Game of Thrones - The Final Season (***SPOILERS***)

AtariLegend

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

I like the end points in general. What I don't like is how everyone clearly respects Bran but we didn't really see why, looks like everyone knows what 3ER does but we didn't see except some flashbacks and offscreen Tyrion talks 

Bran comes across very poorly in this. They changed parts of his story in the earlier seasons and then in season 5 litterally left the character out, because they thought it be too boring.

You litterally have a character who can see through time and control animals/people with his mind, that does nothing for seasons. Then the dialogue they wrote for him, makes him into a creep and makes it look like he planned this all so he could end up as king. Just bizarre.

I'm convinced that the Sansa, Bronn, Tyrion, Arya and Greyworm endings are things they came up with themselves. 

I think though that ask me again in 10 years line is fitting, if George ever finishes the books.

Bet if the prequel is a success, there's going to be alot of demand for a sequel spin off show. 

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

Yeah I wonder how similar Books 6 and 7 are going to be to seasons 6-8. Anyone have any ideas? I heard that a lot of the characters are in very different places in the books right now, and that there are other characters from the books that don’t even exist in the show.

all in all, I thought the finally was fine. Not bad, not great. Just fine. A lot of Return of the King similarities, but I guess that’s inevitable with it being a high fantasy series and all.

i think I like where all the characters ended up, just not how they got there.

Edited by rocknroll41

I didn't mind the finale though it felt like just wrapping up loose ends.  I actually liked the second last episode which felt more finale to me anyway.

I did think that having one male and one female as taking the thrones was a cheap way around who should end up reigning.  But I did like Arya's story.  She needed to head to something bigger, and there would be nothing but rebuilding for these lands.  So I liked Arya sailing west - into the sequel.

From what I remember of where the books were left, the only one that is walking towards what happened in the show is Tyrion. The rest... I mean, the old man can be giving them the same endings, but he will definitely get there in a better way, OR he could be going somewhere totally different. I have no idea, and frankly if the books were released today I wouldn't even want to read them. I'm mad at Bran doing nothing but being a creep and then sitting on the throne and Jon just being sent away fro no fucking reason. Give me some time and I will once again have faith that George will explain it all.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I wonder how similar Books 6 and 7 are going to be to seasons 6-8. Anyone have any ideas? I heard that a lot of the characters are in very different places in the books right now, and that there are other characters from the books that don’t even exist in the show.

all in all, I thought the finally was fine. Not bad, not great. Just fine. A lot of Return of the King similarities, but I guess that’s inevitable with it being a high fantasy series and all.

i think I like where all the characters ended up, just not how they got there.

Dany going ham on King's Landing and dies from Jon's hand cause she lost friends, one/two dragons, Jon doesn't love her after finding out about his parents, we see openly how people of Westeros don't like her. Basically the same just without bullshit made up scenes of ambush ships.

Wall going down but in a different fashion. Maybe that horn mentioned a lot. White walkers being dead but I have no idea how, I don't think Martin knows/told D&D either

Jaime fighting against WW and then dies with Cersei. The same really, just with more inner thoughts.

Pact with Cersei from season 7 is different and not cause that bullshit quest. But I guess she ultimately betrays it and Jaime leaves

(f)Aegon and Varys end up burned alive by Dany like Sam's family did in the show

Bran gets to be a king, but we are left to wonder if he's evil or not. Kinda like the show did just more subtle

My guess

Edited by Nicklord

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

One thing I'm confused about. Do people other than the Starks and Tyrion actually know who Jon was at the end?

I think Varys knew because Tyrion told him. And that was one of the reasons he decided to betray Daenerys. Once Jon Snow told his siblings turned cousins more people knew about it

42 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Democracy. What a stupid idea.

I am happy Sansa gets to be Queen in the North. The North deserves independence. 

One reason I think it's obvious, that doesn't happen in the books, is because in George's original draft Sansa wasn't even a principal character. Add in Rickon. 

You could say maybe George told them Rickon would die, however given the contempt they treated the character with I'm not sure. They litterally wouldn't even let him speak in season 6.

Also if the great houses were the ones voting, why no Howland Reed? Again it can only be explained if they hated Ellie Kendrick.

Fyi I did love this show, despite the writing post season 4 and will miss it.

Anyone seriously comparing the finale though to Dexter clearly doesn't remember Dexter. The finale of that show was a seemingly intentional fuck you to anyone that forced themselves to watch it past it's season 4.

1 minute ago, Coma16 said:

Why was it snowing ?

D/D kinda forgot that Winter came, went then came again in the space of 7 episodes 

6 minutes ago, Deb Rose said:

I just assumed it was ashes settling. I mean, there was a LOT of burning. But it was too white, I guess.  

In the original script for the season 2 vision it's snow. Some on the show though said it was a mistake and it was Ash on the throne in an attempt to retcon a spoiler.

They didn't know where the story was going when they included those visions in earlier seasons. They probably did assume the story ended with Jon on the throne.

Also think Bran's vision in season 4 was a mistake when they didn't include snow. So maybe that's why they had it not snow in episode 5?

People are thinking this is long term planning, but really they're retconning past scenes to try and make things make sense.

Not that it matters, but I'm surprised Daario was never mentioned again.

