Gnr Missing Out

21 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Isn't $13/month the same as a Netflix subscription?

If GNR did that, and it were audio and video I'd sign up for it in a heartbeat.

I actually cancelled my Netflix subscription when they raised the price. I thought the price increase was a bit much for what they offer. They cancelled Marvel shows along with House of Cards and nothing else interests me. I kept Amazon Prime due to more value.

As much as I am being a hardcore GNR fan, I wouldn't subscribe to something like that. To me it's just not enough value. You can find shows for free on YouTube. I've listened to concerts on YouTube. 

The napster thing was like 20 years ago

Metallica does put out a lot for a legacy band, even if not all of it goes off well

I'm the past decade they have,

-Released a studio album and toured it

-Put out a lot of live albums/DVDs

-Produced and released a major movie

-Put on their own festival

-Various tours 

-Released an EP

-Released a collaborative studio album

-Anniversary shows with old members

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

Metallica setting the bar on treating fans?! Really?! Is that the reason they brought down Napster since they "love" the fans?? I love Metallica but let's kinda be realistic about being fan friendly.

On the other hand, Pearl Jam actually  does care for the fans by going against TicketMaster in the 90s. I give them a lot of credit for that. 

The Napster angle that they don’t care about fans is cute....It was a different time. The sudden realization that you’re losing out on your nest egg of royalties prob didn’t sit well for them. 

PR wise it was a disaster. However it all worked out for them in the long run. They adjusted. 

Just find it funny when people say they didn’t care about fans, when it was fans who didn’t care enough to buy a record.

Be angry at the labels who were pushing 18.98 SRLP’s, not the band who were looking at less than a buck per record after the label decided they recouped on the advance and stopped charging 10 bucks for that Pepsi they offered you in their meetings 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soon said:

Just as an aside, there are over 13 000 concert recordings of the Grateful Dead that can be streamed for free on the Internet Archive

https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead?&sort=-downloads&page=3

Didn't know that and you know that's my favorite band but, who has the time.  The Dead probably know that and that's why it's free.  They've gotten pretty good at sources of revenue. 

But Jerry died wanting to do something else with his life.  He didn't feel he could leave the band because the band employed so many people.  And now it sucks for all of us because he's not around.

lol, there's no rhyme or reason to the organization of that archive.  I was looking for a Kansas City show I was at around 78.  Would like to hear what I missed.  I was so tripping my brains out. :lol:  Might have been the last time I did acid.

Edited by cineater

20 minutes ago, cineater said:

Didn't know that and you know that's my favorite band but, who has the time.  The Dead probably know that and that's why it's free.  They've gotten pretty good at sources of revenue. 

But Jerry died wanting to do something else with his life.  He didn't feel he could leave the band because the band employed so many people.  And now it sucks for all of us because he's not around.

lol, there's no rhyme or reason to the organization of that archive.  I was looking for a Kansas City show I was at around 78.  Would like to hear what I missed.  I was so tripping my brains out. :lol:  Might have been the last time I did acid.

Arrowhead Stadium, 78?  https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead?and[]=kansas+city%2C+1978&sin=&sort=-downloads

Go on then cineater, trip your brains out to the Dead! :lol:

Yeah, the story of the last years of Jerrys life is really sad. I think they were always great about letting people record them and tape trade, so maybe the archives are just a continuation of that, but its also true that the business machine that they became seems to have got out of hand. Can you imagine if he was still playing in the band? Tragic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, soon said:

Arrowhead Stadium, 78?  https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead?and[]=kansas+city%2C+1978&sin=&sort=-downloads

Yeah, the story of the last years of Jerrys life is really sad. I think they were always great about letting people record them and tape trade, so maybe the archives are just a continuation of that, but its also true that the business machine that they became seems to have got out of hand. Can you imagine if he was still playing in the band? Tragic.

The archives are there and it’s great for their fan base. Obviously there’s a sense of gratitude for what the tape community did and provided for that band. 

Not everything is available in the archive though. If something was officially released, they won’t allow it to be shared. So all of the shows, compilations, Dick’s Picks, etc  that have been released over the years won’t be found in there. 

