Resident Evil 2 Remake.

DeadSlash

Came out last night at midnight, played until 4AM with 1 pee break.

The game is fucking AWESOME.  The original is on my personal Mt Rushmore of games, so there was a high probability of disappointment.  None found.

1. It runs like butter

2. Audio and Visual atmosphere are amazing

3. Visuals are amazing

4. Different enough from the original plot to keep it unpredictable, close enough to pay proper homage to the original.

5. Modern controls  (RE:1 remake was near unplayable because it kept the original controls.)

RE:2.0 is now on my Rushmore of remade videogames.

Edited by DeadSlash
Added #5
  • Like 1

I remember when I was a teenager and I was obsessed with Resident Evil.

I played them endlessly, 1 through Code Veronica, my favorite being 3. 

I became bored and frustrated when I realized that the "story" wasn't going anywhere...that there wasn't going to be a real conclusion. They were just going to keep churning out sequels (just like the films) like a dance that goes on and on. It's like a television show that goes on too long or loses the plot. I wanted a real ending.

13 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

I remember when I was a teenager and I was obsessed with Resident Evil.

I played them endlessly, 1 through Code Veronica, my favorite being 3. 

I became bored and frustrated when I realized that the "story" wasn't going anywhere...that there wasn't going to be a real conclusion. They were just going to keep churning out sequels (just like the films) like a dance that goes on and on. It's like a television show that goes on too long or loses the plot. I wanted a real ending.

Code Veronica was the main reason I bought a Dream Cast.

FYI, the persistent rumor is that they have already started working on the RE:3 remake.

It's awesome. Fantastic Remake of a classic. The zombies are perfect in this one.
The story of the Resident Evil games was always crap but I wish they would do this now:
- REmake of Resident Evil 3 Nemesis, just like this one.
- Pretend 4,5,6,7 never happened and do a completely new Resident Evil 4 (different name, of course) with a new storyline, based on the first three games.

• Like 1

Like I said, the rumors of 3make already being in the works are pretty heavy.

I did like 7, but I agree that there was some magic in 1-3 and Code Veronica that was lost starting with 4.  RE0 was borderline, but there is a clear delineation between 1-3 and Code Veronica vs. 4 forward, and I don't just mean the camera work.  The transition from Zombies to pod people sprouting Venus fly traps from their necks after a head shot really kicked the series in the balls.  I think RE:2 was greenlit because of RE:7's success, and I think RE:3 is a LOCK with the smashing success of RE:2boot.

I'm going back and forth in my head about if I'd rather RE:2v2.0 style remakes of 3, 1 and Veronica, or a whole new title altogether.  If it goes back to zombies, I'd love a new title, but if they keep going in a different direction, I'd rather the REmakes.

FYI, I'm shocked I didn't know this already being that I am an RE freak, but Code Veronica is the true RE:3, and RE:3 Nemesis was the one slated to be a spinoff, but they flip flopped because of some licensing deal with Sony.  I literally have a hardbound book from Capcom with a summary of all the lore (up to 4, I think.)

RE4 is still one of my favourite games of all time.  I think it comes down to whether you were into the series prior or you were late to the party.  I tried earlier RE games but couldn't accept the wacky controls.  I even gave RE1 a chance when it was remastered on the GameCube.  But it was RE4 with the new control mechanisms and that opening scene with the chainsaw that made me take notice and enjoy the hell out of the game.  

Funny enough, as much as I enjoyed 4, I never went back to the series.  Friends bought RE5 and the response wasn't great.  RE6 was panned by nearly every living person on the planet.  I'm not that into horror/survival games which seems to incapsulate RE7 so waiting for my brother in-law to finish his copy.  Willing to give it a shot but not going to pay for it.  

RE2 looks like the first RE game I'm actually interested in for a very long time.  Glad to hear Capcom hit it out of the park.  Likely won't get around to playing it until it goes on sale this spring.  Still have Far Cry 5 and COD - BO IV that are still in the shrink wrap.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, downzy said:

RE4 is still one of my favourite games of all time.  I think it comes down to whether you were into the series prior or you were late to the party.  I tried earlier RE games but couldn't accept the wacky controls.  I even gave RE1 a chance when it was remastered on the GameCube.  But it was RE4 with the new control mechanisms and that opening scene with the chainsaw that made me take notice and enjoy the hell out of the game.  

