Where would the band be if the UYI lineup had never broken up?

Too broad of a thing to speculate. If were saying UYI, then let's assume Steven and Izzy (technically the writing and some of the recording between 1989-90 involved the original 5). So, they tour the world as the UYI dies down. Work on songs that would probably be for other band member albums/Velvet Revolver. I'm not sure, with Axl tugging super hard towards the industrial metal scene, unless the entire band could stay unified and at least push him towards a cohesive direction, i'm not sure that things would be like we assume (where they release 3 more Appetite/UYI caliber albums). Maybe? who knows. It's like wondering if the Beatles didn't break up, would the Wings tracks be there's? John and Yoko's tracks? Just hard to really speculate. Would be interest to gander at a timeline like that... lord knows we have nothing but time...

Woulda been interesting if it was the UYI lineup playing RIR 2001 and VMA’s 2002, that’s for sure. But honestly I’m not concerned with what-if history anymore, since I like the Bucket line-up and thought the 2016 reunion was so emotionally powerful since it’s something we all waited 23 years for. I’m fine with the way things turned out in reality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Too broad of a thing to speculate.

Agreed.  If just looking at it as a fun exercise, it's really hard to do knowing what we do about the band members.

Slash wrote a lot

Izzy wrote a lot

Duff wrote a good amount

If Axl wasn't on board, no matter how much they write, it's not going anywhere.

My final answer would be it couldn't have happened, the band member were not compatible at the time.  My suspending disbelief answer would be the 3 albums would consist Axl's vocals on the 36 "best" songs from the catalogues of Slash, Izzy, Duff and VR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

I think some of Gilbys stuff from Pawn Shop and 5 O'Clock with Axl singing would've been really popular and celebrated in the alt rock/grunge era. Black would flow right from SIDHY and the Trilogy. 

Yeah, those albums have solid material, the only reason I see for Axl not wanting Gilby writting for GNR is he would feel less powerful. But Gilby did some really special stuff, specially on Pawnshop Guitars. 

A mix of those albuns with Axl and Duff imput would be great. 

Axl shouldve seen the greater vision of what GNR was, a rock n roll band, and saved his weird stuff to a solo project. GNR wouldve probably never broke up if that happened, his album would be celebrated and we wouldve both: CD, as a celebrated solo album and GNR. 

• GNFNR 1

40 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

This is the most likely scenario. It's a miracle all of the AFD5 are still alive. The split(s) was best for everyone involved.

I think Slash himself said in his book that he'd be dead right now if he hadn't left the band 

As stated above, a scenario where the band stayed together is unthinkable due to the clash of ideas and egos. The only way it could have kept going was if some of them gave into the others ideas and demands and that likely wouldn't have lasted long either. And yes, Slash and Duff would have likely eventually died from the substance abuse. 

I think even in a best case scenario they would have broken up after the 1996 album and subsequent tour. Axl and Slash were musically on opposite poles and the longer things dragged out, the worse it got. Had Slash not done Snakepit and spent 1995 lighting a fire under Axl's ass and forcing him to release something, they may have somehow managed to get that mid-90's record made. Either way, there is no conceivable way they could have lasted beyond that with Axl and Goldstein at the helm.

• Like 1

Axl shoulda gone solo for 3-4 years to get the industrial (CD style) crap out of his system. Duff coulda sobered up (which he did) Slash also coulda gone solo (which he also did).    Axl had too many people up his ass and was too mixed up with Yoda and “yes men” so he fucked the whole thing up.   Also TB saw a weakness in Axl and just took advantage.  Why he didn’t let the GnR name rest is beyond me.   *well the “yes men” and such that were up his ass wanted to be associated with “Guns n Roses” not Axl Rose solo. 

On 02/02/2019 at 1:23 AM, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Let's assume that the UYI lineup had never disintegrated and put out at least 3 more albums (96, 99, 02). Where would the band be today? Also, would the public/fans view Axl differently?

if i am not mistaken they got Gilby Clarke (and Tracy and Roberta and Zig Zag...) when the UYI line up broke up

On 2-2-2019 at 4:23 AM, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Let's assume that the UYI lineup had never disintegrated and put out at least 3 more albums (96, 99, 02). Where would the band be today? Also, would the public/fans view Axl differently?

Where every rockband from the late eighties is right now - touring as a nostalgia act and doing nothing of significance. Sop yeah, pretty much what they're doing now. 

Expect maybe CD wouldn't be the punchline of a bad sitcom joke. 

• Like 1

On 02/02/2019 at 11:49 PM, RONIN said:

Had Slash not done Snakepit and spent 1995 lighting a fire under Axl's ass and forcing him to release something, they may have somehow managed to get that mid-90's record made.

What talented guitarist wants to spend their time being Axls social worker/therapist though?

• GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, username said:

Where every rockband from the late eighties is right now - touring as a nostalgia act and doing nothing of significance. Sop yeah, pretty much what they're doing now. 

Expect maybe CD wouldn't be the punchline of a bad sitcom joke. 

guns n roses what is left of GNR is not on the same "league" of "every rockband from the late eighties"

they are on the same league of the biggest rock bands in the world, meaning acdc, stones, aerosmith, iron maiden, bon jovi, etc

all of these bands release new music from time to time

51 minutes ago, username said:

I'd have loved it if they'd done MTV Unplugged back in the day. Hell, since it seems to be back again I'd love it if they did it now. 

they did it, thing is MTV shot the whole thing with a single cam from the side of the "stage"

https://www.rocksceneauctions.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/GnR_2017-06-CBGBs.jpg