Gilby considers himself "pretty good at picking out guitar parts", but he picked them all wrong at least once -- by his own admission

ludurigan

10 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I meant the first twenty seconds. I know it doesn't seem too important, and that's why he didn't get a songwriting credit for it. 

But it's the same with Sweet Child... it's mainly Izzy, Slash and Axl's song, but Duff wrote that bass melody in the intro, which isn't insignificant either. I think in many songs Duff was probably the glue who put a lot of things together and added small things that might have not been enough to give him a songwriting credit if you want to go all technical, but he did add something to the song. I read an interview with Duff where he said that he wrote a lot more for the UYI's than he got credit for. Like the bass melody in the intro of Pretty Tied Up... I can imagine Duff coming up with that and not getting a songwriting credit for it because it's played over Izzy's composition.

funny that these are my exact thoughts about izzy

i always saw him as the glue who put things together

3 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

funny that these are my exact thoughts about izzy

i always saw him as the glue who put things together

Maybe he was too, who knows? I just know that Duff talked about this a lot, being a drummer, guitarist, and bassplayer, therefore being able to put everything sorta together when they were working on songs.

He talks about it in this clip too.

9 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Maybe he was too, who knows? I just know that Duff talked about this a lot, being a drummer, guitarist, and bassplayer, therefore being able to put everything sorta together when they were working on songs.

He talks about it in this clip too.

yeah i agree

about a few months before the reunion fakunion duff mentioned how izzy was good at structuring a song

did you catch that?

Edited by ludurigan

3 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

yeah i agree

about a few months before the reunion duff mentioned how izzy was good at structuring a song

did you catch that?

No. But wasn't Izzy also a drummer in a band before GnR? So he probably came in with a broader perspective than let's say Slash or Steven in those early days. I'm sure nowadays it's a different story because all of them are veterans, but it seemed that at the beginning Duff had the most experience.

9 minutes ago, EvanG said:

No. But wasn't Izzy also a drummer in a band before GnR? So he probably came in with a broader perspective than let's say Slash or Steven in those early days. I'm sure nowadays it's a different story because all of them are veterans, but it seemed that at the beginning Duff had the most experience.

yeah surely Duff had been in more bands than anyone at that point, i am not sure if he had written full good songs at that point. izzy had written a lot of great songs with axl and chris webber. yes, izzy played drums and bass also in some other band (London if i am not mistaken)

this is the Duff's quote about Izzy right after they recorded stuff for Duff's EP

"I had a really good time just creating… I've played on a bunch of Izzy records over the last fifteen years, and it was just really nice to be in the studio with him for a couple of days. I really trust whatever he does. If he says, 'I've got a bridge. I've got a part,' I know he's got a part. It's not, like, 'Oh, let me hear it.' It's, like, 'Okay, he's got the part. Good. That's taken care of.' And, yeah, I'd like to do more music with him — always; for the rest of my life."

source: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-would-like-to-keep-making-music-with-izzy-stradlin-for-rest-of-his-life/

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

I think Duff is more important than people give him credit for, and even though he does have a distinctive sound for a bassplayer, of course he's no Slash or Axl whose guitar and voice really create the GnR sound.

But I think in other aspects Duff was rather important. For example, it was Duff who wrote the intro to You Could Be Mine.

And Duff wrote " is't so easy " too .

1 minute ago, ludurigan said:

yep, duff and west arkeen

:headbang:

then it was "raped" by the band and it became the what it became

:headbang:

I love much " Is't so easy " , is a very important song to GNR history , you mean they " stolen " this song West Arkeen❓❓ first time i heard it.

everyone in GNR was a perfect fit up to 1994 and the disolvment of possibly greatest band ever.

Both Matt and Gilby were perfect fit, both sound and image wise.

UYI's were different sound compared to AFD, would they soud equally good with Steve? Hard to tell. I personally though that Matt's bombastic drum was one of the UYI trade marks. YCBM, Back off, Double talkin jive, Perfect crime...

Fact is, Steve came to a point where band he was non productive for the band, if anyone was to replace him - I am glad it was Matt.  I mean, honestly, I don't think he would have been able to pull the reunion through.  Look at him trying to put a band together...It doesn't work out even today, 30 yrs later.

As far as Gilby...Iz DIDN'T want to be in the band anyomore. They were shutting down his amps, Ax mental state was at the point where he could no longer be worked with if one was sober.

Gilby came in as an extension to the band and Slash. His playing, presence...that was it.

Unfortunately, once the reunion started, they were so gready that instead of spending few thousand more and have a BAND (Iz or Gilb + Matt), they kept the revolving door of Ax's circus tent on going by adding Mel.

