Jump to content
Ericstacey

Tension in the early 2000's lineup

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Stro said:

Tommy looked to be an absolute mess on stage after 2011, although I don't really recall him fucking up, he just looked very unhealthy during those last couple of years.

I guess being the bass player in Guns wears on a guy.  Duff was a walking zombie at the end of the UYI tour.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RONIN said:

Tommy needed the money...badly. And he's been really upfront about that fact over the years. Iirc, he was working as a telemarketer to make ends meet before getting the GnR gig.

It also appears he was the primary bully of the band - him and Del did not want Bucket in the band and were jealous of how much time Axl was spending with Bucket if rumors are to be believed. And then there was Finck who felt he should be the primary lead guitarist and resented Buckethead's prominence in the inner circle. The band politics of the late 90's - mid 00's essentially revolved around who could jockey enough face-time with the redhead.

At the end of the day, aside from Bucket and Finck, the rest of the "band" were basically just collecting paychecks.  If they had talent and options (Bucket, Finck, Freese, Brain), they left for greener pastures soon after they realized the emperor had no clothes and Nu Guns was doomed.

He worked as a telemarketer? Wow, that's pretty amazing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

Ted Bundy worked at a suicide crisis hotline so Tommy working as a telemarketer is par for the course in this strange world.

Very true, lol.  Or David Lee Roth as a paramedic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RONIN said:

Tommy needed the money...badly. And he's been really upfront about that fact over the years. Iirc, he was working as a telemarketer to make ends meet before getting the GnR gig.

It also appears he was the primary bully of the band - him and Del did not want Bucket in the band and were jealous of how much time Axl was spending with Bucket if rumors are to be believed. And then there was Finck who felt he should be the primary lead guitarist and resented Buckethead's prominence in the inner circle. The band politics of the late 90's - mid 00's essentially revolved around who could jockey enough face-time with the redhead.

At the end of the day, aside from Bucket and Finck, the rest of the "band" were basically just collecting paychecks.  If they had talent and options (Bucket, Finck, Freese, Brain), they left for greener pastures soon after they realized the emperor had no clothes and Nu Guns was doomed.

You have a screwed up logic to life me friend. 

We all (including you) have to do what we can to survive and support yourself or a family. We have all done things that we dont like or what we have to do for our own reasons to survive. 

Tommy did what he had to do at the time to survive. 

Don't put people down for doing what it takes to survive, to put food on the table and a roof over your or your family's head. 

I would presume you would be a hired hand (employed by someone ) to provide for yourself and or your family

Tommy has been open about his personal issues around that time Including having to raise a child as a single parent. 

You drag up things that happened in the past with this band or people associated with it regularly. 

From what i have seen recently of interviews with Tommy he seems at peace with himself. That means he probably looked back in the past, realised his mistakes, the affects of those actions and his moved on in life. 

That is clear in relation to him being able to attend NITLT showa as a fan as an outsider looking in able to enjoy  the show and speak openly about how happy he was for Axl, Slash and Duff to be on stage together again. 

Tommy has moved on i am sure unlike you he is not looking back.

What good would that do as you cannot change the past. 

 

Edited by kiwiguns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

You have a screwed up logic to life me friend. 

We all (including you) have to do what we can to survive and support yourself or a family. We have all done things that we dont like or what we have to do for our own reasons to survive. 

Tommy did what he had to do at the time to survive. 

Don't put people down for doing what it takes to survive, to put food on the table and a roof over your or your family's head. 

I would presume you would be a hired hand (employed by someone ) to provide for yourself and or your family

Tommy has been open about his personal issues around that time Including having to raise a child as a single parent. 

You drag up things that happened in the past with this band or people associated with it regularly. 

From what i have seen recently of interviews with Tommy he seems at peace with himself. That means he probably looked back in the past, realised his mistakes, the affects of those actions and his moved on in life. 

That is clear in relation to him being able to attend NITLT showa as a fan as an outsider looking in able to enjoy  the show and speak openly about how happy he was for Axl, Slash and Duff to be on stage together again. 

Tommy has moved on i am sure unlike you he is not looking back.

What good would that do as you cannot change the past. 

 

I'm not taking a shot at Tommy in my post nor putting down people who take jobs for money. Not sure where you got that my man. We all have to do what it takes to pay the bills, I'm not scorning someone doing that at all. Someone asked why Tommy was in the band if he disliked/mocked GnR and another person responded that he did it for money. I was following up with my thoughts to that conversation. And for the record, while I respect people doing whatever it takes to feed their families (including playing in bands they don't care about for money) - my personal preference would be for Guns to have members who actually are passionate about the gig for starters. I think most people would be into that.

In the case of Nu Guns, a majority of the band members weren't fans nor all that creatively invested - some of them were literally collecting paychecks and didn't give a fuck (Freese has been quite open about that). It is what it is. And honestly, it kinda showed - nu guns never felt like a real band and the music was a mixed bag for many (I'd wager in large part due to the lack of band cohesiveness). The people who were passionate about the gig, Finck and Bucket, left in frustration once they realized nothing would happen. And both of these guys could have made a fortune (as Tommy did) had they stayed with Guns. They left so they could continue to create art instead of having their recording sessions boxed up and filed away in some locker year after year. Those two have flourished outside of Guns. And I respect that - I respect their artistic integrity to bail from a creatively defunct enterprise once they understood it wasn't going anywhere.

Fair point though, I do bring up the past regularly. In case you haven't noticed, this band lives in the past. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^ until this band release new music or  put an official statement to confirm to the fans new music is being worked we will continue to talk about the past....because at the moment thats all there is to talk about :question:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what I don't get ... Drugs and booze pretty nuch broke up the original line up so Axl goes and hires an drunken bass player??

Edited by lukepowell1988

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

You know what I don't get ... Drugs and booze pretty nuch broke up the original line up so Axl goes and hires an drunken bass player??

And then Duff, Slash and Matt hired an equally volatile singer as Axl in Scott Weiland.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, soon said:

And then Duff, Slash and Matt hired an equally volatile singer as Axl in Scott Weiland.

Makes no sense does it? 

 

It's like United selling Jones and replacing him with a brick both equally fucking useless ... Mind you a brick could defend better 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×