Game of Thrones - The Final Season (***SPOILERS***)

AtariLegend

13 minutes ago, username said:

I've read that ep 5 and 6 leaked. Not sure if true. But if they have, this is going to be a long night! (No pun intended) 

If they had leaked yet, we'd already be watching them. 

Only thing leaked is the spoilers about what happens in them.

Odds are though episode 5 will leak before it airs like the rest.

No spoilers, but this is the penultimate episode tonight. This is what the show is all coming down too. 

Surprised there isn't more hype in the thread?

Looking forward to watching this, but I do want sleep too. Surprised the episode hasn't leaked on full online.

Few quick thoughts.

Spoiler

Jamie's arc was a disaster since season 4. They shouldn't have changed it.

Danny and Jon's arc I think is one of the few things this season that has anything to with the books. Albeit with a completely different context.

Cleganebowl while it have seemed cool on paper, makes no narrative sense and came across as silly fan service. 

Euron might as well have been left out of the show. Harry Strickland too.

The fake out death scenes are really silly and jaring from the earlier seasons.

D/D are not Grrm.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

I loved tonight's episode. 

Spoiler

They had the stones to 'go there' with Daenarys' character. She's been pretty borderline evil for awhile now and this was the payoff. She's just another tyrant, and now she's done worse than Cersei ever did. The people who could see this coming weren't listened to and many innocents have paid the price for it. How many times has this happened in the history of the globe. Yes, I loved this episode.

I'm sad and disappointed.  

I'm fine with Dany burning it all down, but the whole Jamie/Cersei thing was terrible. Cleganebowl too. And Tyrion.

So the last episode is Jon vs Dany. 

I'm betting on Dany killing Sansa and Jon. Then Arya killing Dany. 

Edited by username

Further justification why I loved this episode.

Spoiler

I mean, was Daenary's ever that likable as a character. Why did she think the people of Westeros would love her, she's an outsider who means nothing to them. She's had some evil mixed in with the good for a while. Was there really a need to burn a bunch of people for not bending the knee. Could they not be exiled? Did she have to use the Northern armies to take Kings Landing after they had just been in the battle of their lives. Does she have any regard for them? And when she learned the truth about Jon, why not rally behind him? He has the more rightful claim to the throne. The people of the North actually love him, wheras she really doesn't have a base of support anywhere in Westeros. It makes sense that she finally went full Dresden/Hiroshima on King's Landing. She's just not that good of a person, and has been written that way for awhile now. This was always her destiny when she took off for Westeros.

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan

It's a storyline they got too in 1 episode. It was not built up over the years.

In fact it actually made Tyrion and Varys look bad for suddenly deciding that she's the problem in the last episode before anything happened. Sansa looks like a villian and given what they done with Jamie, who are you supposed to root for? Betting the Briene thing was just fanservice.

It's not because characters are more grey than good or bad like the source material, it's just bad writing.

Jon the central proganist is a complete idiot. He's looked like he was just lucky to survive everything for seasons now. Does nothing, but brood and act silly.

This really shouldn't have been ending the story as fast as possible in 2 final shorter seasons. They should have hired better writers and at least went full seasons.

It's pretty minor, but why do armies in this shows always stand outside their gates? I mean the whole defending a fortified position thing has been discarded for 3 seasons now in favour of TV aesetics.

Just a quick last thing, Varys betrayed the last 5 monarchs, why are we pretending that's it for the realm. Have D/D not watched season 1 in 5 years or do they just really like the actor, like they like Bronn?

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

How are there still Dothrakis alive is my question.

The rest was shitty. The Daenarys thing went as expected and how it's been building up for years, but the rest... Good Lord! 

There was a time Tyrion would be smarter than that.

Jamie had this whole internal battle to just act like it never happened.

Cersei deserved much much worse.

I thought Arya would do more, though I think (or more like hope, with this shitty writing) she will do it all next episode.

I must have other complaints, but I'm too pissed to remember them all.

RELEASE THE BOOKS, GEORGE! LOOK AT WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO YOUR STORY!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

It's a storyline they got too in 1 episode. It was not built up over the years.

In fact it actually made Tyrion and Varys look bad for suddenly deciding that she's the problem in the last episode before anything happened. Sansa looks like a villian and given what they done with Jamie, who are you supposed to root for? Betting the Briene thing was just fanservice.

