".  If I go to a party, how many people will know Rocket 88? Or Tutti Frutti?  Or Summetime Bues? Fucking nobody, right? Influence and legacy matters, when you aren't living in 1987 and are judging musicians' work.

If I had the misfortune of knowing anyone who didn't know Tutti Frutti, I would fucking disown them.

• Haha 2

Not wanting to stoke this argument further... But I live in the UK and had literally never heard of The Replacements.

I've been a drummer all my life surrounded by musicians into rock (and jazz) music, and never came across them, not a single person I know ever had one of their CDs. Were they ever popular over here? When Tommy joined I had to google them to find out who they were, I genuinely thought "The Replacements" was a joke given it was new GnR line up full of replacements.

I don't know Tutti Frutti! I'll check them out on Spotify today though...

Edit / Update: I speed read the above post and thought that The Replacements also had a song called Tutti Frutti. Figured it was a namesake. Obviously I'm aware of the original. Anyway - now heard some Replacements... Sounds "alright". Can't say I'm overly impressed but will give it another go.

Edited by ToonGuns
update
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Azifwekare said:

Tutti Frutti is a song by Little Richard, the true King of Rock 'n' Roll.

Yep. Spotted my error after listening to the Replacements, just updated my post. Figured it was a different Replacements song based on the above debate! Ah well...

FWIW in regards to nugnr treating Bumble badly, I know a couple of the guys had their own idea and even auditions for who would take that third guitar slot, because Bumble and the band were having contract issues. That could've been what drove some of the bad blood when suddenly Bumble was thrown into the mix.

I also remember during the '02 tour when Robin would post images after each show and he had a Bear statue with a Bucket on it, haha.

4 hours ago, -Jaro- said:

When I googled Replacemenzs, I found that lame Keanu Reeves movie...

Few scrolls down , there was that punkrock band...

DUFF MCKAGAN Praises His Replacement In GUNS N' ROSES

Former GUNS N' ROSES and current VELVET REVOLVERbassist Duff McKagan has penned the latest installment of his column, which appears on Reverb at SeattleWeekly.com. An excerpt follows below.

"About a week and a half ago, I had the pleasure of hanging out with Tommy Stinson. For those of you who don't know, he is the guy who replaced me in GUNS N' ROSES. But also for those of you who don't know, Tommyis known to a lot of us music fans for his work in his first band, THE REPLACEMENTS.

"Our meeting last week was by no means the first time we have hung out. No, back in 1983, my band 10 MINUTE WARNING opened for THE REPLACEMENTS right here in Seattle, at the long-defunct punk club Metropolis.

"Tommy is a great fucking guy, and I always come away glad when our paths have crossed over the years."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-praises-his-replacement-in-guns-n-roses/

Tommy and The Replacements together are so awesome. I have very fond memories of the days when I discovered the albums 'Tim' and 'Pleased to Meet Me.' 

They are a band who can touch raw and poignant emotions in their music, all while sounding above it all.

GN'R are a universe away from them and obviously, eclipse bands like The Replacements in the way Led Zeppelin would eclipse The Ramones. That doesn't mean either band isn't amazing on their own merits, they just exist in different dimensions, in terms of how you evaluate them.

I have to say, I never understood Tommy's love and dedication to Axl...rephrased, I never understood Tommy's love and dedication to GN'R; a band he straight up disses and dismisses. I can get how he think's Axl's an amazing singer, but I don't understand what he saw in the whole histrionic approach. The balls to the wall, overstaturated, overindulged, stadium rock meets modern day alternative. Look at the music Tommy makes on his own - it's nothing like Axl's approach. Yet, he remained there the whole time, picking his battles with many people who spent time in that camp...I just always had a hard time understanding what Tommy got out of being in GN'R. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, appetite4illusions said:

I have to say, I never understood Tommy's love and dedication to Axl...rephrased, I never understood Tommy's love and dedication to GN'R; a band he straight up disses and dismisses. I can get how he think's Axl's an amazing singer, but I don't understand what he saw in the whole histrionic approach. The balls to the wall, overstaturated, overindulged, stadium rock meets modern day alternative. Look at the music Tommy makes on his own - it's nothing like Axl's approach. Yet, he remained there the whole time, picking his battles with many people who spent time in that camp...I just always had a hard time understanding what Tommy got out of being in GN'R. 

Well I'm sure money and fame had something to do with it.  But I imagine he was good friends with a lot of people in the GnR camp (axl, Richard, dizzy etc.) and had fun playing the show's.   

There is a reason he went to multiple shows on the reunion tour too.

Tommy needed the money...badly. And he's been really upfront about that fact over the years. Iirc, he was working as a telemarketer to make ends meet before getting the GnR gig.

It also appears he was the primary bully of the band - him and Del did not want Bucket in the band and were jealous of how much time Axl was spending with Bucket if rumors are to be believed. And then there was Finck who felt he should be the primary lead guitarist and resented Buckethead's prominence in the inner circle. The band politics of the late 90's - mid 00's essentially revolved around who could jockey enough face-time with the redhead.

At the end of the day, aside from Bucket and Finck, the rest of the "band" were basically just collecting paychecks.  If they had talent and options (Bucket, Finck, Freese, Brain), they left for greener pastures soon after they realized the emperor had no clothes and Nu Guns was doomed.

16 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Tommy needed the money...badly. And he's been really upfront about that fact over the years. Iirc, he was working as a telemarketer to make ends meet before getting the GnR gig.

It also appears he was the primary bully of the band - him and Del did not want Bucket in the band and were jealous of how much time Axl was spending with Bucket if rumors are to be believed. And then there was Finck who felt he should be the primary lead guitarist and resented Buckethead's prominence in the inner circle. The band politics of the late 90's - mid 00's essentially revolved around who could jockey enough face-time with the redhead.

At the end of the day, aside from Bucket and Finck, the rest of the "band" were basically just collecting paychecks.  If they had talent and options (Bucket, Finck, Freese, Brain), they left for greener pastures soon after they realized the emperor had no clothes and Nu Guns was doomed.

in that case, they were a tiny tadd too late. That band was doomed since July 17th 1993 :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

He worked as a telemarketer? Wow, that's pretty amazing.