Arcade Cabinet / Retro Discussion

RussTCB

I saw the 1up machines at WalMart today.  I'll get one for my nephews when they are a little older, they are 2 and 3 right now.  I was joking with my dad, because my sister is keeping them away from xbox and shit like that, the bubble will be burst when he has a friend over and after a game of Pac-Man his friend is like "Cool, so can we play COD now?"

It's going to be like when I was little, my mother only bought "Vintage Diet-Cola" so not only diet soda, but off brand!  I was like 6 or 7 before I had actual real soda when my aunt gave me Sprite.  I still didn't understand Diet vs. regular soda, so I just thought Cola was garbage and lemon lime soda was amazing.  I think I was 10 when I slept over my friends house and he had Pepsi.  When my mother came to get me, I wanted her to try it.  I didn't know she knew soda like that existed!  Like it was literally an embarrassment for her, because I'm like "Just try their soda! It's amazing! Get her cola Mrs. Kivler, please!?"  Hard to believe for the children of the internet age, I know.  Fucking born in the 70's, crazy old.

The point of that rambling story is that I fully expect that conversation one day, with my nephew, where he tries to explain to me how shitty Pac-Man is compared to this Xbox3 thing he played at a friends house.  "Show Uncle Mike Doom!"

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 6:50 AM, Dazey said:

Worked a treat. Loads straight to the Retropie environment and then it’s just plug and play. 

oOh62Wu.jpg

As an update: I decided to try out the newest Wolfanoz 128gb image after this one. After a couple of days of messing with it, I decided to go back to this. This is really the best overall image I've used so far. 

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

As an update: I decided to try out the newest Wolfanoz 128gb image after this one. After a couple of days of messing with it, I decided to go back to this. This is really the best overall image I've used so far. 

It's an awesome image but if you really want to get the best of it you need to update from Retroarch 1.7.1 to the latest version. There's a new feature from 1.7.2 onwards which allows you to effectively eliminate input lag which is a total game changer if you play any fighting games like Street Fighter etc. It basically makes the controller response time as good as or even better than the original hardware,

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-7-2 - achieving-better-latency-than-original-hardware-through-new-runahead-method/

Edited by Dazey

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

It's an awesome image but if you really want to get the best of it you need to update from Retroarch 1.7.1 to the latest version. There's a new feature from 1.7.2 onwards which allows you to effectively eliminate input lag which is a total game changer if you play any fighting games like Street Fighter etc. It basically makes the controller response time as good as or even better than the original hardware,

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-7-2 - achieving-better-latency-than-original-hardware-through-new-runahead-method/

Hmm... I could be wrong, but I can't seem to detect any lag at all currently. It couldn't hurt to update it anyway though. 

I have no clue how to do that, but I'm sure I could figure it out 

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Hmm... I could be wrong, but I can't seem to detect any lag at all currently. It couldn't hurt to update it anyway though. 

I have no clue how to do that, but I'm sure I could figure it out 

To be fair it's not really noticeable on most games but if you run ahead two or three frames on something like Street Fighter 2 it makes a huge difference. I only noticed this because I got my arse kicked big time when I couldn't pull off any of the special moves. :lol:  

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 4:38 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

Looks great Russ. I actually saw this on the FB arcade 1up page, before seeing it here. So you went with only arcade games? That surprises me considering how different the Genesis Moonwalker is compared to the arcade version. It's 2 completely different games. Both good though. 

Congrats though, enjoy.

Circling back to this post for an update since I'm running Retrorama Rampage 128gb now: I've got Moonwalker for arcade, Genesis and Master System now. I may have already mentioned that but if I did, oh well lol

On 15/04/2019 at 9:41 PM, RussTCB said:

Well done @Dazey that's more or less the same thing I have except I used the Arcade1Up as the shell. You'll have to turn all the bezels / overlays off since you're using a 5:4 or 4:3 monitor (like I am) but you do that once and you're all set :)

It's actually quite a nice monitor. 5:4 ratio and I got it for free from the IT guy at work as they're getting rid of all non 16:9 monitors. Took me a while to figure out how to save the configuration after turning off overlays but now have that sorted. I'm procrastinating over which joysticks to buy at the moment. Thinking of going with a couple of Sanwa sticks but they're about £60 each. :lol: 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 4:08 PM, Dazey said:

I have no idea why the mobile version of the site is making me quote you, so sorry about that. 

In any case, I came here to post that my GoldenTee cabinet shipped today which is several weeks early. 

Very excited to put it together and relive some awesome times with that game! 

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

@Dazey you might want to switch to this image:

I downloaded it yesterday and I'm writing it to a card right now. Seems like the minor issues I had with the Retrorama Rampage image have been address with this edit of it. 

Awesome! Thanks Russ! :) I've just started downloading it but I'm not sure that this one will fit on a 128GB SD. I'm actually flashing a 32GB arcade only image at the moment because it has a really cool front end. Something called Dynamic Duo or something?

36 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

This seems amazing. But can you add games? When you get round to playing Snow Bros let me know.

There are a shit ton of games on it, but yes, you can add more. 

