RussTCB

Arcade Cabinet / Retro Discussion

@Iron MikeyJ Retro Ralph did a video of the kit that I have installed on my MK machine. Mine MK kit is the same as the NBA Jam one he's installed in this video except the bezel around my screen lights up:

@Iron MikeyJ, I installed 4lb springs in my Moonwalker and MK cabs. The difference is HUGE. I'm going to play MK with the stock gates tonight to see how I feel. I have octogon gates arriving tomorrow just in case. 

So I had been quiet in this thread of late (I was waiting for some funds to arrive), but now that they have... the fun begins.

So, here are my upcoming mods

1. Street Fighter 2- I found a display model SF2 cab (MONTHS ago), and after playing with it for a while, I decided it was a bit underwhelming. For starters, the games are HARD. I'm a pretty decent SF2 player, and I can barely win 2 matches. That kinda sucks the replayability out of the cab. My MAME alternative is MORE enjoyable for SF2 games (plus I have more than 3 games). So my SF cab is officially becoming my MAME super cab. I just bought a Dell Optiplex 9020 with an I5 CPU in it. That should give me the power to run emulators all the way up to PS2 and Gamecube. Plus I'm putting a trackball in it, as well as a light gun. As for as controls, IL Eurosticks and 8 buttons for both players (newer games require more buttons). I will be building the control panel myself, with custom graphics I ordered. So this will be my SUPER cab, lol.

2. My first asteroids cab (75 dollar score), I am putting my current MAME PC in it and making it my racing cab. I already have an Xbox 360 racing wheel, honestly this cab is just getting things I already owned. Anyways, it will have racing games from arcades, Atari, all the way up to N64 and PS1 (that's the newest emulators this PC can run). The highlights will be Daytona USA, Cruisin USA and Mario Kart 64. 

3. My second Astroids cab (another 75 bucks score), I had a HARD time deciding what to do with it. In the end, I decided to make it the Atari 12-1 cab. I ordered a new PCB, control deck and deck protector from Arcade 1up. I also ordered the Glens Retro Show Spinner and Trackball for it, to really give it some "shine." So it'll essentially be the Atari 12-1 in the original Asteroids cab, with extra bells and whistles. 

4. I am putting a Zippy stick in my Pacman cab, much needed upgrade. The rest is remaining stock. 

5. Nothing new in my MK cab, I already nodded that one as much as I am going to. Its stock, with happy controls and the custom marquee. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 4:26 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

So I had been quiet in this thread of late (I was waiting for some funds to arrive), but now that they have... the fun begins.

So, here are my upcoming mods

1. Street Fighter 2- I found a display model SF2 cab (MONTHS ago), and after playing with it for a while, I decided it was a bit underwhelming. For starters, the games are HARD. I'm a pretty decent SF2 player, and I can barely win 2 matches. That kinda sucks the replayability out of the cab. My MAME alternative is MORE enjoyable for SF2 games (plus I have more than 3 games). So my SF cab is officially becoming my MAME super cab. I just bought a Dell Optiplex 9020 with an I5 CPU in it. That should give me the power to run emulators all the way up to PS2 and Gamecube. Plus I'm putting a trackball in it, as well as a light gun. As for as controls, IL Eurosticks and 8 buttons for both players (newer games require more buttons). I will be building the control panel myself, with custom graphics I ordered. So this will be my SUPER cab, lol.

2. My first asteroids cab (75 dollar score), I am putting my current MAME PC in it and making it my racing cab. I already have an Xbox 360 racing wheel, honestly this cab is just getting things I already owned. Anyways, it will have racing games from arcades, Atari, all the way up to N64 and PS1 (that's the newest emulators this PC can run). The highlights will be Daytona USA, Cruisin USA and Mario Kart 64. 

3. My second Astroids cab (another 75 bucks score), I had a HARD time deciding what to do with it. In the end, I decided to make it the Atari 12-1 cab. I ordered a new PCB, control deck and deck protector from Arcade 1up. I also ordered the Glens Retro Show Spinner and Trackball for it, to really give it some "shine." So it'll essentially be the Atari 12-1 in the original Asteroids cab, with extra bells and whistles. 

