If Slash would have started a solo career with another singer who sang on his self-titled album and not Myles, who should it have been and why?

KeyserSoze

I'm not sure if I've ever seen this discussed before.

Now that we are almost 10 years down the road from Slashs first major solo effort in years, who is one singer who appeared on the album that you would have rather seen Slash tour the world with in the 2010's rather than Myles? 

I don't think I've really thought about this, so I'll see where this goes before I make up my mind

I think from the people who appeared on that album, Myles was the best choice in the long run. Even though I can't dig his high register voice. His lower register sounds good. But him and Slash and the other guys look and sound like a band. A bit generic band, but still.

But like many of you have already said: John Corabi. He's so good.

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

I actually wanted Fergie, may god have mercy on my soul.

14 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I'd love to have seen M. Shadows. He's one of the best vocalists/lyricists in modern rock, he grew up a die-hard GN'R fan, and has the range to cover the Guns material. 

These are the two I would pick also.

Honestly I don't think it'd matter, his guitar playing can fit into a number of different musical contexts and they don't have to be your typical rock style singer and the singer guitarist relationship isn't really something that you can listen to tunes and go 'OK, those two don't work together', that fits more with like a drummer and a guitar player, or a bass player and lead guitarist, a combination of the guys playing instruments etc., thats where styles have to gel and mix in and interplay and work off each other, when its a singer and guitarist what matters more is the song itself and how well they work together on it rather than any sort of musical relationship between the two.  Not that singers and guitarists don't have musical relationships cuz they do its just more to do with whether they get along or have the same tastes or share a vision which isn't something you can necessarily hear in the music of one or the other as seperate entities.  You could clock like a funky bass player like Mani from The Stone Roses and then go OK, i see how Slash COULD fit in there in the sense that his playing often has a fair bit of groove but the same doesn't really apply in the same way for singers and lead guitarists, at least not in a way in which a listener could ascertain with any degree of conviction whether they would work together well. 

25 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Chris Cornell or Ian Asbury...

It would’ve been a dream come true for me, Slash and Chris Cornell in the same band :heart:

I also really like the song he did with Ian Astbury but after a few songs his voice gets on my nerves - it doesn’t seem vary much (imo) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralphelmo said:

Stockdale is awful live. I'd go for Fergie/Nicole Scherzinger :D 

He sounds terrible on the videos from 2010 of them doing By The Sword live and I think he's high on all of them. The Fergie/Nicole one would be cool. Beautiful Dangerous is one of my favorites from that record and I would love to hear how Fergie would approach the GnR and other material.

If Slash started a solo career with another singer other than Myles, I would have been a happier guy since that would have meant more Alter Bridge time and Myles could have released a solo album sooner, but that's a different topic.

Anyway, yeah, I would think a Slash/Chris Cornell collaboration could have worked out to be solid.  Promise shown uhhhh, promise in the pairing working and the timeline would have made sense as it was after Audioslave disbanded and around two years before Soundgarden released their (would be) final album.

M. Shadows would be a solid pick, and he's a big GNR fan, but there's no way you make a band like Avenged Sevenfold to be half-time when they were on the cusp to be the biggest modern hard rock/heavy metal band, that broke through in the 00s, going right now (unlike Myles' case with Alter Bridge where they were nowhere near the cusp of totally breaking through in the mainstream rock realm and they were already on a break when Creed temporarily reformed).

I did enjoy Beautiful Dangerous from Fergie (also a big GNR fan) and I think female pop-like singers (Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, etc.) have a part of them that wants to sing rock, but sadly, those don't pay the bills and provide lucrative opportunities nowadays, but I think Fergie would have definitely make it work depending on how Black Eyed Peas was doing back then.

Edited by Anguyen92

When I first saw MK with SLASH in 2010 in support of the album, I didn't know who he was. I owned and had listened to the new solo album, but I still knew nothing of MK. That concert led me to listen to Alter Bridge (I knew of Creed previously).

Over the years, I've grown to really love MK as a musician. Not only do I like his range as a vocalist (I agree that his low registers are especially good), but I also discovered just how good he is as a guitarist. He actually used to be a guitar teacher years and years ago and even SLASH has admitted to picking up techniques from him.

Anyway, the point is that I've been won over by Myles and have become just as much a fan of his as of SLASH. I truly believe he is a great compliment and bandmate to SLASH. While WAR will always be my favorite vocal pairing for SLASH, Myles is a nice consolation prize. Before Myles, I was always partial to Rod Jackson and the work he did with SLASH on the album ALG.

As someone else pointed out, SLASH is versatile and could fit in with a lot of different vocalists. Hell, he even played with Carole King a few times! Point is, name a vocalist and SLASH can probably make it work. I'm not much of a fan of many of the other names mentioned, but for those that are -- I can see why they believe it would be a good fit.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 2