What is GN'R's most atmospheric song?

Listening through their entire catalogue, I wonder, what do you guys think is the most atmospheric, viseral, song? The song that just pulls you in with the lyrics and music, into the context of the song. 

For me, Coma and The Garden come to mind. When I hear the heartbeat or Axl's scream during the fade out of The Garden, I instantly feel dragged into the emotion and place of the song. I've never had the feelings explicitly, maybe partially, that are in Coma, but I've had a really nasty drug problem, and know exactly how The Garden feels. Is there a song or group of songs that have this reaction for y'all?

Civil War as a political message also comes to mind. A song a sometimes forget in the catalogue. 

Edited by UsedYourIllusion
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Listening through their entire catalogue, I wonder, what do you guys think is the most atmospheric, viseral, song? The song that just pulls you in with the lyrics and music, into the context of the song. 

For me, Coma and The Garden come to mind. When I hear the heartbeat or Axl's scream during the fade out of The Garden, I instantly feel dragged into the emotion and place of the song. I've never had the feelings explicitly, maybe partially, that are in Coma, but I've had a really nasty drug problem, and know exactly how The Garden feels. Is there a song or group of songs that have this reaction for y'all?

I know what you mean. The Garden pulls you in.  The video fits it perfectly.

Yeaterdays always puts me in a happy/ reminiscing mood. Obviously the title and lyrics but there is something about the softness of it and Axl’s voice on the chorus.

I don’t know if it’s the Chinese people talking or the anger of shackler but those 2 songs make me feel like I’m in a Godzilla movie

Riad has that 2004 War on terror vibe 

One in a million is the Bohemian Rhapsody of poor white people which I grew up on the periphery of so that hits home a little

The end of prostitute puts me to sleep like a newborn baby. Feels like a warm hug or being in the womb. Or like a Coldplay song 

44 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Estranged for sure. Prostitute is another one that just grabs me. I've always looked at it as Axl's statement on the breakup of the old band and you can hear the pain in his voice in certain parts. 

The end of Prostitute just sounds like pure catharsis for Axl. Whether from his past love, past demons, relationships, music whatever. I feel like that song helped me through high school a great deal. I'm showing my age haha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sprite said:

I know what you mean. The Garden pulls you in.  The video fits it perfectly.

Yeaterdays always puts me in a happy/ reminiscing mood. Obviously the title and lyrics but there is something about the softness of it and Axl’s voice on the chorus.

I don’t know if it’s the Chinese people talking or the anger of shackler but those 2 songs make me feel like I’m in a Godzilla movie

Riad has that 2004 War on terror vibe 

One in a million is the Bohemian Rhapsody of poor white people which I grew up on the periphery of so that hits home a little

The end of prostitute puts me to sleep like a newborn baby. Feels like a warm hug or being in the womb. Or like a Coldplay song 

Bohemian Rhapsody and one in a million comparison! Why does it seem So to you Sprite?

(I like one in a million, I’ll continue to assume it was more artistic commentary than racism/homophobia) 

The last three minutes of Rocket Queen. It's when the instrumental part begins. It really changes the song. Axl and Slash really blend in together to create such a soulful  and beautiful second half of the  song. 

Jungle is what got me into GNR.  Paradise City has become my favorite song. 

Don't Damn Me resonates with me the most due to my life experiences. 

Coma and Rocket Queen are the first ones that come to mind. Locomotive too, especially the outro.

Also, Sorry. That combination of classic rock and slow, grinding heavy parts, with all the different vocals and the heavy outro, it's a 'slow burner' but it's probably the most atmospheric track on CD.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

Also shoutout to the campfire vibes of You Ain't The First. That song really grew on me, it's not really anything special but it's good for what it is, a fun song with fun lyrics. It has it's place on the album. Not every song has to be a hard rocker or ballad.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Most Atmospheric GNR Song ? That to me is a hard question. I mean yes your have the Illusions "trilogy" of Don't Cry, November Rain, and Estranged which have an obvious feel to them, but whether they are the most atmospheric GNR songs I doubt it. I do like the song Yesterdays and the lyrics on a personal level helped me alot in college. The lyrics aren't a masterpiece by any means but there is a theme of letting go of stuff you can't change in the song yesterdays. The best compliment you can pay to GNR is that they have many songs that have atmosphere to them which shows GNR weren't a one trick pony music wise. 

Just now, Lillie said:

Don't cry alt.version, Coma,Madagascar, So fine,Breakdown, Estranged,NV,TWAT,IRS,Catcher in the Rye,Prostitute...If i have to choose only 1..Don't cry alt.version,definitely!

So CD songs are including then ? In that case Madagascar(the leak) was a great song. The album version lost a bit of it's charm compared to the leaked version I had.