Sort of similar to the GNR tracker that was around for those few years. 

Maybe one day the band will be in position to offer something like this. I just don’t see it right now with their label situation. That needs to be addressed before opening the vaults and making a large quantity of stuff available 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

The Napster angle that they don’t care about fans is cute....It was a different time. The sudden realization that you’re losing out on your nest egg of royalties prob didn’t sit well for them. 

PR wise it was a disaster. However it all worked out for them in the long run. They adjusted. 

Just find it funny when people say they didn’t care about fans, when it was fans who didn’t care enough to buy a record.

Be angry at the labels who were pushing 18.98 SRLP’s, not the band who were looking at less than a buck per record after the label decided they recouped on the advance and stopped charging 10 bucks for that Pepsi they offered you in their meetings 

How is it cute??? You can't justify their actions, especially Lars. It was greed, especially now that they are charging $13 or $25 a month.  Additionally people were still buying records at the time. Also, their tickets are expensive. My opinion is you can't really say that they are truly fan friendly.

It's ashame that more bands did not join Pearl Jam in their fight against TicketMaster. If other bands had, ticket prices would be more reasonable. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I would have no problem spunking $13 a month for access to hundreds of Guns soundboards & pro-shots alone, never mind the other bands. Subscribing and ripping would be cheaper than paying at least that per bootleg, plus YouTube and other sources haven't exactly been reliable recently.

But yeah, temporary tattoos, weird glow in the dark pumpkin shirts and passports & uniforms for a fake airline make much more sense.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I would have no problem spunking $13 a month for access to hundreds of Guns soundboards & pro-shots alone, never mind the other bands. Subscribing and ripping would be cheaper than paying at least that per bootleg, plus YouTube and other sources haven't exactly been reliable recently.

But yeah, temporary tattoos, weird glow in the dark pumpkin shirts and passports & uniforms for a fake airline make much more sense.

Agreed. If you think about the cost it's just like equivalent to 1 pack of cigs or a couple of drinks in the pub. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Draguns said:

Metallica setting the bar on treating fans?! Really?! Is that the reason they brought down Napster since they "love" the fans?? I love Metallica but let's kinda be realistic about being fan friendly.

On the other hand, Pearl Jam actually  does care for the fans by going against TicketMaster in the 90s. I give them a lot of credit for that. 

Thing is - MetallicA were already wealthy beyond their wildest dreams after the Black album and say what you want about Lars - he is outspoken and I believe him when he says it was about control. Remember, they sued their own record company to get control of their masters.

Its funny how PR can sway opinion - if memory serves correctly, the whole ‘Sue the fans’ thing was on the back of them being told that there was no way it could be done to trace those who were downloading their stuff. So Lars rocked up with that list to prove it could be done.

We are all entitled to an opinion but I think MetallicA are very much fan friendly.

14 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Agreed. If you think about the cost it's just like equivalent to 1 pack of cigs or a couple of drinks in the pub. 

I'd probably pay around $100 a month for that.. jeez the entire UYI tour, 2009-10 shows. 87-88 shows? Have the chance to pick my favorite performances. Listen to every recording of UYI songs. Man oh man. There would finally be a chance to piece together an actual live album for this band

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Draguns said:

How is it cute??? You can't justify their actions, especially Lars. It was greed, especially now that they are charging $13 or $25 a month.  Additionally people were still buying records at the time. Also, their tickets are expensive. My opinion is you can't really say that they are truly fan friendly.

It's ashame that more bands did not join Pearl Jam in their fight against TicketMaster. If other bands had, ticket prices would be more reasonable. 

So they’re the one’s who are greedy because people were stealing songs? Got it. 

Granted it was shortsighted, nor was suing fans a great strategy, but up until that point they made $ off of their royalties as constant long term stream of income. I’m sure if a collection of people took a certain percentage of your income you’d be looking for answers in how to stop it and get it back... prob frustrating to find out you can’t find them or do anything about it.

