Where would the band be if the UYI lineup had never broken up?

The sad thing is i think it was inevitable.  Maybe they could have worked on a few more albums and put them out but with the differences in opinion in the direction the band should go I think ultimately the albums would have been kind of a mass and the band would have broken up anyway.  If they did end up putting out a few more albums and just broke up one day I think Axl would have continued as a solo artist instead of with the GnR name and I'm not sure if Slash would have the legendary status he has today either... Not that he doesn't deserve it but he kind of faded away when Snakepit 2 was out... VR brought him to a younger and different audience and really cemented that legendary status he now has.

We're like children of divorced couples, whining, "Oh, would all have been better if mom and dad didn't break up? I wish they hadn't." No, you stupid fuck. If they hadn't gone their separate ways they would have just continued fighting and fighting like they used to do all the time and you'd feel awful up in your room thinking it was all your fault, and your dad would have started fucking that slag from work in frustration and your mom would just be crying all the time and it would all just be horrible, horrible, horrible. That's what would have happened. Now, dad got to go out and party a bit more and grow up and mom got to test out arts class and "realize herself", and the passion might not be there anymore but at least they are back together and there is no more fighting and you don't have to choose between them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, megaguns1982 said:

It fits so well.. but I think you were right. It’s unfolding before us

I am sure you are referring to the Brand and marketing aspect but other than that Guns aren't even a pimple on The Stones ass as far as productivity, influence and longevity go.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I am sure you are referring to the Brand and marketing aspect but other than that Guns aren't even a pimple on The Stones ass as far as productivity, influence and longevity go.  

I respectfully disagree with a lot of your opinions but we're on the same page here. Say what you will about the Stones cashing in on nostalgia but at least they've steadily given their fans material throughout their career.

• Like 2

I do think they would have needed to take a break for a while-having released the Illusion albums and TSI?, the public kind of needed a break from Guns n Roses. It would have been interesting to see if they would have done the Woodstock concerts (I think Slash said they turned down a Woodstock 94 offer), or the Lollapalooza tour-I'm guessing they would have eventually been asked. they probably would have been in the Bon Jovi/Motley/Metallica range of bands that would easily fill an arena-would have been interesting to see if they could have had another massive hit like Bon Jovi did with It's My Life in 2000-something that Chinese Democracy sorely lacked.

13 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Guns N' Roses have more great songs than the Stones despite having a much smaller catalogue.

Gimme Shelter

Sympathy for the Devil

Paint it Black

Wild Horses

Miss You

Angie 

Brown Sugar

Can't you Hear Me Knocking

Dead Flowers

(I Can't Get No)Satisfaction

Salt of the Earth

You Can't Always Get What You Want

That's only 12 'great' Rolling Stones songs I can think of, which is less than I can think of for GNR. Here's 12 great GNR songs(I could list more) for comparison:

Coma

Patience

Locomotive

Don't Cry(alt)

Civil War

Estranged

The Garden

Rocket Queen

Paradise City

Welcome To The Jungle

Pretty Tied Up

Sweet Child'O Mine

If you're able to list another 12 great Stones songs and I'll respond with 12 more great and better GNR songs.

I can list probably about fifty-seventy ''great Stones songs''!! 

I mean you've left off the entire early era for a start apart from ''Paint it Black'' and ''Satisfaction'' so no ''Last Time'', no ''Out Out Time'', no ''19th Nervous Breakdown'', no ''Get off of my Cloud'', no ''Ruby Tuesday'' etc. Further, you have no ''Street Fighting Man''. You have no ''Jack Flash'' and no ''Honky Tonk Woman''. I don't see ''Tumbling Dice'' either - in fact I don't see anything from Exile, a thorough masterpiece. You have also included only one song from the Ron Wood era which certainly has more great songs than ''Miss You''. 

And that is without mentioning deep cuts!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

I'll accept Ruby Tuesday and Jack Flash and Get off of my Cloud and Fool to Cry and Waiting on a Friend.

Nightrain

14 Years

Breakdown

It's So Easy

My Michelle

Used To Love Her

Out Ta Get Me

Prostitute

Think About You

You're Crazy

Madagascar

November Rain

You genuinely don't see GNR's songs are better quality?

For Guns to equal the Stones, Guns would've had to put out at least another eight Appetites. Really Guns had one great album if we are all going to be honest, Appetite. The Stones had at least eight masterpieces, and a whole host of near-masterpieces.

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

For Guns to equal the Stones, Guns would've had to put out at least another eight Appetites. Really Guns had one great album if we are all going to be honest, Appetite. The Stones had at least eight masterpieces, and a whole host of near-masterpieces.

Would you agree on these as the Stones' masterpieces:

Out of Our Heads
Aftermath
Between the Buttons

Beggar's Banquet

Let it Bleed

Sticky Fingers
Exile

Some Girls

Tattoo You

Near-Great:

Satanic Majesties 
Goat's Head Soup
It's Only Rock N' Roll
Steel Wheels

Undercover

Emotional Rescue

I would argue that Lies is a near masterpiece, and UYI I isn't a classic album, but its collection of songs equal AFD (despite being very different albums).

9 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Guns N' Roses have more great songs than the Stones despite having a much smaller catalogue.

Gimme Shelter

Sympathy for the Devil

Paint it Black

Wild Horses

Miss You

Angie 

Brown Sugar

Can't you Hear Me Knocking

Dead Flowers

(I Can't Get No)Satisfaction

Salt of the Earth

You Can't Always Get What You Want

That's only 12 'great' Rolling Stones songs I can think of, which is less than I can think of for GNR. Here's 12 great GNR songs(I could list more) for comparison:

You left out about 100 great Stones songs..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Stones had at least eight masterpieces, and a whole host of near-masterpieces.

This string of consecutive albums will never be touched

Beggar's Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Maine St (Double Album)
Goats Head Soup
It's Only Rock N' Roll

• Like 1

Answering a couple of replies here, it is a difficult decision because I have my own personal quirks regarding the Stones discography. I probably rate Goats Head Soup higher than the general consensus and Some Girls a tad lower - I love Some Girls, just that I'd probably rank it behind Black and Blue. And I have never been a Between the Buttons acolyte (you should talk to Len). I'm probably a bit kinder on their post-Wyman work than most also.

And Blue & Lonesome was staggeringly good but I think most people felt that.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Most likely they would have released a disappointing album in the late 90's, toured it to dwindling crowds and then broken up after the tour.  There would be no reunion because nobody would have been wanting it since they would have ended on a low note.  I just think that they were so dysfunctional after the UYI tour that there is a very low chance they could have created a good album of GNR music.  Even if Izzy came back to write/record, he wasn't really working WITH the band on UYI.

Plus, there's a good chance that at least Slash would be dead.