why was Estranged retired for many years?

maybe there were negative connotations to Estranged for Axl as a tune. It was, after all, the song where Axl and Slash reached new musical heights together and that was only possible through collaboration between the two of them. (and the rest of the band of course)

Axl mentioned live in a 2002 show how Slash (and Duff) didn't want to work on November Rain and Estranged. Perhaps the fact that it did work between them so perfectly in Estranged and still wasn't enough to keep Slash in Guns was one of the reasons Axl tried to avoid performing it for years. He tried to avoid Don't Cry as well I believe, maybe for similar reasons.

things change, everything can change if Axl called Slash, shared some food, and made more than 500 mil together. It's interesting how open Slash will be creatively for Axl's ideas when it's time to write and record. It seems like both sides don't want to fuck it up so there will be more compromise this time imo which could lead to more epic tunes but also Slash ideas, songs with powerful riffs with Axl giving it his context.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

maybe there were negative connotations to Estranged for Axl as a tune. It was, after all, the song where Axl and Slash reached new musical heights together and that was only possible through collaboration between the two of them. (and the rest of the band of course)

Axl mentioned live in a 2002 show how Slash (and Duff) didn't want to work on November Rain and Estranged. Perhaps the fact that it did work between them so perfectly in Estranged and still wasn't enough to keep Slash in Guns was one of the reasons Axl tried to avoid performing it for years. He tried to avoid Don't Cry as well I believe, maybe for similar reasons.

things change, everything can change if Axl called Slash, shared some food, and made more than 500 mil together. It's interesting how open Slash will be creatively for Axl's ideas when it's time to write and record. It seems like both sides don't want to fuck it up so there will be more compromise this time imo which could lead to more epic tunes but also Slash ideas, songs with powerful riffs with Axl giving it his context.

Thankful Bumblefoot , Estranged and Don't Cry was played again, Axl's was convinced for him. I remember that Don't Cry was played in Israel in a mix with Israel national anthem.

4 hours ago, Ratam said:

Thankful Bumblefoot , Estranged and Don't Cry was played again, Axl's was convinced for him. I remember that Don't Cry was played in Israel in a mix with Israel national anthem.

Ron was a major player in convincing Axl to change it up during the concerts. However he was not able to get Axl on the creative page...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ratam said:

Yes , the creative page depend of Axl only....

TO BE FAIR, if what Axl said is true, and they had about 3 albums worth of material waiting to see the light of day, i don't think he needed to be. Maybe he and the record label needed to be convinced to release them. But from how every flips out over phone recordings and small leaks or rumors about the excess CD material, doesn't seem like they needed MORE. Just to release what they had. But, to your point, yes only Axl it seems can push things along. It also seems like the setlists between 2002-2011 were pretty different for every tour. Its not like the 1992 version of UYI tour or NITL. At least from what i've seen.

Edited by UsedYourIllusion
  • Like 1

I still remember the first time they played it since 93. Wasn’t it at Rock in Rio 11?

When Ron raises his arms at the beginning as the crowd realizes its estranged? Damn.. I feel like that was a collective hands in the air for all who have ever worked with Axl and struggled. Cause as I remember this was a big issue for awhile with the fans. There were rumors swirling and then finally, it happens. It was like my god Ron, you did it. You made him do something he probably didn’t want to. God bless you sir. And he made the CD song way better with that Fretless so he’s a gnr legend in my book

55 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

TO BE FAIR, if what Axl said is true, and they had about 3 albums worth of material waiting to see the light of day, i don't think he needed to be. Maybe he and the record label needed to be convinced to release them. But from how every flips out over phone recordings and small leaks or rumors about the excess CD material, doesn't seem like they needed MORE. Just to release what they had. But, to your point, yes only Axl it seems can push things along. It also seems like the setlists between 2002-2011 were pretty different for every tour. Its not like the 1992 version of UYI tour or NITL. At least from what i've seen.

The problem is that Axl collect songs , but never release , is a weird case. 

38 minutes ago, Sprite said:

I still remember the first time they played it since 93. Wasn’t it at Rock in Rio 11?

When Ron raises his arms at the beginning as the crowd realizes its estranged? Damn.. I feel like that was a collective hands in the air for all who have ever worked with Axl and struggled. Cause as I remember this was a big issue for awhile with the fans. There were rumors swirling and then finally, it happens. It was like my god Ron, you did it. You made him do something he probably didn’t want to. God bless you sir. And he made the CD song way better with that Fretless so he’s a gnr legend in my book

Think was Rio 11. In the Rock in Rio poll , the song most fans asked was Estranged.

On 20/01/2019 at 11:11 PM, t-p-d-a said:

The more important question is. Why Estranged is played very early in the set. It is absolutely out of place. The first songs are there to fire up the crowd. I saw the NITL... tour three times and so far this song has brought down the mood after the audience was so hyped up. In my opinion, this belongs in the category "Epic". And I think epic songs should be played towards the end. I also ask myself why the trilogy is played backwards. First Estranged, then November Rain and finally Don't Cry. Estranged does not feel right at the beginning of the concert, especially in summer on a bright day. The song screams for epic proportions. It needs lighting effects

I hadn’t thought about that but you’re right imo. Although I think this I love is a major buzz kill at every show. Of the 3 gigs I saw, every time they played it, people used it as a piss break or go to the bar lol

56 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I hadn’t thought about that but you’re right imo. Although I think this I love is a major buzz kill at every show. Of the 3 gigs I saw, every time they played it, people used it as a piss break or go to the bar lol

TiL was a highlight in 2016 when he could sing it and when Slash would actually try to play a good solo

After the last few years it should be retired

• Like 1

8 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

you right. I was in Berlin 2018. And This I Love was absoluty shit. And I was standing as a huge Axl Fan in the middle of the crowd. I was lookin at the ground, didn't want to see people faces. Oh God. This I love works only with a strong voice. The song with Mickey is absoluty sh1t and a mood killer. This I Love in Vegas 2016 is mindblowing.. but 2018 with weak voice? no!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

you right. I was in Berlin 2018. And This I Love was absoluty shit. And I was standing as a huge Axl Fan in the middle of the crowd. I was lookin at the ground, didn't want to see people faces. Oh God. This I love works only with a strong voice. The song with Mickey is absoluty sh1t and a mood killer. This I Love in Vegas 2016 is mindblowing.. but 2018 with weak voice? no!

Completely agree... in Seattle and Vegas 2016 that song was a highlight. Vancouver 2017 it was the worst song of the night.