To say they were a bit concerned at the thought of that suddenly disappearing might be an understatement. They knew what was to come. Record sales are drastically different from 1998 to 2008, and then again from 2008 to 2018. They were right to be concerned about their long term revenue stream. It’s pretty much nonexistent. Then people wonder why ticket prices keep rising 

They've since adjusted to the times multiple ways since then. As far as what they offer today, If it’s not worth the price, don’t buy it and send them a message. Supply and demand. 

• Like 1

They're all greedy pigs, these old fart rock bands, it is just they go about their greed in different ways. Guns choose to sell tatty merchandising nobody wants for the majority of the time, and one big scandalously priced boxset. Metallica release things far more often, and things fans actually want, but overcharge no doubt. They both rip their fanbases off with ticket pricing.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

They're all greedy pigs, these old fart rock bands, it is just they go about their greed in different ways. Guns choose to sell tatty merchandising nobody wants for the majority of the time, and one big scandalously priced boxset. Metallica release things far more often, and things fans actually want, but overcharge no doubt. They both rip their fanbases off with ticket pricing.

I don't disagree, although GNRs prices were no where near the prices of a band like U2, Elton John is coming to Columbia and charging ~$250 for upper level seats. I got my equivalent GN'R tickets for around 75 each. I understand that 99% of bands overcharge. It just hurts more when you have such a poverty of material

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Thing is - MetallicA were already wealthy beyond their wildest dreams after the Black album and say what you want about Lars - he is outspoken and I believe him when he says it was about control. Remember, they sued their own record company to get control of their masters.

Its funny how PR can sway opinion - if memory serves correctly, the whole ‘Sue the fans’ thing was on the back of them being told that there was no way it could be done to trace those who were downloading their stuff. So Lars rocked up with that list to prove it could be done.

We are all entitled to an opinion but I think MetallicA are very much fan friendly.

Is that right for their fans to file a lawsuit?! 

They are well within their right to charge how much they want to for their content. They weren't correct in the way they went about in trying to protect their content.  With that being said, they are smart business people, but they don't go out of their way for fans. That's the difference.

Besides Pearl Jam, Kid Rock told his sponsors that he didn't want to charge fans more than $20 for his shows in 2013. He told them that he would subsidize if the cost rose. 

Jon Bon Jovi has two restaurants in NJ. He can charge anything he wants and fans would still flock there. Instead his restaurant are fan friendly. You  pay as to how much you can afford. If you can't afford it then you can work in the restaurant to pay for your meal. During this entire government shutdown, he offered Federal workers free meals. That's pretty cool to say the least. 

These are some things that are fan friendly and should/could be done. 

Edited by Draguns

45 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Is that right for their fans to file a lawsuit?! 

They are well within their right to charge how much they want to for their content. They weren't correct in the way they went about in trying to protect their content.  With that being said, they are smart business people, but they don't go out of their way for fans. That's the difference.

Besides Pearl Jam, Kid Rock told his sponsors that he didn't want to charge fans more than $20 for his shows in 2013. He told them that he would subsidize if the cost rose. 

Jon Bon Jovi has two restaurants in NJ. He can charge anything he wants and fans would still flock there. Instead his restaurant are fan friendly. You  pay as to how much you can afford. If you can't afford it then you can work in the restaurant to pay for your meal. During this entire government shutdown, he offered Federal workers free meals. That's pretty cool to say the least. 

These are some things that are fan friendly and should/could be done. 

Admittedly that’s some cool stuff. MetallicA do stuff like gigs in the San Francisco area with all proceeds to charity and stuff like that though.

I sound like their PR person! 😂

Good debate though. 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, soon said:

Yeah that's the show.  I remember the heat.  They turned the fire hoses on those of us on the field. :lol:  Jerry didn't like the business side or the true deadheads, modern day gypsies and not a brain cell left.  :lol:  I hope GNR is enjoying their trip in the music business these days.

Speaking of tripping to the Dead.  Slash is the guest guitarist.  Hear him when the song mentions GNR.

Edited by cineater

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

All I purchased from Guns last year was SOYL for 1 dollar on iTunes, and it still feels like I wasted my money on that old fart song. :facepalm:

I think the last time I ever gave Rose my money was when I went to see Nugnr in 2012. I am however going to see Slash next month. 

• Like 2