How does Varys look bad? He saw the writing on the wall with Dany. There were tons of signs she wouldn't be the great ruler she was in her own mind. Same with Sansa, they spoke up when it wasn't popular, and were ignored.

3 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

It's not because characters are more grey than good or bad like the source material, it's just bad writing.

Jon the central proganist is a complete idiot. He's looked like he was just lucky to survive everything for seasons now. Does nothing, but brood and act silly.

This really shouldn't have been ending the story as fast as possible in 2 final shorter seasons. They should have hired better writers and at least went full seasons.

It's pretty minor, but why do armies in this shows always stand outside their gates? I mean the whole defending a fortified position thing has been discarded for 3 seasons now in favour of TV aesetics.

Just a quick last thing, Varys betrayed the last 5 monarchs, why are we pretending that's it for the realm. Have D/D not watched season 1 in 5 years or do they just really like the actor, like they like Bronn?

Agree on Jon, but look who he was raised by. The most moral character of the show, but not cunning at all. The last five monarchs have been poor leaders! Varys wanted to see a decent ruler for once. 

Jaime's story is perfectly fine if you ask me and I love it a lot actually. He was a jerk, he was finally realizing he was a jerk, he was trying to stop being a jerk and acted like a knight should but in the end he realized that he belongs with his sister/love of his life and he accepts that and embraces it. He finally knows who he is, who he was and that's what his story was about. It's not going full circle. He is not the same guy from the first episode

17 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Hide contents

Jaime's story is perfectly fine if you ask me and I love it a lot actually. He was a jerk, he was finally realizing he was a jerk, he was trying to stop being a jerk and acted like a knight should but in the end he realized that he belongs with his sister/love of his life and he accepts that and embraces it. He finally knows who he is, who he was and that's what his story was about. It's not going full circle. He is not the same guy from the first episode

Agree about Jaime

Spoiler

And it's not like he didn't have a redemption. I mean he fought for humanity in the battle of Winterfell when he didn't have to. You can't take that away from him. But yes, the true love of his life was Cersei, and that's where he belonged in the end.

1 hour ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

This whole thing is rushed.

Only 1 episode left to tie it up.

Odds on Tysha, Meera, Howland Reed, Rickon or Illiryo being mentioned again?

For the record, despite the strong complainants... Jamie's entire arc was the least problematic part for me.

Jon's portrayal was worse than all. Danny's just had bad writing/set up, Jon is just useless. There's literally no reason for him to just stand there and struggle to speak in every other scene. Terribly written protagonist.

2 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

That was bad but the best episode of the season yet. This whole thing is rushed.

This. Everything feels too simple or too random. There's not real development or build anymore. Characters now just do things. 

Spoiler

Also, where was all the highy unstable wildfire? Shouldn't that have gone boom too? Or did they use it all up when blowing up the church of the 7? 

Edit: Nevermind, I must've missed the green boom's the first time. 

Edit 2: Does this mean the pieces of rock were Cersei's little brother? I REALLY wanted it to be Tyrion or Jamie.... 

Edited by username

5 hours ago, username said:

This. Everything feels too simple or too random. There's not real development or build anymore. Characters now just do things. 

Hide contents

Also, where was all the highy unstable wildfire? Shouldn't that have gone boom too? Or did they use it all up when blowing up the church of the 7? 

Edit: Nevermind, I must've missed the green boom's the first time. 

Edit 2: Does this mean the pieces of rock were Cersei's little brother? I REALLY wanted it to be Tyrion or Jamie.... 

They didn't use that Cersei will be killed by little brother part in the show

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have been watching this but don't understand the criticism in that the show has always been a bit silly really. 

In a nutshell the show went from this when it was an adaption

to this with the producers writing:

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 6:30 PM, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Agree about Jaime

Reveal hidden contents

And it's not like he didn't have a redemption. I mean he fought for humanity in the battle of Winterfell when he didn't have to. You can't take that away from him. But yes, the true love of his life was Cersei, and that's where he belonged in the end.

Also he didn't betray anyone. He only wanted to save Cersei and their child. He didn't turn on Dany, Jon and the rest.