UCR best and worst Gn'R songs

Ok I'll join, just the best, can't keep it to just one...this is always fun :lol:

AFD - Jungle, Brownstone, PC, SCOM, Rocket Queen

Lies - Patience, OIAM (I see it more as an art piece and never got too hung up about the lyrics) and having heard MTTC acoustic version I would count that to the best the acoustic tracks as well)

UYI I - NR, Dead Horse, Coma

UYI II - Civil War, 14 Years, Yesterdays, Breakdown, Locomotive, Estranged, YCBM...their best album IMO

TSI - I'll pass...love the idea, sound and production but prefer the originals over GNR covers

CD - TWAT, Catcher, Sorry, Prostitute

Covers - Don't let it bring you down, Sympathy, The Seeker (they do way too much covers and never dare to get really creative with them, but these are really good)

Personal #1 favourite GNR song: Breakdown

Edited by adamsapple

1 hour ago, Coma16 said:

Look at Your Game Girl is a great song. Do people dislike it because it's an Axl song?

Actually, it's a Charles Manson song. Maybe that's why people dislike it. I think aside from being a psycho, Manson was quite a talented musician and songwriter, too bad he became "famous" in such horrible context and not for his music.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coma16 said:

Look at Your Game Girl is a great song. Do people dislike it because it's an Axl song?

It is an incredible song but as adamsapple said it is a Manson song. I never liked that it was a hidden track either. It was too good for that no matter who wrote it.

I can't be bothered thinking about what's best and what's worst from every album. But I think every GNR album (even Appetite) has a mix of brilliant and terrible songs, mostly leaning towards the former. 

For me, that's partly what makes me love them so much. Chinese Democracy aside, they were a band who completely ignored any attempt at self-consciousness - and I think that's a key part of what makes so many people love them so much.

23 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Move To The City bad? 

source.gif

Anything Goes. 

OIAM only for the lyrics.

My World, obviously.

I refuse to comment on cover albums.

Scraped or This I Love. But Scraped. 

So you’re saying you don’t like OIAM lyrics? Or that you do?

1 hour ago, Rock the Cock said:

For me, that's partly what makes me love them so much. Chinese Democracy aside, they were a band who completely ignored any attempt at self-consciousness - and I think that's a key part of what makes so many people love them so much.

I'm sorry to be the dickhead who quotes himself, but does anyone actually disagree with this? In my opinion, one of the things that makes GNR so great is that they really don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks, including their fans.

Alrighty, my first post in a while, here we we go:

AFD: Welcome To The Jungle / Think About You
Lies: Patience / Used To Love Her
UYI I: Coma / Bad Apples
UYI II: Estranged or You Could Be Mine / My World
CD: There Was A Time / Riad N' The Bedouins

Ps. I left out The Spaghetti Incident? for it is a purely covers album

LLAS

Best - Reckless Life

Worst - Move to tge City

Appetite

Best - Paradise City

Worst - You’re Crazy

Lies

Best - Patience 

Worst - You’re Crazy

UYI I 

Best - Coma

Worst - You Ain’t the First

UYI II

Best - Estranged

Worst - My World

TSI? 

Best - Human Being

Worst - Look at Your Game

Chinese

Best - Madagascar

Worst - Scraped

4 minutes ago, Billly B said:

For those who said Riad for CD, listen to the opening to Scraped and for the full song with audio glitches.

Scraped is definitely the 2nd worst on the album, but it was way better live than Riad was so I kinda appreciate it a little more for that. And I like the 'buried' 2nd chorus in Scraped; "I'd give anything to know...". It's a more 'interesting' song overall than Riad, imperfections aside.

Appetite: Best- Paradise City; Worst- Anything Goes
Lies: Best- Patience; Worst- You're Crazy
UYI I: Best- November Rain; Worst- Live and Let Die
UYI II: Best- You Could Be Mine; Worst- My World
TSI?: Best- Since I Don't Have You; Worst- Attitude
ChiDem: Best- There Was a Time; Worst- Scraped

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

Surprised some people picked So Fine as worst song over filler like My World and Shotgun Blues.

So Fine is a fun little song with some nice dynamic changes. Even if the lyrics suck and Duff can't really sing.

I admit i  like this song mainly because of the dynamics and slashs slide solo.

• Like 2

On 12.1.2019 at 9:39 PM, Coma16 said:

I just meant as in only Axl was involved with having it on the record.

Sure Manson may have been a looney but the song itself is great. People need to learn to separate emotion from entertainment. Loving me some Cosby show reruns! 

I just don't like the song, even though I didn't listed it as the worst one. It has nothing to do with who wrote it. People need to learn that there are different opinions about songs. 

There are songs listed as best songs that I thought about to list them as the worst and vice versa.

Many people here seem to love Since I Don't Have You, which I personally hate. I dislike it way more than LAYGG

• Like 1

MY personal opinion:

Appetite For Destruction:

Best: Welcome to the Jungle

Worst: Out ta get me

Lies:

Best: Patience

Worst: One in a million

Use You Illusion I:

Best: November Rain

Worst: Bad Apples (By far IMO)

Use Your Illusion II:

Best: You Could be Mine

Worst: My World

The Spaghetti Incident?!:

Best: Since I' dont have you

Worst: Look at your game girl

Chinese Democracy:

Best: This I love

Worst: Riad N bedouins

On 1/12/2019 at 10:51 AM, Coma16 said:

It's fine, I wouldn't say it's great.  It is lacking a good hook and really outside of its orgins there isn't anything too interesting about it.   I wouldn't say it is bad but I wouldn't say it's good either.  It's fine.  Honestly until track 12 I really most of TSI? but I never cared much for either song that occupy track 12.   But I do think both were a good way to end the album.  

Raw Power and Human Being back to back is far more enjoyable ;)

Here's mine:

AFD

Best: WTTJ

Worst: You're Crazy (Not bad, but not great)

LIES

Best: Patience

Worst: Reckless Life (It's mostly Axl's whiny voice that I dislike on the live side of Lies. This is one song where Axl might actually sound better these days if he used the AC/DC voice. I much prefer Axl's voice on Nice Boys from 2010 compared to Nice Boys on Lies.)

UYI1 

Best: Coma

Worst: Back Of Bitch (it's too cheesy for my taste)

UYI2

Best: Estranged

Worst: My World (If you can even call it a song)

SI

Best: Down On The Farm

Worst: Buick Makane (it's just boring)

CD

Best: Better

Worst: If The World (it's too cheesy for my taste)

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Scraped is definitely the 2nd worst on the album, but it was way better live than Riad was so I kinda appreciate it a little more for that. And I like the 'buried' 2nd chorus in Scraped; "I'd give anything to know...". It's a more 'interesting' song overall than Riad, imperfections aside.

Riad doesn't have generic lyrics and has better guitar work with more polished sound. Scrapped is just sounds stupid with the intro and the lyrics are at a Nickelback level. With all the glitches in the song that made the album, you can tell it wasn't finished and was the last minute add in to replace Atlas.  To me that is the reason why I think it is the worst song on CD.

If it was played on the album like it was live, it would have been better. Better would have been better if it is played like it currently is live.

Edited by Billly B