Arcade Cabinet / Retro Discussion

RussTCB

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I thought I'd replied to this but I guess I didn't. Yeah, I read a lot in a short period of time and thought I'd just get the Sanwa's.

Did you see that MK & Final Fight are arriving in stores now? I'm so stoked to get MK! It was confirmed that you can access the service menus in MKII, but I'm not sure about UMK3

Maybe you did, I didnt read back through the posts before I commented.

As for the service menues, if you can access one, I'm sure you can access them all. I actually played some UMK3 today. I can do pretty good with, cant beat it though. I can never get past the endurance match (when you fight 2 people). Gets me everytime.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 7:24 AM, Iron MikeyJ said:

I cant afford to buy one yet, hopefully in a few weeks.

Drove down to Perrysburg Ohio and grabbed one just now after a huge battle with the store staff. 

I ended up getting it, so I'm happy. I'll probably put it together later tonight. 

• GNFNR 1

i4h014.jpg
...and there it is! MK was the third and final cabinet I wanted from Arcade1Up. I couldn't be happier that they released both so early. It was a crazy bad financial strain right now but I'll get through it lol. I'd rather have them early and live lean for a bit than wait several more months as planned.

As a side note, the controls are WAYYYYYYYYYY better on this out of the box than SFII was before I installed new sticks. I played MKII for a short while and I was VERY happy that I could pull off Jax's combo where you jump over, reverse kick, then do the back breaker. I absolutely could NOT do that combo with the stock sticks on that cab.

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

i4h014.jpg
...and there it is! MK was the third and final cabinet I wanted from Arcade1Up. I couldn't be happier that they released both so early. It was a crazy bad financial strain right now but I'll get through it lol. I'd rather have them early and live lean for a bit than wait several more months as planned.

As a side note, the controls are WAYYYYYYYYYY better on this out of the box than SFII was before I installed new sticks. I played MKII for a short while and I was VERY happy that I could pull off Jax's combo where you jump over, reverse kick, then do the back breaker. I absolutely could NOT do that combo with the stock sticks on that cab.

The consensus seems to be that the MK cab is the best one Arcade 1up has done to date. How do the sticks and buttons compare to the sanwa's you put in your modded cab?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

The consensus seems to be that the MK cab is the best one Arcade 1up has done to date. How do the sticks and buttons compare to the sanwa's you put in your modded cab?

Not sure how, but I like the sticks in MK better! They're exactly like I remember the MKII cabs I always played. 

• Thanks 1

@RussTCB,

Have you been playing it much? Are you good? Honestly UMK3 is one of my favorite games to play, but I can NEVER beat it. My best character is Reptile (I know all his moves and a fatality), but I can NEVER best the endurance round in that game (Jade and Ermac are a LETHAL combo when they team them up).

When I was young I could get to Kintaro with Lou Kang in MK2. I'm still ok in MK2 (but it's probably the one I'm worst in of the 3). Having said that, I'm pretty good with Reptile and Lou Kang in MK2.

I ask all of this because I JUST beat MK for the first time EVER, lol. I'm pretty pumped about it. I beat it with Sub Zero. Goro and the 3 endurance rounds were tough, but doable. I actually beat Shang Tsung 2-0 on the first try. I've never beaten that game on any platform before, so I'm pretty thrilled I beat the arcade version, lol.

Basically what I'm saying is that MK is clearly the EASIEST of the 3 games, because I hardly ever play that one (while I play the other 2 quite often). If I was keeping track of quarters, I would say I put less that $5.00 in it to beat it as well. 

50 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

@RussTCB,

Have you been playing it much? Are you good? Honestly UMK3 is one of my favorite games to play, but I can NEVER beat it. My best character is Reptile (I know all his moves and a fatality), but I can NEVER best the endurance round in that game (Jade and Ermac are a LETHAL combo when they team them up).