4. I am putting a Zippy stick in my Pacman cab, much needed upgrade. The rest is remaining stock. 

5. Nothing new in my MK cab, I already nodded that one as much as I am going to. Its stock, with happy controls and the custom marquee. 

I was thinking about trying to find a $75 cab just to wrap it in the Journey graphics that Tyler made. The only reason I would do it is because the graphics would fit right in with my music room. Outside of the graphics, it would end up being identical to my Moonwalker cab, so I doubt I'll go through all the effort lol.

My Pi modded Moonwalker cab, stock Golden Tee and MK machines seem to be more than enough honestly. 

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I was thinking about trying to find a $75 cab just to wrap it in the Journey graphics that Tyler made. The only reason I would do it is because the graphics would fit right in with my music room. Outside of the graphics, it would end up being identical to my Moonwalker cab, so I doubt I'll go through all the effort lol.

My Pi modded Moonwalker cab, stock Golden Tee and MK machines seem to be more than enough honestly. 

Originally, I wanted to get away from the single cab with thousands of games. I've heard that people spend more time searching for games, than actually playing. Which is one thing the stock arcade 1ups have going for them, only have a couple of games really seems to encourage playing as opposed to searching. 

Ideally, I want to have dedicated cans for certain types of games, one cab for best em ups, one for fighting games, one for classic games, one for trackball games, etc. I just dont have the funds to make that happen (I am also building my own PC, I'm about $1200 in there). So I won't be able to make my ultimate arcade dream come true yet (I couldn't preorder TMNT either ☹). 

So I had to go with the one monster machine. I'm still a little afraid it will over load my players senses (SO MANY games), but it's what I had to do. I already had the 2 asteroids cabs, so I had to figure out what to do to them, and a racing cab was a no brainer. Turning the 2nd one into the 12-1 was just kinda a budget decision. I'm pretty happy with how it'll work out though, with the new spinner and trackball. 

BTW, how is your trackball on your Golden tee cab? I dont have any experience with the stock balls, I upgraded out of fear I wouldn't be happy with it. 

In my "everything" cab, I'll have a xarcade trackball (it acts as mouse as well, which I like). Like you, I enjoy golden tee (and a few other trackball games), but couldn't justify the golden tee cab. 

I'm a little sad that I couldn't do a "classic" arcade machine with a 4 way joystick for all the OLD arcade games, but again budget... the 12-1 mod was cheaper (because I would of had to buy a new monitor for that cab as well for vertical games). 

I will say it sucks ordering a bunch of things on the Friday before labor day, lol.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Originally, I wanted to get away from the single cab with thousands of games. I've heard that people spend more time searching for games, than actually playing. Which is one thing the stock arcade 1ups have going for them, only have a couple of games really seems to encourage playing as opposed to searching. 

Ideally, I want to have dedicated cans for certain types of games, one cab for best em ups, one for fighting games, one for classic games, one for trackball games, etc. I just dont have the funds to make that happen (I am also building my own PC, I'm about $1200 in there). So I won't be able to make my ultimate arcade dream come true yet (I couldn't preorder TMNT either ☹). 

So I had to go with the one monster machine. I'm still a little afraid it will over load my players senses (SO MANY games), but it's what I had to do. I already had the 2 asteroids cabs, so I had to figure out what to do to them, and a racing cab was a no brainer. Turning the 2nd one into the 12-1 was just kinda a budget decision. I'm pretty happy with how it'll work out though, with the new spinner and trackball. 

BTW, how is your trackball on your Golden tee cab? I dont have any experience with the stock balls, I upgraded out of fear I wouldn't be happy with it. 

In my "everything" cab, I'll have a xarcade trackball (it acts as mouse as well, which I like). Like you, I enjoy golden tee (and a few other trackball games), but couldn't justify the golden tee cab. 

I'm a little sad that I couldn't do a "classic" arcade machine with a 4 way joystick for all the OLD arcade games, but again budget... the 12-1 mod was cheaper (because I would of had to buy a new monitor for that cab as well for vertical games). 

I will say it sucks ordering a bunch of things on the Friday before labor day, lol.

Very cool. I'd like to do all of that, but I just don't have the time, energy or resources, ya know?

