Favorite stories from GNR members' books?

5 hours ago, EvanG said:

Duff's story about how he was hanging out with mountain bikers and they were hungover and told Duff that they ''partied like rockstars'' the night before because they drank a six-pack by themselves. Then Duff told them some of his rockstar stories, like drinking throw-up because there was alcohol in it, and so the mountain bikers had to admit that they ''partied like mountain bikers''.

Ok, let me make sure I've got this right, Duff actually drank vomit because of the alcohol content?  Holy cannoli,  I thought I had heard it all, but alas, I have not.😄

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

Ok, let me make sure I've got this right, Duff actually drank vomit because of the alcohol content?  Holy cannoli,  I thought I had heard it all, but alas, I have not.😄

Well, I wasn't there to witness it, but he did mention this in his book and it's not something to brag about, so I'm guessing it must have really happened.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 9:50 AM, axlsalinger said:

My favorite GNR story is one told by Matt Sorum in a magazine article. I read this a long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) so I might be a little off on the details, but here it is:

It's the UYI tour, another night where the band's been sitting around for a long time drinking and waiting for Axl, so they could go on stage. So finally Matt's had enough, and says "I'm going to find out what the hell is taking him so long" (to the horror of the rest of the band). 

He heads out to look, and eventually enters a room where Axl is sitting on a chair in the middle of the room, holding a shotgun. Axl says, "You can leave now".

So Matt turned around and got the hell out of there as fast as he could. :lol:

I'd like to know why Axl's issues were still causing him to be persistently late in 2010 but after improving a lot up until 2014 he suddenly managed to be punctual and incident free from 2016 on. Because back in the day his whole thing was that he needed time to get his head straight to perform whilst simultaneously having therapy for all of the stuff he found out about his childhood. 

31 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

I'd like to know why Axl's issues were still causing him to be persistently late in 2010 but after improving a lot up until 2014 he suddenly managed to be punctual and incident free from 2016 on. Because back in the day his whole thing was that he needed time to get his head straight to perform whilst simultaneously having therapy for all of the stuff he found out about his childhood. 

The fears of getting irrelevant probably made him understand he wasnt better than anyone who was there to see his perform or his bandmates, people have lifes to live. He probably learnt what is disrespect really about. 

Edited by default_

In Duff's first book when he talks about meeting Axl again for the first time in over a decade. Made me tear up a bit because clearly Duff didn't view Axl as quite the same monster everyone else did. And when they go out to dinner together after Duff is sober Axl orders a drink, pauses and then says, "Make that a virgin."

Thought it was sweet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wondering where's izzy? said:

In Duff's first book when he talks about meeting Axl again for the first time in over a decade. Made me tear up a bit because clearly Duff didn't view Axl as quite the same monster everyone else did. And when they go out to dinner together after Duff is sober Axl orders a drink, pauses and then says, "Make that a virgin."

Thought it was sweet.

My favorite may be before this when he went to his room and security tried stop him saying, "He's taking a shower," and "Don't go in" and Duff nonchalantly says, "Don't worry, it's not like I've never seen him naked before."

On 22/01/2019 at 9:00 AM, default_ said:

The fears of getting irrelevant probably made him understand he wasnt better than anyone who was there to see his perform or his bandmates, people have lifes to live. He probably learnt what is disrespect really about. 

This is probably the first clause in the reunion contract: be late once and lose 100 million dollars. I'd have a watch attached to my forehead.

On 22/01/2019 at 6:11 AM, Italian girl said:

I'm still disturbed by the story in steven's book, about a maniac living above him and his mother, who peeked at them while in the toilet.

:wacko:

You're watching "Modern Family" too much. The story is about an assistant who used to "live" in Steven's house and peaked on his former girlfriend.

The best story to me is from Duff (a 90's interview talking about Steven).

He was tired of seeing Steven battling with drugs, so he grabbed his shotgun and went to the apartment of Steven's dealer to scare him off.

He them proceeded to bash the dealer's apartment door - full on "pulp fiction" mode -, but got the wrong apartment and broke in a random family's apartment.

There's is this other Duff story: when he punched Chris Holmes (from W.A.S.P.) for saying that black men shoudn't have tattoos to Slash's face at the Rainbow (I guess 89 or 90).