When I was young I could get to Kintaro with Lou Kang in MK2. I'm still ok in MK2 (but it's probably the one I'm worst in of the 3). Having said that, I'm pretty good with Reptile and Lou Kang in MK2.

I ask all of this because I JUST beat MK for the first time EVER, lol. I'm pretty pumped about it. I beat it with Sub Zero. Goro and the 3 endurance rounds were tough, but doable. I actually beat Shang Tsung 2-0 on the first try. I've never beaten that game on any platform before, so I'm pretty thrilled I beat the arcade version, lol.

Basically what I'm saying is that MK is clearly the EASIEST of the 3 games, because I hardly ever play that one (while I play the other 2 quite often). If I was keeping track of quarters, I would say I put less that $5.00 in it to beat it as well. 

I never really gave UMK3 a chance in the arcade. I'm not big on memorized combos, so I was kinda turned off to it. 

I do remember beating II at least once in the arcade way back in the day. I should try again on this cab and see what I can do. I could see myself giving 3 another chance too. 

I HATED Mortal Kombat 3, and ALWAYS felt MK2 was the best in the series. I never gave UMK3 a chance when it was new (because I didnt like MK3 so much). But to be honest, I think it's easily the best of the 3. I still love MK2 because of nostalgia, but UMK3 is the better game imo. MK1 is by far the worst imo, but a fun play through as well. 

9 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I HATED Mortal Kombat 3, and ALWAYS felt MK2 was the best in the series. I never gave UMK3 a chance when it was new (because I didnt like MK3 so much). But to be honest, I think it's easily the best of the 3. I still love MK2 because of nostalgia, but UMK3 is the better game imo. MK1 is by far the worst imo, but a fun play through as well. 

Right on. I really do need to dig into UMK3 more. 

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

@Iron MikeyJ a guy on a modding page figured out how to get the hidden characters in UMK3 to stay unlocked. I gave it a shot just now and it worked, so that's pretty rad. Now Mileena, Ermac and Human Sub Zero are unlocked automatically every time I power up my cab.

I just saw this, after our fb discussion. 👍

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2019 at 12:30 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

I made it all the way to Shao Khan in UMK3 today, couldn't beat him though...

The more I hear from you and others, the more I really need to make time to Ness around with UMK3. 

So I did, bought me the MK Arcade 1up cab today, and a riser. I'm going to do a video review on my YouTube channel. 

But I will say this, I LOVE the actual cabinet (that's my favorite part). I've read some negative comments from people, in regards to build quality of the cab (mostly the hardcore MAME forum I post on), and that's surprisingly my FAVORITE part. I think it looks beautiful. I'm even considering getting MK decals for the riser. 

Actual gameplay though... Im a little disappointed (tbh). It's not bad, but the games DO play better on my MAME machine. The controls disappoint me the most, I'm almost certain I'm going to upgrade those. I was honestly hoping for better. My IL Eurostick is a 10, my Xarcade bat top is an 8, the arcade 1up stick is a 6. Same with the buttons, I have HAPP buttons and cherry micro switches on my other control panel, and it's a night and day difference. 

I'm already considering modding it and putting ALL MK games I can on it. MK4 and MK Trilogy would be welcome additions imo. 

All things considered, I'm satisfied with my purchase, I REALLY like the cabs and monitors. That's a solid deal for those (especially if you can get them on sale). So I am considering buying ANY of them I can score on discount, and just modding the crap out of them (new skins and the whole 9 yards). 

What I plan on doing is have 6-10 "dedicated" mini cabs in my basement and one "super" full sized cab in my living room. The big cab will be 4 player and have EVERYTHING on it, while the smaller ones in my basement I want to dedicate to specific genres. Like this MK cab would have all MK games. Probably MOD the SF cab and put the other fighting games on it. Get the rampage cab for beat em up games. Pacman cab for all the "old school" basic arcade games. I also plan on doing a driving cab, for racing games and a shooting cab for gun games. 