Funny enough, as much as I enjoyed 4, I never went back to the series.  Friends bought RE5 and the response wasn't great.  RE6 was panned by nearly every living person on the planet.  I'm not that into horror/survival games which seems to incapsulate RE7 so waiting for my brother in-law to finish his copy.  Willing to give it a shot but not going to pay for it.  

RE2 looks like the first RE game I'm actually interested in for a very long time.  Glad to hear Capcom hit it out of the park.  Likely won't get around to playing it until it goes on sale this spring.  Still have Far Cry 5 and COD - BO IV that are still in the shrink wrap.   

Yes, when you got into the series is a huge factor on how you feel about the modern titles.  I will say though, even as someone who played the originals when they first came out, the old control scheme is impossible for me to go back to.  It's kind of a bummer, because I'd like to play RE:0 or the remaster, but I just can't do those controls.

I think one of the main reasons this remake is such a hit is because the most common gripe from the "old" RE fans isn't the new controls, it's the move away from zombies and horror and replacing it with action and pod people who grow vines from their head after head shots.  Initially, the old school crowd HATED the new controls RE4 introduced, but we're all used to them now.  The most common gripe about the old games from the "new" fans was the awful controls on the originals.  reRE:2 addresses both issues and is a rare win/win where everyone is happy.

I think RE:7 was a pleasant surprise.  Not a true "zombie game" but was still awesome.  It was nothing like prior titles.

Side note, did you see they are putting out another FC in a few weeks?  I forget what it is called (Not Far Cry 6) it's a direct sequel to 5, and is taking a lot of heat for looking like a glorified $40 expansion.  If you haven't finished FC5 yet, and hate spoilers, I wouldn't recommend looking it up because the basic story is kind of a giant spoiler as it happens as a result of FC5's ending.

Edited by DeadSlash

5 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

Side note, did you see they are putting out another FC in a few weeks?  I forget what it is called (Not Far Cry 6) it's a direct sequel to 5, and is taking a lot of heat for looking like a glorified $40 expansion.  If you haven't finished FC5 yet, and hate spoilers, I wouldn't recommend looking it up because the basic story is kind of a giant spoiler as it happens as a result of FC5's ending.

Unfortunately the ending of Far Cry 5 has already been ruined for me.  I was watching a recap of the new games announced a month or two ago on IGN and they explained what the expansion is about without any spoiler warning.  They said that if you haven't played FC5 yet then it's on you for having the ending spoiled.  Which is pretty fucking terrible as not all of us have a million free hours to play video games and only get to play one to three games a year.

----------------------

Back on topic.  The headshot issue of RE4 never bothered me other than it made the game harder.  And personally, I thought R4 was a tad scarier than the previous games, especially the first part of the game.  That chainsaw guy really scared the shit out of me the first few times I played it through.  Being besieged by pseudo-zombie townspeople felt more mysterious than zombies and it wasn't evidently clear how the Umbrella Corp played a role.  Again, to each their own, but RE4 felt like a revolution in gaming at the time in a way that previous games did not (outside of introducing a horror component to video games).   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, downzy said:

Unfortunately the ending of Far Cry 5 has already been ruined for me.  I was watching a recap of the new games announced a month or two ago on IGN and they explained what the expansion is about without any spoiler warning.  They said that if you haven't played FC5 yet then it's on you for having the ending spoiled.  Which is pretty fucking terrible as not all of us have a million free hours to play video games and only get to play one to three games a year.

----------------------

Back on topic.  The headshot issue of RE4 never bothered me other than it made the game harder.  And personally, I thought R4 was a tad scarier than the previous games, especially the first part of the game.  That chainsaw guy really scared the shit out of me the first few times I played it through.  Being besieged by pseudo-zombie townspeople felt more mysterious than zombies and it wasn't evidently clear how the Umbrella Corp played a role.  Again, to each their own, but RE4 felt like a revolution in gaming at the time in a way that previous games did not (outside of introducing a horror component to video games).   

I just want to clarify so as to not mislead on RE:2, my gripe wasn't that head shots didn't kill the enemy in RE:4, in fact, they do not always kill the enemies in reRE:2, either (unless you get a randomly awarded critical.) and I'm fine with that.   I just meant that they were like pod/plant people and not zombies anymore.  I used the headshot thing as an example because it was a literal plant vine shooting out of their neck hole.  RE:4 was a great game, but for me it was like a really amazing Avengers movie that didn't have any superheroes in it.  It could be the movie of the decade, but it would still be a let down for me that an Avengers movie had no Avengers in it.  RE:4 was Resident Evil without Zombies in it.  That made me sad  :/