why was Estranged retired for many years?

On 1/20/2019 at 7:11 AM, t-p-d-a said:

The more important question is. Why Estranged is played very early in the set. It is absolutely out of place. The first songs are there to fire up the crowd. I saw the NITL... tour three times and so far this song has brought down the mood after the audience was so hyped up. In my opinion, this belongs in the category "Epic". And I think epic songs should be played towards the end. I also ask myself why the trilogy is played backwards. First Estranged, then November Rain and finally Don't Cry. Estranged does not feel right at the beginning of the concert, especially in summer on a bright day. The song screams for epic proportions. It needs lighting effects

Agreed on this. Always felt it should be more towards the end, like the UYI tour.

Personal opinion, but I'd say the ballads should be intentionally kept to a minimum in live setlists.  Estranged is by far the weak link of the Illusions bunch (Don't Cry, November Rain), Patience is much more of a fan favorite, and I'd rather hear Street of Dreams/The Blues over Estranged any day.  It just makes sense why a ten minute ballad is left out of a chunk of their touring history.

Not taking anything away from the song of course, it fits perfectly in Illusions 2.  Just not as a concert staple, maybe as an occasional surprise.

• Like 1

On 20.01.2019 at 3:52 AM, Tom-Ass said:

It just isn't the same without Slash...

And yet they tried to play it and it sounded horrible. And I'm taking Axl out of that equasion. No one on earth besides Slash can handle that riff, not to mention the dolphins section or solos.  

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:55 AM, estrangedtwat said:

My favorite horseshit fan theory of all though was people said he was "uncomfortable" singing the line "but I'm only 28."   Well, dude is pushing 60 now and he's still singing it, so that theory, like so many others, was a load of fanboy wankery.

If they tour in 2020 he can change it to "but I'm only 58."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gackt said:

Personal opinion, but I'd say the ballads should be intentionally kept to a minimum in live setlists.  Estranged is by far the weak link of the Illusions bunch (Don't Cry, November Rain), Patience is much more of a fan favorite, and I'd rather hear Street of Dreams/The Blues over Estranged any day.  It just makes sense why a ten minute ballad is left out of a chunk of their touring history.

Thank god he doesn't play that shit song anymore. With Slash back, Estranged even more so is a highlight amongst the set list. The only time I saw it before with Slash was in '93 in Munich, where they used the footage for the video. I was delighted when they finally started to play it again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Thank god he doesn't play that shit song anymore. With Slash back, Estranged even more so is a highlight amongst the set list. The only time I saw it before with Slash was in '93 in Munich, where they used the footage for the video. I was delighted when they finally started to play it again.

Seriously.. Estranged has easily been one of the highlights of the tour.. Even with Axl's voice during certain parts

• Like 4

On 21/01/2019 at 1:52 AM, F*ck Fear said:

I don't know what you are on about. When I saw Guns N' Roses in 2010, they played 10 songs from Chinese Democracy. All of which are Guns N' Roses songs.

you are welcome to believe that :rofl-lol:

On 21/01/2019 at 1:15 AM, RussTCB said:

Nah, we'll just call them Guns N Roses songs since that's what they are :)

you are free to believe that :rofl-lol:

On 21/01/2019 at 12:23 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

If CD is the most heavily played album, and half (or more) of the set is either CD songs, solo songs, or covers (My Generation, Sonic Reducer, Liquor & Whores, Whole Lotta Rosie, etc), then you'd be wrong to say that he centered the show around only the classic songs. I'll admit that was the case in 2001-06 but at the time I saw them, it wasn't the case, they were playing at least 9 CD songs at most shows around then.

please show me *one* setlist where axl played more CD songs than songs from GNR albums

On 21/01/2019 at 12:16 AM, Tom2112 said:

My god! what a stupid argument.

Stop whinging, Guns N Roses existed between 1996-2015 GET OVER IT!

yeah you are correct, your argument was much better than mine, thanks a lot for illuminating the discussion with extremely articulate & informative arguments!

let me ask you something...

do you have some sort of copyright (meaning "intellectual property") on these powerful arguments that you used such as "My god", "What a Stupid Argument", "Stop Whining" and "GET OVER IT"?

I am asking you because I am planning to use some of those (or maybe ALL of those!!!) on my next discussion

I'm wondering if there is any need for me to pay you copyrights or ask your permission before using them?

you know, so I can, like, win the discussion!

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

On 21/01/2019 at 12:10 AM, Tom2112 said:

Ok, I wrote that on my phone and it came out arseways! Axl didn't say that exactly...

Basically, Axl said that his focus for GNRs Chinese Democracy touring was the new material from the latest Guns N' Roses record, he said he would like to play some older material that hadn't been played in years too but felt the time wasn't necessarily right. Now, having said that! CD had 14 songs, not every song on a record is going to be a great song for the live arena... so certain songs were naturally removed from playlists. Look at the setlist for 2009-2014 and tell me that CD isn't well placed in each and every show. Also, are you honestly trying to suggest Guns N roses shouldn't have been playing half of their most popular record? with an average of 30 songs in a set it's not that much to see 5/6 AFD songs.

axl should just have had the balls to really base his live performances on new songs from his new band and bury appetite as he said he wanted to

we all know that in any given show from axl's band 2001-2018 there were always more songs from the past then from chinese democracy

On 21/01/2019 at 12:17 AM, DeathCubeUK said:

You're hardly comparing like for like though. Although you're differentiating in 'era's'..the CD era is one album. If you compare CD 'era' to Use Your Illusion I 'era' or Spaghetti Incident 'era' or Lies 'era' (you get the idea), there's only really Appetite that proves your point.

