sidman69

Our Interview with Dave Dominguez (Chinese Democracy, AFD Re-Recording, Live Era Engineer)

8 hours ago, metallex78 said:

I wish he could’ve shed some further light on the stuff that Slash/Izzy/Duff/Taz recorded, or worked on, and what it sounded like...

Wasn’t that rumoured to be the best sounding GN’R album, instrumentally?

i believe that this "best instrumental GNR album" talk (slash) came from different sessions that izzy, slash and duff did many years later.

if i am not mistaken it was a bit before velvet revolver

but i can be mistaken

On 16/1/2019 at 4:55 PM, sidman69 said:

Last friday we chatted with Dave Dominguez about his time working on Chinese Democracy in 1998. He shared some stories about also working with Slash on the Curdled Movie soundtrack a few weeks before he quit GNR. He also recorded with Duff and Izzy as well. He also chatted about visiting Axl's house and what those early recording sessions with Mike clink were like in the late 90's! Discussion starts around 10-12 minutes into the interview. Enjoy! We've got another big interview coming next week with someone who worked with GNR back in the day!

Guys, thank you SO SO much for this awesome podcast. It shed some more light on one of the most interesting periods in GNR history. Dave comes across as a very cool guy and the story about This I Love literally blew my mind.

Keep up the good work, hope you get to interview more people that were around during those mysterious years.

Edited by Twinaleblood

7 hours ago, ludurigan said:

have you ever listened to "bleedin"?

izzy wrote this song "bleedin'" right around the time that "homie was in deep" as you mentioned

(its from the 117 album released in march 1998)

if i remember correctly some of us in forums were speculating that this song could very well be about homie "dying" for the stephanie lady

now if you ask me id say that there are a few lines on the song that look like dead giveaways for "homie"...

She'd always be out late a-drinkin'
You'd always let it go down
Now she's gone, why you bleedin'...let it go

You gotta know better now you're older
This ain't the end of the world
So get off your ass and get over her
Let it go
Let it go

Whatcha dyin' about, ya gotta let it go
No need to be crying for her man, come on now
You should know

Now time has passed, you're an old man
Way up there high on the hill
Back on the streets it ain't changed much
Yeah I know
Let it go

Whatcha dyin' about, ya gotta let it go
No need to be cryin' for her man, come on now
You should know

Thanks homie

Never heard that song before.

Now I know he knows you know he knows Izzy knows he knows better.

For fucks sake Axl. :facepalm:

So the real version of This I Love w/ the original lineup is lost forever? And the only existing version is the cheesy Broadway POS on CD?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Thanks homie

Never heard that song before.

Now I know he knows you know he knows Izzy knows he knows better.

:rofl-lol:

17 minutes ago, RONIN said:

So the real version of This I Love w/ the original lineup is lost forever? And the only existing version is the cheesy Broadway POS on CD?

by "original" i should understand Axl, Slash and Duff, right? Or was Izzy on the recording as well?

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

:rofl-lol:

by "original" i should understand Axl, Slash and Duff, right? Or was Izzy on the recording as well?

I thought this was part of the 95/96 sessions?.

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I thought this was part of the 95/96 sessions?.

It was in 1992/93 during the Illusions tour.

From what we'd known, Axl generally doesn't throw stuff away. He is said to be recording everything (e.g. he allegedly recorded the rehearsals at the Complex in 1994) and then storing it in some "vault" (forever). And if he had anything erased, it was allegedly parts, not whole songs.

So what happened with TIL is rather unusual behaviour, even for Axl. First he recorded the song in various studios over the world but  "forgot" the tapes there (so did the rest of the band, if it was recorded with the band. And then, years later, when Dave Dominguez collected them, Axl had the whole song deleted, not even just parts of it (I've no idea about this stuff, but I guess it was possible to delete just the vocals, right?). There must have been some really heavy emotional stuff going on.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RONIN said:

I think he said the I love you Stephanie part was erased because at a later date he had to dig up the song on DAT for the film. So it must exist.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 7:17 PM, Grayfox said:

What’s the Elvis cover song that’s mentioned? I couldn’t really understand what was said.

I heard "Why fools fall in love". So it could be this

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I think he said the I love you Stephanie part was erased because at a later date he had to dig up the song on DAT for the film. So it must exist.