I meant to get back to you on Snow Bros. Yes, I got to play it and it was so much fun! This image actually has the Mega Drive version of Snow Bros 1, then it has the arcade versions of 1, 2 & 3.

18 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Awesome! Thanks Russ! :) I've just started downloading it but I'm not sure that this one will fit on a 128GB SD. I'm actually flashing a 32GB arcade only image at the moment because it has a really cool front end. Something called Dynamic Duo or something?

I put it on a 256gb card but the guy says it will fit on a 128gb. He says he left around 6gb or so open to make sure it'll fit. 

17 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

That's right...it's better! 

Bollocks!!!!!! You've never lived until you've played Bubble Bobble on an Amstrad CPC 464 in 1989 you lanky cunt! :lol::P 

product-78225.jpg

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RussTCB said:

And there it is, GoldenTee! Just need the Mortal Kombat cabinet now and I'm all set! 

20190418_212850.jpg

Attending one of your music nights is on my bucket list. That basement is awesome. 

• Like 2

Even though my main MAME machine (main mame, lol), already has all of the arcade 1 up games on it, I'm considering getting the MK cab when that gets released. I just LOVE the look and sound of MK, and the 3 games they picked are about perfect. UMK3 and MK2 are great games (although I'm one of the few that prefers UMK3 over MK2), but both are good. MK1 is just "all right" by today's standards, MK4 is better imo, but MK1 is more iconic. 

@RussTCB,

did you do anything with joysticks or buttons? Or are they stock? New sticks and buttons make a WORLD of difference. I upgraded them in my Xarcade tankstick (because the stock ones were only "average"). But the ones that come in these arcade 1ups are bottom of the barrel if I'm honest. With the kind of traffic your basement gets, your sticks and buttons will get wore out before to long. I'd look into upgrading if you haven't already done so. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

18 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Even though my main MAME machine (main mame, lol), already has all of the arcade 1 up games on it, I'm considering getting the MK cab when that gets released. I just LOVE the look and sound of MK, and the 3 games they picked are about perfect. UMK3 and MK2 are great games (although I'm one of the few that prefers UMK3 over MK2), but both are good. MK1 is just "all right" by today's standards, MK4 is better imo, but MK1 is more iconic. 

@RussTCB,

did you do anything with joysticks or buttons? Or are they stock? New sticks and buttons make a WORLD of difference. I upgraded them in my Xarcade tankstick (because the stock ones were only "average"). But the ones that come in these arcade 1ups are bottom of the barrel if I'm honest. With the kind of traffic your basement gets, your sticks and buttons will get wore out before to long. I'd look into upgrading if you haven't already done so. 

I put genuine Sanwa sticks and all new buttons in mine while I was putting it together. Installed shaft extenders (lol) and bat tops too, so I'm good to go. 

There's at least one MK machine out in the wild already. A YouTube channel called getoffmylawngaming got it and the sticks / buttons are way improved over the Wave 1 machines, so I'll probably leave that stock. 

The trackball on GoldenTee is 100x better than the one they included in Centipede, so things are looking up. I absolutely LOVE my GoldenTee cabinet, so I have high hopes for MK. 

Good for you going with Sanwa sticks👍I contemplated going with those for a while in my tankstick, but in the end went with IL Eurostick (because I want bat tops as opposed to ball tops). But Sanwa are one of the best out there for sure. I wasnt sure how "into" this stuff you have gotten, but the simple fact you know what sanwa is... tells me all I need to know, lol. 

I have actually seen that video of the guy with MK cab. If I do get it, I wont be modifying it to much (except for buttons and sticks, those are a MUST for me). But I wont be raspberry pi it, I dont see the point of two machines identical in games. The only difference would be artwork. I just think the MK machine is cool, and will leave it like that. 

Hopefully UMK3 will save though. That game has 3 hidden characters (classic Subzero, Ermac and Jade) and they are NOT easy to unlock. But once unlocked, they usually stay unlocked. But I dont think you can access the menus on arcade 1 ups.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Good for you going with Sanwa sticks👍I contemplated going with those for a while in my tankstick, but in the end went with IL Eurostick (because I want bat tops as opposed to ball tops). But Sanwa are one of the best out there for sure. I wasnt sure how "into" this stuff you have gotten, but the simple fact you know what sanwa is... tells me all I need to know, lol. 

I have actually seen that video of the guy with MK cab. If I do get it, I wont be modifying it to much (except for buttons and sticks, those are a MUST for me). But I wont be raspberry pi it, I dont see the point of two machines identical in games. The only difference would be artwork. I just think the MK machine is cool, and will leave it like that. 

Hopefully UMK3 will save though. That game has 3 hidden characters (classic Subzero, Ermac and Jade) and they are NOT easy to unlock. But once unlocked, they usually stay unlocked. But I dont think you can access the menus on arcade 1 ups.

I thought I'd replied to this but I guess I didn't. Yeah, I read a lot in a short period of time and thought I'd just get the Sanwa's.

Did you see that MK & Final Fight are arriving in stores now? I'm so stoked to get MK! It was confirmed that you can access the service menus in MKII, but I'm not sure about UMK3