why was Estranged retired for many years?

Just now, Binauralsounds said:

does anyone know why Estranged specifically was retired from the live set for so many years?

Probably for the same reason that Tears In Heaven was retired by Eric Clapton. Once you get over, or feel like you've moved on from the emotions that you felt writing a song, it doesn't feel sincere to perform the song anymore. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Probably for the same reason that Tears In Heaven was retired by Eric Clapton. Once you get over, or feel like you've moved on from the emotions that you felt writing a song, it doesn't feel sincere to perform the song anymore. 

if that was the case then axl rose would have stopped performing a lot of appetite songs in the early nineties

9 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

It just isn't the same without Slash...

that's the most likely reason it was "retired"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 31illusions said:

From what I remember, Axl didn't think they could pull it off, Someone said to him (perhaps it was Marc Canter) It's Slash's baby. Eventually, Bumblefoot brought up the idea of doing it and they started rehearsing it and wound up adding it to the set.

Axl described "Estranged" as his baby in 1991

but yeah your general point is most likely correct

those "killer guitar melodies" were likely "too much slash" for axl to handle on a solo show at that point

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sosso said:

He probably thought that the songs from CD were more similar to AfD than UYI. 

I cant see how they are chalk and cheese ...i think some of the cd songs and cd in general is an extension of some songs on illusions (estranged and twat). Cd also seems like a poor concept album.

1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

I cant see how they are chalk and cheese ...i think some of the cd songs and cd in general is an extension of some songs on illusions (estranged and twat). Cd also seems like a poor concept album.

The earliest available CD demos felt more like AfD than UYI to me. They had the raw energy of AfD and the arrangements of UYI. 

I think it was pretty simple.   In 2001-2002, they were coming back playing AFD and only the few hits from UYI.  And a handful of "new" CD songs.

There was no room for a 9 minute ballad that never set the world on fire when it was released as a single in the 90s.  Yes, the diehards love it, but the comeback shows were not for diehards; they were to try to announce to the world that GNR was back and better than ever.

In 2002, I asked Del directly if Estranged would ever come back and he gave me the complete non-answer of "yeah, maybe."

As much as I think BBF was a big tool that never fit in the band, I give him credit for convincing Axl that the bands wanted to hear this song, it would get a great reception, and somehow he must have convinced Axl to try it.

And the rest is history...it's been a staple ever since.  It had nothing to do with "feelings" or "emotions about Slash" or "nobody could pull it off like Slash."   Axl just thought it didn't "fit" and had to be convinced otherwise, and when he saw it worked, here we are, some several hundred performances better.

My favorite horseshit fan theory of all though was people said he was "uncomfortable" singing the line "but I'm only 28."   Well, dude is pushing 60 now and he's still singing it, so that theory, like so many others, was a load of fanboy wankery.

I will say this....just way way more cool to hear it with Slash n Duff than the hired guns.

• Like 4

I don't know, maybe it just wasn't a priority sing in his mind. He did say his focus was on playing the newer guns songs. Also, it's possible that he wasn't aware of how popular that song is... So when it was suggested to band members by countless fans he thought "maybe we should do this song". I don't think there's a huge back story... Emotional baggage etc. Just think it got lost in the shuffle, of what the nugnr and Axl considered the main songs that needed to be in a gnr set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

He did say his focus was on playing the newer guns songs the nugnr and Axl considered the main songs that needed to be in a gnr set.

the fact that axl said that is laughable because the cold hard fact is that he basically played more than half of appetite every night along with the obligatory NR, YCBM, LALD, KOHD for all his solo career

which in a few words mean that he never ever remotely based the set on his solo songs

we all know why