The example that was made was 9 CD songs played to AFD's 8, but if you compare Chinese Democracy to all other GN'R albums combined and call them era's you win. Last time I saw GN'R they played as many covers as AFD songs. Go figure.

there were two eras when axl started touring with his new band. there was "the past" and there was "the now" and we all know that there were always more songs from "the past" then from "the now"

7 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

yeah you are correct, your argument was much better than mine, thanks a lot for illuminating the discussion with extremely articulate & informative arguments!

let me ask you something...

do you have some sort of copyright (meaning "intellectual property") on these powerful arguments that you used such as "My god", "What a Stupid Argument", "Stop Whining" and "GET OVER IT"?

I am asking you because I am planning to use some of those (or maybe ALL of those!!!) on my next discussion

I'm wondering if there is any need for me to pay you copyrights or ask your permission before using them?

you know, so I can, like, win the discussion!

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Ah.... yeah fire away, use it all you like😅 although I used the word 'whinging' not whining. Both apply though😉

9 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

there were two eras when axl started touring with his new band. there was "the past" and there was "the now" and we all know that there were always more songs from "the past" then from "the now"

Lol, did you even read what i said?

"The past" as you refer to it, includes Live like a Suicide, AFD, Lies, UYI I, UYI II & The Spaghetti Incident.. "the now" is Chinese Democracy. 14 tracks. 16 if you want to include Silkworms & OMG. The same number of songs that are on UYI I alone. So yes, there are literally more songs from the past lol.

As a % of all Songs GN'R ever recorded to album, Axl actually includes a large proportion of CD live. I know you're just trolling, but I thought I would humour you.

24 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

axl should just have had the balls to really base his live performances on new songs from his new band and bury appetite as he said he wanted to

we all know that in any given show from axl's band 2001-2018 there were always more songs from the past then from chinese democracy

Burying AFD was a misinterpreted quote in relation to the new album at the time UYI, not CD. Now he did say those words "I want to bury AFD" But that didn't mean he wanted to not play those songs going forward. He just wanted to make a better record and have people equally excited about that, rather than people staying firmly in the past and not allowing musical growth.

Also, do you write for alternativenation? you would fit right in! 

53 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

please show me *one* setlist where axl played more CD songs than songs from GNR albums

On the tour I mentioned earlier, every show was CD-based. Most shows got 10 CD songs. Of course they also played classic songs, but the CD songs and covers equaled or outnumbered the classic songs at plenty of shows.

Here's the setlist from the show I saw:

Spoiler

Chinese Democracy
Welcome To The Jungle
It's So Easy
Mr Brownstone
Sorry
Fortus Solo
Live And Let Die
If The World
Rocket Queen
Dizzy Solo
Street Of Dreams
You Could Be Mine
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
My Generation
IRS
November Rain
Bumblefoot Solo
Shackler's Revenge
Liquor & Whores
Out Ta Get Me
Ashba Solo
Sweet Child O' Mine
This I Love
Nightrain

Madagascar
Better
Patience
Paradise City

8 AFD, 1 Lies, and 2 UYI songs.

9 CD songs, 2 covers, and 2 'classic' covers (I don't count LALD and KOHD as GNR songs).

Even if you remove LALD and KOHD it's the same number of classic songs as CD songs and non-classic covers.

I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to accept that the 09/10 shows were based around CD.

Actually, I know why, it's because you're still clinging to your tired, boring shtick. :shrugs:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

It doesn't matter who's manning the guitar for the song, I'll always find it to be a waste of space and noise in an already loaded setlist that could be filled with something that translates a lot better live.

Personal opinions.  :lol:

On 1/20/2019 at 11:39 PM, F*ck Fear said:

This topic has me wishing the 2001-2002 lineup would have played Estranged. Buckethead would have handled the leads real well.

I don't complain though, I've been lucky enough to see every lineup since 2002. And I've heard every Chinese track live, with the exception of 'Riad N' The Bedouins' and 'Prostitute'.

In a perfect world Axl could have released his intended 3 records, 2002, 2006, and 2010.

We still would have the reunion in 2016! :lol:

Estranged would just sound weird with Buckethead tone that he used in Guns. I'm sure he could handle the song like Soothesayer. But when I think Estranged, I think Slash's tone bleeding and cutting through the mix and song. It'd be an interesting listen though, I'm sure he would have done it Justice. 

• Like 1

I always wondered why neither Slash nor BBF played the higher note before the last riff of the first section of the song.

When I listen to the studio version, after the “still talking to myself....alone” Slash guitar comes in as a wasp sting.

It has always been a highlight of the song for me, and they NEVER replicated it live. 

• Like 1

It's simple as to why it took so long to return to the set list.....Because it was years before Axl returned from sleeping with Mermaids and swimming with dolphins near the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.....Once he was reunited with his beloved Converse high-tops, it's like, "Hey, let's put it back in the show!!"

4 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I always wondered why neither Slash nor BBF played the higher note before the last riff of the first section of the song.

When I listen to the studio version, after the “still talking to myself....alone” Slash guitar comes in as a wasp sting.

It has always been a highlight of the song for me, and they NEVER replicated it live. 

I could be wrong, but I think what you're talking about is a pinch harmonic. Slash does them across a couple different GNR recordings but never does them live. I always thought Ron would do it for sure but he just never did.

On 23.01.2019 at 6:28 PM, RussTCB said:

I could be wrong, but I think what you're talking about is a pinch harmonic. Slash does them across a couple different GNR recordings but never does them live.  @Alejandro GNR

Pinch harmonics with a bend (attacked quicker though, something like THIS.MP3 ), it's not that easy to hold that note, I'd avoid it either as you can f**k that up very easy :P He plays a regular bend instead. About the second part of your post, you're indeed wrong. You don't have to look very far to finds some pinchin' from Slash: https://youtu.be/NWDnl5dBGzg?t=186

Edited by Ralphelmo