For ppl never seeing them, it was great to see them, for many true fans - another Ax tribute band. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ratam said:

I love much " Is't so easy " , is a very important song to GNR history , you mean they " stolen " this song West Arkeen❓❓ first time i heard it.

its a famous story about how the song was written by west and duff and once the band got its hands on it they turned it into something else

Axl quote:

"'It's So Easy'...was originally a hippie ya-ya song. And Duff and West wrote this song like on acoustic, and it literally went like: [singing country-like] "I see your sister in a sunday dress..." Oh absolutely, and we were rehearsing in L.A and Slash basically just starts raping the song and I ran up and started like, doing like the evil Iggy Pop over it, while West is standing there and his face is like drooping, like: "My song 78492.png" [Eddie Trunk Interview, 2006]

SOURCE: http://www.a-4-d.com/t73-it-s-so-easy

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

its a famous story about how the song was written by west and duff and once the band got its hands on it they turned it into something else

Axl quote:

"'It's So Easy'...was originally a hippie ya-ya song. And Duff and West wrote this song like on acoustic, and it literally went like: [singing country-like] "I see your sister in a sunday dress..." Oh absolutely, and we were rehearsing in L.A and Slash basically just starts raping the song and I ran up and started like, doing like the evil Iggy Pop over it, while West is standing there and his face is like drooping, like: "My song 78492.png" [Eddie Trunk Interview, 2006]

But for i interpret they switch  Easy as is now,  i guess they make better , for my is a perfect song with great punch , i can't imagine Easy acustic song .I noticed that Axl was very sincere about West Arkeen ,because he recognized Arkeen work , Axl would ignored Arkeen work.Good for Axl.

It's funny about the West Arkeen quote, because in Duff's book he mentioned that the only reason West got a song credit is because he showed Duff alternate tunings on the guitar that Duff didn't know about, and if it wasn't for that, the song wouldn't have been written.

Edited by EvanG

Its interesting that Duff contributed to the iconic drum intro for YCBM. Because the lyrics are referenced in the AFD booklet. And then Adler didnt make it to the recording of YCBM. Its like the band was always eating away at itself.

I mean, its cool and normal that various members in a band apply their creativity in many ways. A bassist can write a drum riff, I get that. But its just like the writing was always on the wall for this bands disintegration. And the vying for power: Play this drum, turn Izzy down, hire Dizzy, write with Paul, etc.

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

Axl quote:

Its hilarious to me that Axl believed that the song would be a hippie song if on acoustic in a different arrangement. Like, the lyrics are still the same! How on Earth is "See me hit you, you fall down" a hippie thing? 

For no reason at all, here is my hippie lyric rewrite for first verse and chorus of ISE:

I see your sister in a tie dye dress/ she's eats no meat/ her names Celeste/ makes zucchini cake/ its dry/ helps endangered apes mate

Its so Etsy, Etsy/ when everybody's omming to free me, baby/ yeah its so Etsy, Etsy/ when the Tarot Cards are all seeing 

:facepalm::lol: I'll see myself out

Edited by soon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, soon said:

Its hilarious to me that Axl believed that the song would be a hippie song if on acoustic in a different arrangement. Like, the lyrics are still the same! How on Earth is "See me hit you, you fall down" a hippie thing? 

For no reason at all, here is my hippie lyric rewrite for first verse and chorus of ISE:

I see your sister in a tie dye dress/ she's eats no meat/ her names Celeste/ makes zucchini cake/ its dry/ helps endangered apes mate

Its so Etsy, Etsy/ when everybody's omming to free me, baby/ yeah its so Etsy, Etsy/ when the Tarot Cards are all seeing 

Funny stuff😄  I especially like the "helping endangered apes mate" bit.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, soon said:

the lyrics were probably not complete by then or they have been changed a bit

check this Axl quote:

- 'It's So Easy' was written by Duff and West Arkeen (a friend and co-conspirator of the band), then I wrote the obscene verse because the original sounded too much like 'Night Train' [Screamer, August 1988].

1 hour ago, Ratam said:

But for i interpret they switch  Easy as is now,  i guess they make better , for my is a perfect song with great punch , i can't imagine Easy acustic song .I noticed that Axl was very sincere about West Arkeen ,because he recognized Arkeen work , Axl would ignored Arkeen work.Good for Axl.

yes it has great punch i also agree that they probably made it better

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

It's funny about the West Arkeen quote, because in Duff's book he mentioned that the only reason West got a song credit is because he showed Duff alternate tunings on the guitar that Duff didn't know about, and if it wasn't for that, the song wouldn't have been written.

Duff apparently says some non-true stuff in his book (probably not on purpose), for example he said that he and slash wrote Pretty Tied Up in Chicago, which is probably not true, since by all accounts it was Izzy who wrote it and apparently izzy didnt hang around long enough in Chicago to write with them

1 hour ago, soon said:

Its interesting that Duff contributed to the iconic drum intro for YCBM. Because the lyrics are referenced in the AFD booklet. And then Adler didnt make it to the recording of YCBM. Its like the band was always eating away at itself.

I mean, its cool and normal that various members in a band apply their creativity in many ways. A bassist can write a drum riff, I get that. But its just like the writing was always on the wall for this bands disintegration. And the vying for power: Play this drum, turn Izzy down, hire Dizzy, write with Paul, etc.

all these quotes from the last sentence except "play this drum" apply to one man

and i don't think duff forced matt to play it like he wanted

by all accounts there is just one guy in GNR who used to push stuff down people's throats