@RussTCB,

So after processing it for the last 12-15 hours I'm liking it a little better. When I wrote my previous post, I hadn't put together the riser yet, and they are a MUST, makes them SO much better. 

I also FINALLY accessed the EJB menu on UMK3, so that REALLY makes me happy. Changing the difficulty and unlocking those characters are a MUST. I haven't done MK or MK2 yet, but I will (hopefully). But as I've said, UMK3 is my favorite anyways, it's the one I'll play the most. Which on a side note, I tried unlocking the characters via the kombat kodes at the game over screen, and they dont save. So I'm SO glad you found that hack to get them to save. I'm a little worried about MK2 EJB menu, I've read some people have been having issues when they access it, so hopefully that isnt me, because I need to change that difficulty as well. 

So what changes am I going to make? The controls are a MUST. If I'm honest, they are just not very good. For $30-50 bucks more, they can be arcade perfect, and they WILL be. I also want MK artwork for the riser (makes it look better imo). I'm also looking into a light up marquee for it, I found one for $30, and will probably pull the trigger. 

2 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

@RussTCB,

So after processing it for the last 12-15 hours I'm liking it a little better. When I wrote my previous post, I hadn't put together the riser yet, and they are a MUST, makes them SO much better. 

I also FINALLY accessed the EJB menu on UMK3, so that REALLY makes me happy. Changing the difficulty and unlocking those characters are a MUST. I haven't done MK or MK2 yet, but I will (hopefully). But as I've said, UMK3 is my favorite anyways, it's the one I'll play the most. Which on a side note, I tried unlocking the characters via the kombat kodes at the game over screen, and they dont save. So I'm SO glad you found that hack to get them to save. I'm a little worried about MK2 EJB menu, I've read some people have been having issues when they access it, so hopefully that isnt me, because I need to change that difficulty as well. 

So what changes am I going to make? The controls are a MUST. If I'm honest, they are just not very good. For $30-50 bucks more, they can be arcade perfect, and they WILL be. I also want MK artwork for the riser (makes it look better imo). I'm also looking into a light up marquee for it, I found one for $30, and will probably pull the trigger. 

I'm surprised to see you and others not liking the controls so much. I'm shocked by how much I like the stock controls. I wonder if it's like the SFII cabs and they put different sticks in different machines? 

As for as riser art work, if you want a 1 color design, my wife can do that for you for free. She has one of those Cricut machines. She's made the graphics for my Moonwalker and MK cabs. She's also made some graphics for other forums members. In any case, if you're interested, she'll be happy to do it. It just has to be one color. I had her do a giant red MK dragon for mine, for example. 

Side note, I think I'm going to do a lighted marquee too. 

46 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm surprised to see you and others not liking the controls so much. I'm shocked by how much I like the stock controls. I wonder if it's like the SFII cabs and they put different sticks in different machines? 

As for as riser art work, if you want a 1 color design, my wife can do that for you for free. She has one of those Cricut machines. She's made the graphics for my Moonwalker and MK cabs. She's also made some graphics for other forums members. In any case, if you're interested, she'll be happy to do it. It just has to be one color. I had her do a giant red MK dragon for mine, for example. 

Side note, I think I'm going to do a lighted marquee too. 

That would be AWESOME if she would be willing to do riser artwork!!! That's really impressive that she did your whole cab, I figured you just bought some. 

As for the controls, maybe it's the bat top that's on the MK cab why you prefer it to the Sanwas? Honestly, I dont have any experience with sanwas, but many people say they are THE best. From what I've heard though, they are "different" in feel and execution compared to a good bat top stick. While you can screw a bat top onto a sanwa stick, it still wont "feel" like the real bat tops.

Back in the day MK, SF and other games used bat top Happ competition sticks. It's a long story, but basically Happ got bought out and are made in China now, but the real manufacturer is now called Industious Lorenzo (IL), and the IL Eurostick is the old Happ competition stick (exactly the same). Happ still makes sticks (although I dont have any experience with them), and they have varied quality (some people still say they are really good). 