I'll say that I did get overwhelmed with the Pi games lists at first. I spent a ton of time looking through games as others have mentioned. I found myself just settling on all of the classics that I knew I loved, so I calmed down eventually. I spend a lot more time playing now than I did when I first put a Pi in there.

Still, Golden Tee gets the most play of my cabs by far. It's just the easiest for everyone to play when I have groups over on Fridays. So overall, the 3 I have will probably be it. I do have a Pi 4, 4gb laying around so if I better build comes out for that someday, I'll probably just replace the Pi 3 in my Moonwalker cab with it. 

On 9/3/2019 at 11:37 AM, RussTCB said:

Very cool. I'd like to do all of that, but I just don't have the time, energy or resources, ya know?

I'll say that I did get overwhelmed with the Pi games lists at first. I spent a ton of time looking through games as others have mentioned. I found myself just settling on all of the classics that I knew I loved, so I calmed down eventually. I spend a lot more time playing now than I did when I first put a Pi in there.

Still, Golden Tee gets the most play of my cabs by far. It's just the easiest for everyone to play when I have groups over on Fridays. So overall, the 3 I have will probably be it. I do have a Pi 4, 4gb laying around so if I better build comes out for that someday, I'll probably just replace the Pi 3 in my Moonwalker cab with it. 

I hear ya on the "resources." I dont either tbh, not my FULL plan anyways. I've had to modify my plan a few times. 

I've been working on my racing cab today (and last night), and let me tell you, it's been a HEADACHE. Luckily the worst is over, and things are coming together. But it was problem after problem, lol. To many to list them all, but here are some of the bullet point...

Stock monitor had a "flicker" to it. I had not put that cab together yet (because I didnt see the point of having 2 asteroids cabs up). Well I SHOULD have, it was literally like 6 days past the 90 day warranty cutoff.

So then I had to source another monitor, luckily I had a PC monitor lying around nor doing anything. But then I had to figure out how to mount that beast in the cab... LOADS of fun there, lol. But I DID get it in there. 

I went with Xarcade PCB's for this build (I've used them before and am familiar with them). Well one of my new ones wasnt wanting to program with my old Dell Dimensions that is running all the games in this cab. So I had to swap the PCB out of my tank stick (because I KNOW it works with this PC). 

I've also had a few other issues, that I wont get into here. But its finally running, and is actually pretty awesome (my 4 year old has been playing it like crazy). I still have to drill some holes for some buttons (start, exit, save state, load state). But I'll probably mess with that at a later date. I'm tired, and burnt out, lol. Plus I have my PC for my street fighter cab arriving on Friday. Which with that one I have to build a control panel for as well.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 2

Some really cool announcements at CES today. 

They're doing an NBA Jam cab that has Jam, TE and Hang Time included. It's connected so you can play online too, which is sweet. 

• Like 1

Thread name changed at the request of @Dazey

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 10/05/2020 at 1:59 PM, RussTCB said:

Thread name changed at the request of @Dazey

Thanks for that Russ. I figured that this has kinda evolved towards a more general retro/arcade thread so maybe a name change could invite a little more discussion. 

So at the time of my last post in this thread I'd pretty much installed a monitor in my cab but no controls and was just using a Raspberry Pi plugged into an XBox controller with Retrorama Rampage Pi image. I kinda got distracted so the cab has basically been sitting unfinished gathering dust for the better part of a year and the current lockdown situation has kinda inspired me to pick up where I left off and get this thing finished. 

I ordered two Sanwa Denshi balltop joysticks along with an iPac2 encoder board to plug them into and have now installed both. I've also decided to get rid of the Raspberry Pi as for some reason it ran like a bag of shit even on some of the older sprite based arcade games (I'm guessing that this is just my Pi as other people seem to use them just fine).

Anyway I got an old(ish) laptop from work that they were getting rid of (intel i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD and 1TB external HD) and I've installed Launchbox and Big Box Premium ($50 lifetime licence) as my emulator manager and front end. I've downloaded the most recent MAME romset along with CHDs (60GB and 500GB respectively) along with full sets of SNES, Genesis, NES, Neo Geo and N64 roms and after much pissing about trying to set it up I've finally got a fully working arcade cab that runs brilliantly.

