Gnr Missing Out

Metallica is run and operated by professionals that know how to draw dimes.

Gotta remember GNR's business model, they've always been about the fashion.  Team Brazil has their finger on the pulse of the community, and they believe what the people want is tacky merch shoved into a thousand dollar crate.  :lol:

Edited by Gackt
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, cineater said:

Yeah that's the show.  I remember the heat.  They turned the fire hoses on those of us on the field. :lol:  Jerry didn't like the business side or the true deadheads, modern day gypsies and not a brain cell left.  :lol:  I hope GNR is enjoying their trip in the music business these days.

Speaking of tripping to the Dead.  Slash is the guest guitarist.  Hear him when the song mentions GNR.

Yay, Im glad thats the right show! I guess its all about context when they turn the fire hoses on you :lol: Im envious, wish Id been around then to see those tours!

And so sad how all the business stuff got ugly after he died, too. The Dead not really liking Deadheads is a very interesting bit of rock history.

Dang, Slash plays some tasty licks there! I cant place it if that lick is referencing something?

13 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Admittedly that’s some cool stuff. MetallicA do stuff like gigs in the San Francisco area with all proceeds to charity and stuff like that though.

I sound like their PR person! 😂

Good debate though. 👍

Im pretty sure Metallica charge b/w $500k & $1M to show up for a charity gig. Don't get me wrong, the fact that they make themselves available for charity shows is awesome, but it's not like they're doing it for free.

2 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Im pretty sure Metallica charge b/w $500k & $1M to show up for a charity gig. Don't get me wrong, the fact that they make themselves available for charity shows is awesome, but it's not like they're doing it for free.

Are you sure they charge that amount??!! I have never heard that before! And judging by some of the charities they play, it seems little prospect of the charity putting up $500k min to get them regardless of what could be raised afterwards?

3 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Well then they're not doing it for charity. Usually the idea is you do it for free. I have heard of sleazy politicians (Blair) doing speaking tours like this, pocketing a fee for speaking at a charity event. It is a disgrace. 

3 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Are you sure they charge that amount??!! I have never heard that before! And judging by some of the charities they play, it seems little prospect of the charity putting up $500k min to get them regardless of what could be raised afterwards?

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well then they're not doing it for charity. Usually the idea is you do it for free. I have heard of sleazy politicians (Blair) doing speaking tours like this, pocketing a fee for speaking at a charity event. It is a disgrace. 

I am specifically referring to when they put on a full production. I don't believe they charge for things like the Bridge School Benefit. Sorry for any confusion.

15 hours ago, DTV88 said:

I am specifically referring to when they put on a full production. I don't believe they charge for things like the Bridge School Benefit. Sorry for any confusion.

That prob covers their production costs and team being flown in. That’s not unheard of. The band prob doesn’t make anything in that scenario

• Like 2

I dont know US labour law, but a band with that employs 100s of people to tour cant force them to all work for free at a charitable event. Some/many workers are no doubt Unionized too. And Unions would enforce pay regulations. Travel costs and accommodations alone get super high when youre talking private plans and a fleet of mac trucks.

Metallica runs their own awesome charity too! :headbang:

You remember the cartoon Axl did for Rio 2001 in response to the fans trying to turn him into Howard Hughes?  He should do a new one on fans trying to turn him into the Donald Trump of the music businesses, lol.  Address all those fan comments about the band should do this or that, vault security, Team Brazil and lack of GNR news.  I'm Mickey not Donald.  lol, think he could have a good time with it

16 hours ago, cineater said:

You remember the cartoon Axl did for Rio 2001 in response to the fans trying to turn him into Howard Hughes?  He should do a new one on fans trying to turn him into the Donald Trump of the music businesses, lol.  Address all those fan comments about the band should do this or that, vault security, Team Brazil and lack of GNR news.  I'm Mickey not Donald.  lol, think he could have a good time with it

Huh? Why would Axl make a video to express displeasure with his fans wanting to buy art from him?