why was Estranged retired for many years?

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

When I saw them in 2010 they played 9 CD songs... that's more than what they played from any of the other albums. :shrugs:

As was the case several times. It's just easier for some users to post things that aren't true in hopes that it'll become fact someday.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

When I saw them in 2010 they played 9 CD songs... that's more than what they played from any of the other albums. :shrugs:

9 CD songs and 15 to 20 GNR songs

28 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

As was the case several times. It's just easier for some users to post things that aren't true in hopes that it'll become fact someday.

please let me know if there were more GNR songs on the set or more axl rose (or, if you prefer, CD era) songs on the set

16 hours ago, Binauralsounds said:

does anyone know why Estranged specifically was retired from the live set for so many years?

It was never a huge hit on par with their other singles in its day, and it was always something of a deep cut by comparison-- but Axl reads the forums (or at least he did back then) and he probably saw the die-hard fans' love for it. Could have also just been something they randomly added during a rehearsal and it stuck. 

I'd imagine that song hits home more than most from the back catalogue for Axl. Even the video itself, the demise of his relationship with Stephanie and her son, two big life changing absences in his life and that song may bring back some unwanted emotion. Just my two cents. 

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I might be in the minority, but I envy you. I'd have loved to have seen 9 songs off CD. I asked Axl after Nottingham to play TWAT the following night in Liverpool. They never did 😂 I do feel lucky I got to see IRS and Shackler's a few times before they were dropped (for the most part), but still never seen Catcher, TWAT, Prostitute & If The World and I wished I had.

On topic though, Axl probably didn't want to add Estranged at a time when NR, Madagascar and KOHD were all fairly long songs currently in the set..until BBF convinced him to. Glad he did.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, DeathCubeUK said:

I might be in the minority, but I envy you. I'd have loved to have seen 9 songs off CD. I asked Axl after Nottingham to play TWAT the following night in Liverpool. They never did 😂 I do feel lucky I got to see IRS and Shackler's a few times before they were dropped (for the most part), but still never seen Catcher, TWAT, Prostitute & If The World and I wished I had.

On topic though, Axl probably didn't want to add Estranged at a time when NR, Madagascar and KOHD were all fairly long songs currently in the set..until BBF convinced him to. Glad he did.

IRS and Shackler's were definitely highlights in the set. If The World was awesome too. I was lucky enough to see them play TWAT and Prostitute in 2014... now the only CD songs I've never seen live are Scraped and Riad.

As far as Estranged goes, Axl said at the HOB 2001 show something along the lines of "I had some emotional trouble with some of the old songs" and it seems the UYI songs took longer for him to get comfortable with again. Which is fair, as that was the most volatile period of the band and some songs might have extra (negative) emotional attachments. Same kinda thing with Don't Cry; he probably knew the fans wanted it, but he didn't sing it till he was ready.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

IRS and Shackler's were definitely highlights in the set. If The World was awesome too. I was lucky enough to see them play TWAT and Prostitute in 2014... now the only CD songs I've never seen live are Scraped and Riad.

As far as Estranged goes, Axl said at the HOB 2001 show something along the lines of "I had some emotional trouble with some of the old songs" and it seems the UYI songs took longer for him to get comfortable with again. Which is fair, as that was the most volatile period of the band and some songs might have extra (negative) emotional attachments. Same kinda thing with Don't Cry; he probably knew the fans wanted it, but he didn't sing it till he was ready.

That's awesome regarding the CD songs. I've never seen Scraped or Riad either, but I know they're probably the two most scarcely played. Hopefully some start trickling back into future sets.

Think you're right about the UYI songs as well. Remember him saying something about that now you mention it. I also remember Axl was asked years ago if there were any legal issues with him playing any of the UYI songs, to which he replied 'not that I know of', so it was definitely his decision not to, for personal reasons/preferences.

I've always found it interesting over the years (with CD era GN'R and Reunion line-ups), that Perfect Crime has regularly been a back up on the set list. Love the song, would love to hear it live.. but my guess (based on the St. Louis riot) is that it would only be played if Axl was seriously pissed off lol. 

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

From what I understand, Guns N Roses played all Guns N Roses songs on that tour. Outside of the regular covers like Knockin' On Heavens Door, Live And Let Die and so on. 

yeah

so lets divide them in "songs from guns n roses albums pre-CD era" and "songs from CD era" and let's count how many songs were played from each era

what i can remember is that axl has always chose to play more "songs from guns n roses albums pre-CD era" than "songs from CD era"

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think they played 8 AFD songs, Nov Rain, YCBM, Patience and covers/solos. Tommy did a cool version of 'My Generation' by The Who and Axl brought out Bubbles for 'Liquor & Whores'.