Anyways, I'm used to playing with the IL Eurostick and the Xarcade Happ knockoff stick. The IL stick is AMAZING, I plan on putting 2 of them in my MK cab. The Xarcade stick was "fine" but it was hard to pull off diagonal moves (Ryu's hodukon and subzero's freeze). The IL stick does them flawlessly. I will say the Arcade 1up stick does pull off the moves pretty accurately (so it's good in that regard). But it feels "cheaper" compared to both the IL stick and xarcade stick. I feel strongly that they will wear out after too long. So that's something to consider.

On a side note, I absolutely LOVE having my own Mortal Kombat cab now. It looks GREAT. For now it's in my living room (once I get some friends for it, itll go in the basement, but I dont want it to be lonely down there, lol). Right now the attract mode for UMK3 is running, and it makes me happy just looking at it, lol. 

Ever since I was young, there was something about the Mortal Kombat cabs that I just LOVED, they always been my favorite. When I do my big 4 player cab, I honestly wanted to do Mortal Kombat (I think one dedicated artwork looks better than multicab artwork). Anyways, I was talking to my wife about making it Mortal Kombat and she looked at me and said "no. I dont want to look at Mortal Komabt in my living room." I was secretly sad, lol. We ended up agreeing on doing Dungeons & Dragons for that cab (whenever I can afford it). 

Anyways... It makes me happy to FINALLY have a MK cab. I do like what arcade 1up has to offer as well. Like I said... The monitor, cab and artwork are a pretty good deal. Plus the modding capabilities, make them a pretty good option. 

@RussTCB,

So I have a question for you, which of your 3 machines do you find yourself playing the most? 

I ask because I'm beginning to think that fewer games per cab might actually be better than a lot. My 14 year old daughter actually sat down and played Mortal Kombat for the first time ever. I've had those games on my MAME for forever, and she's never once expressed interest. The first time she saw the Arcade 1up, she played it. I'm curious if your Golden Tee and MK might be getting more play than your cab with 1,000 plus games on it? 

On a side note, my arcade 1up is really winning me over. I'm actually considering not doing my BIG MAME cab anymore and just buying a TON of Arcade 1ups and modding them. But only doing 20-30 games per cab. I feel like they will get played more that way. 

I dont know of you saw that MK bezel that is being worked on? It had all the characters moves on it :drool:

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

20 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

@RussTCB,

So I have a question for you, which of your 3 machines do you find yourself playing the most? 

I ask because I'm beginning to think that fewer games per cab might actually be better than a lot. My 14 year old daughter actually sat down and played Mortal Kombat for the first time ever. I've had those games on my MAME for forever, and she's never once expressed interest. The first time she saw the Arcade 1up, she played it. I'm curious if your Golden Tee and MK might be getting more play than your cab with 1,000 plus games on it? 

On a side note, my arcade 1up is really winning me over. I'm actually considering not doing my BIG MAME cab anymore and just buying a TON of Arcade 1ups and modding them. But only doing 20-30 games per cab. I feel like they will get played more that way. 

I dont know of you saw that MK bezel that is being worked on? It had all the characters moves on it :drool:

Overall, I've played GoldenTee far and away the most. It just lends itself VERY well to when friends come over. You can do 4 players at a time and it's turn based, so it's just the easiest in a social setting. 

MK is seeing the least action overall because everyone that sees it says "Oh shit, I need to remember all the moves but we should play that soon". The modden Moonwalker cab gets the second most use. What's cool is that when I tell people it's got tons of games, they'll usually say "Wow, does it have <insert game here> on it?!" which I can usually reply "Yes" to. When I do, I'll show them how to load the game and off they go. 

Edit- Yes I saw that bezel. I honestly think I like the other one the guy is working on that sits above the marquee. When he makes an MKII one, I think I'm going to buy it.