I listened to that part again and I think you're right, because he said he was worried that he might delete the wrong thing by accident.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

From what we'd known, Axl generally doesn't throw stuff away. He is said to be recording everything (e.g. he allegedly recorded the rehearsals at the Complex in 1994) and then storing it in some "vault" (forever). And if he had anything erased, it was allegedly parts, not whole songs.

So what happened with TIL is rather unusual behaviour, even for Axl. First he recorded the song in various studios over the world but  "forgot" the tapes there (so did the rest of the band, if it was recorded with the band. And then, years later, when Dave Dominguez collected them, Axl had the whole song deleted, not even just parts of it (I've no idea about this stuff, but I guess it was possible to delete just the vocals, right?). There must have been some really heavy emotional stuff going on.

A combination of intensely missing Stephanie at the time, bitterness and sadness over listening to the tapes of a now dead band with guys who were just a few years prior who he now didn't even speak to....A lot of emotional baggage with the tune. For all we know it could've been the last proper, fully fleshed out song the UYI band recorded and hearing it, considering how as late as 2000 he was describing crying burning tears of anger over Slash leaving, it might've been just too much and he wanted to just erase it from his life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

it should be fun to listen to axl sing a version of this one, reminded me of "too much too soon"

That was fucking cool with Dave hearing Axl do the opening part for Jungle, could definitely see why he'd get goosebumps. 

Great insight, thanks for the great work!

Weird how Dave casually mentioned erasing This I Love after the fact, it's like he seems to think there's another existing copy or something (I hope so)

Edited by ApacheChief42
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I listened to that part again and I think you're right, because he said he was worried that he might delete the wrong thing by accident.

Your ears are far better than mine; thanks....and now let's find/get Axl's version :-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ApacheChief42 said:

Weird how Dave casually mentioned erasing This I Love after the fact, it's like he seems to think there's another existing copy or something (I hope so)

Doesn't matter we will never hear it

18 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

From what I understood, I think he said that they dug up the song for the film (possibly to have new band members to re-record the music), played it back and Axl had him erase it. So maybe that's the reason the song wasn't included in the movie after all.

Also, how does everybody feel about Dave mentioning that it was a completely different song?

Do you think he actually meant it was a completely different work or just a different recording?

Edited by ApacheChief42

3 hours ago, ApacheChief42 said:

Also, how does everybody feel about Dave mentioning that it was a completely different song?

Do you think he actually meant it was a completely different work or just a different recording?

It doesn’t surprise me that it would be a completely different song. I like This I Love but if the song originated from 92/93 I could see more depth to it then what Chinese Democracy delivered. Lyrically CD to me has mostly simplistic lyrics. Where UYI I & II had more depth. 

In my personal opinion I’d say Prostitute and This I Love originally sounded a lot different to what was on the albums release. 

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:16 PM, RONIN said:

I like the song, but agree, it's very cheesy.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:57 PM, Wagszilla said:

I'm lazy so someone give me a bullet-point summary. 

I'd be most interested in CD era stuff.

@Pele No vocals on Oklahoma, later Berlin as of Feb 3 2000. I'm obviously not sure of the dates/timeframe spoke about in the podcast. 

Not too much, says he was there about 8 months, nothing really recorded other than ideas. Axl was listening to NIN at the time a lot...Interesting that when CD came out recognized some of the song titles but the songs themselves were totally different.  Mentions that Paul, Robin, and Tommy were there when he was there....says they were spending money left and right on new keyboards, guitars all the time-peobably a couple million spent when he was there. Honest interview-I know for years now people that have worked with Axl have said that he is a nice guy, not at all like he has been made out to be in the past, but this guy does say he's seen Axl totally ignore people who were in the room, has seen him yell at people, ect...says a guy named Tommy D got it the worst from Axl when something would go wrong. Tells the story on why Youth was fired. Says Moby may have worked at Axl's house, but was never at the studio when he was there...I think this was around 98, so pretty early stuff. Great interview, tho

One of the most insightful interviews I've seen you guys do. Only to beat by the Goldstein ones. Great Work guys!

Can you guys make an interview with Roy Thomas Baker, or that guy that took a tape to Axl and Axl supposedly ran over it with his truck?

Edited by Propaganda

11 hours ago, Ericstacey said:

Interesting that when CD came out recognized some of the song titles but the songs themselves were totally different. 

Please God, let these leak sometime.