But keep telling yourself whatever you need to tell yourself.

exactly

axl has always played more songs from guns n roses albums pre-CD era than songs from CD-era

i don't need to tell myself anything because those are facts yo can check them on any setlist from any given show since 2001

please correct me if i am wrong

8 hours ago, ludurigan said:

the fact that axl said that is laughable because the cold hard fact is that he basically played more than half of appetite every night along with the obligatory NR, YCBM, LALD, KOHD for all his solo career

which in a few words mean that he never ever remotely based the set on his solo songs

we all know why

Ok, I wrote that on my phone and it came out arseways! Axl didn't say that exactly...

Basically, Axl said that his focus for GNRs Chinese Democracy touring was the new material from the latest Guns N' Roses record, he said he would like to play some older material that hadn't been played in years too but felt the time wasn't necessarily right. Now, having said that! CD had 14 songs, not every song on a record is going to be a great song for the live arena... so certain songs were naturally removed from playlists. Look at the setlist for 2009-2014 and tell me that CD isn't well placed in each and every show. Also, are you honestly trying to suggest Guns N roses shouldn't have been playing half of their most popular record? with an average of 30 songs in a set it's not that much to see 5/6 AFD songs.

6 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

yeah

so lets divide them in "songs from guns n roses albums pre-CD era" and "songs from CD era" and let's count how many songs were played from each era

what i can remember is that axl has always chose to play more "songs from guns n roses albums pre-CD era" than "songs from CD era"

My god! what a stupid argument.

Stop whinging, Guns N Roses existed between 1996-2015 GET OVER IT!

• Like 1

Just now, ludurigan said:

exactly

axl has always played more songs from guns n roses albums pre-CD era than songs from CD-era

i don't need to tell myself anything because those are facts yo can check them on any setlist from any given show since 2001

You're hardly comparing like for like though. Although you're differentiating in 'era's'..the CD era is one album. If you compare CD 'era' to Use Your Illusion I 'era' or Spaghetti Incident 'era' or Lies 'era' (you get the idea), there's only really Appetite that proves your point.

The example that was made was 9 CD songs played to AFD's 8, but if you compare Chinese Democracy to all other GN'R albums combined and call them era's you win. Last time I saw GN'R they played as many covers as AFD songs. Go figure.

8 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

exactly

If CD is the most heavily played album, and half (or more) of the set is either CD songs, solo songs, or covers (My Generation, Sonic Reducer, Liquor & Whores, Whole Lotta Rosie, etc), then you'd be wrong to say that he centered the show around only the classic songs. I'll admit that was the case in 2001-06 but at the time I saw them, it wasn't the case, they were playing at least 9 CD songs at most shows around then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

yeah

Nah, we'll just call them Guns N Roses songs since that's what they are :)

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

exactly

I don't know what you are on about. When I saw Guns N' Roses in 2010, they played 10 songs from Chinese Democracy. All of which are Guns N' Roses songs.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

12 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

My favorite horseshit fan theory of all though was people said he was "uncomfortable" singing the line "but I'm only 28."   Well, dude is pushing 60 now and he's still singing it, so that theory, like so many others, was a load of fanboy wankery.

for the sake of cheekiness he could've change the lyric to "old at heart and well I am 60" and I think no one would object

This topic has me wishing the 2001-2002 lineup would have played Estranged. Buckethead would have handled the leads real well.

I don't complain though, I've been lucky enough to see every lineup since 2002. And I've heard every Chinese track live, with the exception of 'Riad N' The Bedouins' and 'Prostitute'.

In a perfect world Axl could have released his intended 3 records, 2002, 2006, and 2010.

We still would have the reunion in 2016! :lol:

• Like 1

A lot of those shows weren’t marathon shows time wise either. Prob all around 2hrs or a little less.  The main focus was on Appetite and Chinese, even to the point of having the new band re-recording Appetite for rehearsal purposes.  I remember in one of those 2002 radio interviews he talked about the one album a year, keep touring and adding in new material. Obviously that never happened and instead they just added in more Illusion material like Estranged and Civil War instead of stuff like atlas Shrugged and the General...unfortunately.   They were more of a cover band in 2009+ to me than they were in 2001-2006.  At that point even half the people that played on chinese were gone. 

Edited by Evan442