Favorite stories from GNR members' books?

I've only read Slash's book, though I've heard good things about Duff's, Steven's, and of course Marc's. 

A story that I always remember from Slash's book was about him driving drunk in LA - probably early to mid 90s. If I recall correctly, it was very late at night with not many people on the road.

Slash, being drunk, got into an accident with another motorist. Apparently, that driver came up to Slash and said something like, "Hey man, you're drunk, wtf."

So Slash, in his infinite wisdom, replied, "Well... you're drunk."

And the two continued on their merry way, not involving the police or insurance companies. :lol:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Izzy spunkin' on his leg is one that stuck, if you'll pardon the pun.

This.

In Steven's book, he mentions getting raped by some guys who offered him pot. Not that it's a good story, but it explains a lot why rock stars are so messed up and become addicts and live the rock n' roll life style.

Yeah the Slash speedball hallucination story sticks out for sure  

But the stories I appreciate most are the ones of how the writing of appetite went down. How WTTJ was quick and spontaneous. The SCOM story, Nighttain story, paradise, etc.. that’s what makes slash’s book my favorite rock memoir. 

15 minutes ago, Its Tino said:

Yeah the Slash speedball hallucination story sticks out for sure  

But the stories I appreciate most are the ones of how the writing of appetite went down. How WTTJ was quick and spontaneous. The SCOM story, Nighttain story, paradise, etc.. that’s what makes slash’s book my favorite rock memoir. 

The aspect of this that I find really interesting is also that both Slash and Duff claims to have written the main riff to WTTJ and the chorus to PC, respectively. Duff has proof for his claims of the WTTJ riff, so clearly Slash's memory is tainted there...

1 hour ago, Homefuck said:

The aspect of this that I find really interesting is also that both Slash and Duff claims to have written the main riff to WTTJ and the chorus to PC, respectively. Duff has proof for his claims of the WTTJ riff, so clearly Slash's memory is tainted there...

Yeah heroin, coke, crack and jack will certainly taint your memories! Lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Underhardy said:

Slash’s story about him running around one of those golf resorts that Goldstein brought him to. He was tripping out so hard he had to escape out of his room because millions of weird little critters were chasing him. He ended up running around the golf course like a mad man avoiding the army of little shits of his imagination. So whacked out 

Pretty sure he was nude too.

41 minutes ago, soon said:

Slash sneaking his Mountain Lion Curtis into a hotel room.

Axl jumping out of moving car in response to being asked not to sleep on Slashs' Grand Ma-Ma's couch.

Yeah the car story is classic. Slash recalls they were moving around 40 mph.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Underhardy said:

Slash’s story about him running around one of those golf resorts that Goldstein brought him to. He was tripping out so hard he had to escape out of his room because millions of weird little critters were chasing him. He ended up running around the golf course like a mad man avoiding the army of little shits of his imagination. So whacked out 

YES! This ^^^^^^^^

In one of Mick Wall's books, like  1/4 of the book was about Axl's like in Lafayette. I think it was the W.A.R. book. That was awesome to learn!

There was one story I remember reading in an unauthorized biography, years ago.

At some point, Duff McKagan became convinced that Steven Adler had been abducted by drug dealers that he supposedly owed his life to. Duff got a sawed-off shotgun and drove down to a suburban neighborhood where be believed Steven to be located. He stormed in this house (don't understand why he was so sure it was the right one) and waved the shotgun around, demanding to see Steven. Some Korean or Vietnamese woman confronted him about breaking in her house and Duff started trashing the kitchen, still convinced Steven was hidden in one of the pantry closets.

I really don't know if that's true but I hope it is, I can see it clearly in my mind and it belongs in a GN'R movie.

• Like 1

I find duffs book the best, especially as he was scathing of gnr management during illusions with them not looking after the bands welfare and not dealing with it as he should have. Also rebuilding himself after his pancreas exploding. I wish he could have covered more on his marriage with linda. Theres not much known about her....im curious about her.

On 20.1.2019 at 4:51 PM, Underhardy said:

Yeah that's the best story. A naked Slash, covered in blood, screaming, running, hiding... It wasn't even Goldstein who brought him there. Goldstein brought Steven there and Slash thought it's a good idea to visit that resort too. Pockets full of drugs 

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1