Edited by AtariLegend

23 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Dany going ham on King's Landing and dies from Jon's hand cause she lost friends, one/two dragons, Jon doesn't love her after finding out about his parents, we see openly how people of Westeros don't like her. Basically the same just without bullshit made up scenes of ambush ships.

I was fine with the one dragon getting taken out by the Scorpions because he was wounded and wasn't using any evasive tactics. But when Dany took out the fleet with Drogon it should have been a night attack or Drogon could have been used like a submarine and blew up the ships from the sea.

From Grrm himself:

NOT A BLOG

PREVIOUS ENTRY

An Ending

MAY 20, 2019

The last night, the last show.   After eight epic seasons, HBO’s GAME OF THRONES series has come to an end.

It is hard to believe it is over, if truth be told.   The years have gone past in the blink of an eye.  Can it really have been more than a decade since my manager Vince Gerardis set up a meeting at the Palm in LA, and I sat down for the first time with David Benioff and D.B. Weiss for a lunch that lasted well past dinner?  I asked them if they knew who Jon Snow’s mother was.   Fortunately, they did.

That was how it started.  It ended last night.

I had no clue, that afternoon at the Palm, that I was about to embark on a journey that would change my life.   I had optioned books and stories for television and film before.  Some had even been made   There was no way to know that this one was going to be different, that this pilot would not only be shot,  but would go on to become the most successful show in the history of HBO, win a record number of Emmy Awards, become the most popular (and most pirated) show in the world, and transform a group of talented but largely unknown actors into major celebrities and stars.   Even less did I imagine that I would somehow become a celebrity as well… and if truth be told, I’m still not sure how that happened.

It has been a wild ride, to say the least.

I want to thank people, but there are so many.   There were forty-two cast members at the season eight premiere in New York City, and that wasn’t even all of them.   And the crew, though less visible than the cast, were no less important.  We had some amazing people working on this show, as all those Emmys bear witness.   David & Dan assembled a championship team.   The directors were incredible as well.   I should start naming names, but then I’d miss someone, there were so many.   But I do need to mention David Benioff, Dan Weiss, Bryan Cogman (the third head of the dragon, as I said in the recent VANITY FAIR piece about him), and of course the great team at HBO, headed by Richard Plepler.   Any other network, and GAME OF THRONES would not have been what it became.  Most other networks, this series never gets made at all.

I could go on and on… and have, as I’ve been writing this post in my head… but there’s really too much to say.   Parting is such sweet sorrow, the Bard wrote.  In the weeks and months to come, I may post about some of my favorite moments from the making of this show… now and again, when I am feeling nostalgic… but just now, there are so many memories, and no time to do them all justice.

Let me say this much — last night was an ending, but it was also a beginning.   Nobody is retiring any time soon.   David and Dan are going on to STAR WARS and other projects beyond that.   Amazon scooped up Bryan Cogman, and put him to work on developing shows of his own, as well as helping out on their big Tolkien project.   Our brilliant cast has scattered to the four winds, but you’ll be seeing a lot of them in the years to come, in all manner of television shows and movies.   Our directors are keeping busy as well.   I suspect that you have not seen the last of Westeros on your television sets either, but I guess that all depends on how some of these successor shows turn out.

And me?  I’m still here, and I’m still busy.    As a producer, I’ve got five shows in development at HBO (some having nothing whatsoever to do with the world of Westeros), two at Hulu, one on the History Channel.   I’m involved with a number of feature projects, some based upon my own stories and books, some on material created by others.   There are these short films I am hoping to make, adaptations of classic stories by one of the most brilliant, quirky, and original writers our genre has ever produced.   I’ve consulted on a video game out of Japan.   And then there’s Meow Wolf…

And I’m writing.   Winter is coming, I told you, long ago… and so it is.   THE WINDS OF WINTER is very late, I know, I know, but it will be done.  I won’t say when, I’ve tried that before, only to burn you all and jinx myself… but I will finish it, and then will come A DREAM OF SPRING.

How will it all end? I hear people asking.   The same ending as the show?  Different?

Well… yes.  And no.  And yes.   And no.   And yes.   And no.   And yes.

I am working in a very different medium than David and Dan, never forget.   They had six hours for this final season.   I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3000 manuscript pages between them before I’m done… and if more pages and chapters and scenes are needed, I’ll add them.   And of course the butterfly effect will be at work as well; those of you who follow this Not A Blog will know that I’ve been talking about that since season one.   There are characters who never made it onto the screen at all, and others who died in the show but still live in the books… so if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI, and a myriad of other characters both great and small that viewers of the show never had the chance to meet.   And yes, there will be unicorns… of a sort…

Book or show, which will be the “real” ending?   It’s a silly question.   How many children did Scarlett O’Hara have?

How about this?  I’ll write it.   You read it.  Then everyone can make up their own mind, and argue about it on the internet.

• Like 2

Supposedly the original season 8 plan had Jorah surving and going to the wall after the Winterfell battle while Danny matched south. 

They changed it, because this was apparently something they thought was a logic gap? So they killed him off instead in Danny's arms. 

The final scene was supposed to be Jon, Jorah and Tormund heading North of the wall.

Just goes to show for the long term planning. At least it wasn't we had Arya kill the Night King, because Jon is the hero and this was unexpected terroity.

Edited by AtariLegend

• 4 weeks later...