On 20.1.2019 at 8:12 PM, OmarBradley said:
On 20.1.2019 at 5:51 PM, Underhardy said:

Slash’s story about him running around one of those golf resorts that Goldstein brought him to. He was tripping out so hard he had to escape out of his room because millions of weird little critters were chasing him. He ended up running around the golf course like a mad man avoiding the army of little shits of his imagination. So whacked out 

Pretty sure he was nude too.

And using a maid as a human shield.

1 hour ago, Rock the Cock said:

I'm almost sure I remember reading this, although it could be my youthful imagination - but wasn't there a story about Steven Tyler bumming Steven Adler on a tour bus? If I remember correctly, it was something Adler mentioned quite casually

bumming?

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

No he said that black men shouldn't play guitar.

From Slash's book

15 minutes ago, Legendador said:

That's not the story written in the book, the thing was about tattoos and Chris was making fun of Slash's Shirley tattoo, it all happened at the Rainbow.

From Duff's book

You are both right :lol:

“It was another way that I wasn’t like anyone else, but I can count on one hand the confrontations I’ve had that were racially motivated; they occurred once I was sub merged in the very white universe of eighties metal. One time I got into a fight with Chris Holmes from WASP. Duff overheard Chris saying that hooray for tolerance!s shouldn’t play guitar. He didn’t say it to me, but it was obviously about me. As I remember, Duff told me about it later and the next time I saw Chris I went up to confront him and he took off running. Aside from insulting me, it’s one of the most ridiculous and untrue things a musician, of all people, could ever possibly say.” - Slash.

“One night Slash and I went out to The Rainbow, a restaurant next to the Roxy on Sunset that was famous as a rock-and-roll hangout. They gave us a booth. This was a new level of deference. A booth! At The Rainbow! As we proceeded to get blasted, a really big, drunk guy wandered over to our table. Though he looked like an overgrown hick, he was in fact the guitar player from a band considered quite big just then - bigger than Guns. He addressed himself to Slash:

"hooray for tolerance!s shouldn’t wear tattoos”, he said.

What? Was this his idea of a joke or something?

He wasn’t laughing.

I stood up.

“What the fuck did you say to my friend?”

“You heard. hooray for tolerance!s shouldn’t wear tattoos.”

I slugged the guy. Then I slugged him again. And again. He reminded me of the bullies back in Seattle, the meatheads who beat up punks in packs, who called everyone hooray for tolerance!s. I’m not sure how many times I hit him - I just completely lost it - but he went down. I found out later that three of his ribs were broken.“ -  Duff

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

From Slash's book

From Duff's book

You are both right :lol:

“It was another way that I wasn’t like anyone else, but I can count on one hand the confrontations I’ve had that were racially motivated; they occurred once I was sub merged in the very white universe of eighties metal. One time I got into a fight with Chris Holmes from WASP. Duff overheard Chris saying that hooray for tolerance!s shouldn’t play guitar. He didn’t say it to me, but it was obviously about me. As I remember, Duff told me about it later and the next time I saw Chris I went up to confront him and he took off running. Aside from insulting me, it’s one of the most ridiculous and untrue things a musician, of all people, could ever possibly say.” - Slash.

“One night Slash and I went out to The Rainbow, a restaurant next to the Roxy on Sunset that was famous as a rock-and-roll hangout. They gave us a booth. This was a new level of deference. A booth! At The Rainbow! As we proceeded to get blasted, a really big, drunk guy wandered over to our table. Though he looked like an overgrown hick, he was in fact the guitar player from a band considered quite big just then - bigger than Guns. He addressed himself to Slash:

"hooray for tolerance!s shouldn’t wear tattoos”, he said.

What? Was this his idea of a joke or something?

He wasn’t laughing.

I stood up.

“What the fuck did you say to my friend?”

“You heard. hooray for tolerance!s shouldn’t wear tattoos.”

I slugged the guy. Then I slugged him again. And again. He reminded me of the bullies back in Seattle, the meatheads who beat up punks in packs, who called everyone hooray for tolerance!s. I’m not sure how many times I hit him - I just completely lost it - but he went down. I found out later that three of his ribs were broken.“ -  Duff

Duff never actually named Chris Holmes in that excerpt.

Edited by lame ass security