All in all I'm pretty happy with my build for now. Next step would be to change the laptop for a something with a decent graphics card in it for Gamecube/PS2 emulation etc but I'm not in a rush to do that for now.

Is anybody else using a similar frontend setup? I think that Launchbox is by far the best I've managed to find. Makes it really easy to add systems and games without having to worry about text editors and config files (looking at you HyperSpin) and without having to find your way around a Linux system if you're using RetroPie. It also auto imports all the game info, graphics and videos for your collection which I think is fucking awesome!

Here's a couple of pics and vids of the system as is including a video cap of the front end. All I need to do now is connect the power to the marquee light and LEDs in the buttons and fit the speaker covers to the top of the cab.

Zzcqaf8.jpg 

wfLuyPV.jpg 

JR8ckjj.jpg 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

Just downloaded a 128GB Sega Saturn ROM collection in about 3 hours. Quite impressed with that to be honest. :lol: Now to see if I can figure out how to configure the emulator to get the games working on my cab. :lol: 

• Like 1

All button and marquee lighting now installed and I’ve replaced my old little PC speakers with a pair of 5” car speakers and an amplifier. :lol: 

Looking and sounding pretty good now. :lol: 

• Like 2

On 07/06/2019 at 3:51 AM, RussTCB said:

My MK cab received some serious custom upgrades tonight! 

IMG_20190606_221346_337.jpg

That looks really cool. Been looking into these the past couple of years, it's just finding the time

I was looking into getting a decent version of Tron, which I like and was bad at, and Gorf, which I could clock at the arcade. Dragon's Lair and Space Ace looked pretty when they came into the arcade but I prefer the earlier games.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

That looks really cool. Been looking into these the past couple of years, it's just finding the time

I was looking into getting a decent version of Tron, which I like and was bad at, and Gorf, which I could clock at the arcade. Dragon's Lair and Space Ace looked pretty when they came into the arcade but I prefer the earlier games.

I’ve just installed all the old Laserdisc games on my cab and played them for about 5 minutes before remembering why we don’t have laserdisc games anymore. :lol: 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

LOVE me some Tron. I have the game on the Raspberry Pi image that's in my Moonwalker cab. Can't really play it right without the proper controls though. 

This dude went the extra mile and converted an Arcade1Up cab to a dedicated Tron machine:

10 hours ago, RussTCB said:

LOVE me some Tron. I have the game on the Raspberry Pi image that's in my Moonwalker cab. Can't really play it right without the proper controls though. 

This dude went the extra mile and converted an Arcade1Up cab to a dedicated Tron machine:

That looks great

Golden Tee was great as well, that was the one with the roller ball, very quirky at the time. Another game popular here was Gauntlet, but I don't know whether that has aged as well. Have played it in recent times, and it wasn't the experience of yesteryear. I used to enjoy Scramble as well, the side scroller. We had a sit down cabinet version here at a local club I used to go to, ages ago. There are some real gems from years ago

4 hours ago, Mysteron said:

That looks great

Golden Tee was great as well, that was the one with the roller ball, very quirky at the time. Another game popular here was Gauntlet, but I don't know whether that has aged as well. Have played it in recent times, and it wasn't the experience of yesteryear. I used to enjoy Scramble as well, the side scroller. We had a sit down cabinet version here at a local club I used to go to, ages ago. There are some real gems from years ago

I did buy the Arcade1Up Golden Tee cabinet. It's VERY popular every Friday when I have people over to spin records haha.

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I did buy the Arcade1Up Golden Tee cabinet. It's VERY popular every Friday when I have people over to spin records haha.

I can imagine. Great game. I used to like the sports games. I remember Hypersports being popular, I wasn't good at that though. And Mortal Kombat, what a game that was when it came out. Like Street Fighter, but you could pull people's spines out at the end of a round, brutal at the time. 

• Like 1

Pulled the trigger on the Arcade1Up NBA Jam cab. It'll be my 4th and final cab unless they do a Tron one someday. 

Their cab has Jam, Jam: TE and Hang Time all with online play so that'll be sweet. 

Put the NBA Jam cab together this morning. That thing is sweet. Having friends over in a few hours, should be fun to give the game a work out.