What is GN'R's most atmospheric song?

12 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

So CD songs are including then ? In that case Madagascar(the leak) was a great song. The album version lost a bit of it's charm compared to the leaked version I had. 

Um,I thought that...:shrugs: I"ll take the Dec "17 live versions anytime...

1 hour ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I honestly believe that Axl ruins that version with the way he sings the background vocals

not perfect but there are a few live versions that are better than the album version. what would you say is the best version of that song ? 

Estranged and TWAT by a mile, these just suck me in and I never listen to just a little bit of these, always have to hear the whole song.

Also November Rain, Locomotive, Sorry and Prostitute have some pretty cool stuff going on.

Those cinemascope-esque moments...I wouldn't mind an entire album of that.

I wonder why Axl never worked with Brian Eno or Akira Yamaoka yet, could be quite interesting.

4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Coma and Rocket Queen are the first ones that come to mind. Locomotive too, especially the outro.

Also, Sorry. That combination of classic rock and slow, grinding heavy parts, with all the different vocals and the heavy outro, it's a 'slow burner' but it's probably the most atmospheric track on CD.

I really prefer the live versions for Sorry. I get that feeling, Axl singing naturally, sounds effortless. As if taking about the casual ways people think and think about him 

"It's harder to live with the truth about you, than to live with the lies about me"

The drums drive me into Rocket Queen, that first hit by Steven on the record. And Duff playing that nasty-funk laden riff

Edited by UsedYourIllusion
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Waemoth said:

Rocket Queen for sure. Feels angry, dark, and frustrated. 

Its amazing that two people can hear a song and get such different things out of it, I never took that song as sounding frustrated, or particularly angry.  I took it more as like, cynical and cheeky. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Its amazing that two people can hear a song and get such different things out of it, I never took that song as sounding frustrated, or particularly angry.  I took it more as like, cynical and cheeky. 

I can see why that would be the case, what makes me feel this is mostly the drums and Slash's guitar tracks. Both Izzy and Axl's parts are more towards what you describe, in my opinion. 

Edited by Waemoth

I kind of agree with Coma. Surprised no one hads mentioned Oh my god, though - perhaps I'm just thinking that because it's quite dense, musically speaking, but it's pretty much the only sign we have of Axl's thinking (i.e., atmosphere) at that point in time, but i certainly feel a very different feeling from that than to any other GNR song

The Garden...at least the Axl bits, the Alice bits aren't terribly atmospheric...and if they are its in a whole other direction to the Axl bits.  Actually kind of an underrated song a bit, now I think about it.  One in a Million is probably the most atmospheric song they ever made, I feel like its Axl at his most honest and it kind of shines through in the music, that kinda old west tune whistling thing adds to it.  Patience of course, wonderfully atmospheric.  I feel like that second half of Lies is Guns at their absolute best, the last time they were a down-to-earth rock n roll band, not sure if down to earth is the best description in fact it's probably not.  There's no preaching in Appetite or Lies, they don't feel like Axls Therapy Hour like parts of Illusions and all of Chi Dem does.  Breakdown I guess is a reasonable shout.  The beginning bit of Dead Horse.  Oh My God, whatever else you might think about it has a sort of sleazy underground sex dungeon sort of feel to it.  Something that wouldn't sound out of place from that scene in Se7en where the killers made that guy kill that bird by shagging her with the weapons-grade strap on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find that space in songs tends to create atmosphere and GN'R doesn't often leave a lot of empty space.

Rocket Queen might be the most atmospheric. It has a suspenseful bassline and the flanger on the guitars and Axl's vocals swells and sort of shimmers. Slash's slide solo in the sex-sample section too, is pretty atmospheric in the way its slightly out of time. 

You Ain't the First has some beautiful atmosphere, like if Guns ever did a folk song. Just the way the slide guitar lazily copies the vocal melody, it sounds half-jokey, half-serious. A lot of good use of space on that song. 

• Like 1