Where would the band be if the UYI lineup had never broken up?

On 2/10/2019 at 1:14 PM, Tom-Ass said:

This string of consecutive albums will never be touched

Beggar's Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Maine St (Double Album)
Goats Head Soup
It's Only Rock N' Roll

Aftermath

Between the Buttons

Their Satanic Majesties' Request

Beggar's Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Goats Head Soup
It's Only Rock N' Roll

Fixed

56 minutes ago, Stro said:

For the topic at hand: Band would have fizzled out like it was doing before they split up, probably would be doing state fairs and race day concerts like Poison/Foreigner/Boston type contemporaries.

I'd disagree with you there. Guns was/is at a higher level than the other bands you listed. IMO, they'd still be able to fill large arenas if they'd kept releasing/touring from 95 on.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Fashionista said:

Aftermath

Between the Buttons

Their Satanic Majesties' Request

Beggar's Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Goats Head Soup
It's Only Rock N' Roll

Fixed

I need to get Aftermath.. I have BTB but aside from a couple songs don't really like it and what I have heard from TSMR hasn't impressed me too much either. I do like 12x5 even though it is mostly if not all covers. 

One thing for certain is that The Stones have an insane catalog of music!

14 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I'd disagree with you there. Guns was/is at a higher level than the other bands you listed. IMO, they'd still be able to fill large arenas if they'd kept releasing/touring from 95 on.

They were. But they were lame and uncool before they even broke up and I'm pretty sure had they stuck together they'd have been doing local rock station 80s nostalgia shows with Skid Row and Poison or some shit in 2003.

Likely they would have released some subpar records and now they would be playing arenas but stadiums would be out if the question. I just think they had lost their focus, so getting anything great from them would have been difficult, and that's down to all members pulling in different directions.

On 2/12/2019 at 6:42 AM, Gnrcane said:

Most likely they would have released a disappointing album in the late 90's, toured it to dwindling crowds and then broken up after the tour.  There would be no reunion because nobody would have been wanting it since they would have ended on a low note.  I just think that they were so dysfunctional after the UYI tour that there is a very low chance they could have created a good album of GNR music.  Even if Izzy came back to write/record, he wasn't really working WITH the band on UYI.

Plus, there's a good chance that at least Slash would be dead.

I disagree with all of this, even if they put out disappointing albums in the mid to late 90's/early 2000's. Metallica's Load and Reload and then their low point in St. Anger were disappointing in general (even though I'm personally a fan of Load), and while they lost fans they still maintained themselves as a big band and eventually made a comeback album in 2008. Guns could have done the same. They were simply too big to just turn into what a typical 80's band is now.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:40 AM, Stro said:

They were. But they were lame and uncool before they even broke up and I'm pretty sure had they stuck together they'd have been doing local rock station 80s nostalgia shows with Skid Row and Poison or some shit in 2003.

Dude just not. Guns with Axl and Slash would/will never be below an arena band. Simply too much starpower between them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Dude just not. Guns with Axl and Slash would/will never be below an arena band. Simply too much starpower between them.

That's what I'm thinking. The performances are that good with Axl and Slash. It's pretty surreal to witness it in person. 

Edited by Gibson_Guy87
  • Like 1

On 10/02/2019 at 2:49 AM, Ericstacey said:

I do think they would have needed to take a break for a while-having released the Illusion albums and TSI?, the public kind of needed a break from Guns n Roses. It would have been interesting to see if they would have done the Woodstock concerts (I think Slash said they turned down a Woodstock 94 offer), or the Lollapalooza tour-I'm guessing they would have eventually been asked. they probably would have been in the Bon Jovi/Motley/Metallica range of bands that would easily fill an arena-would have been interesting to see if they could have had another massive hit like Bon Jovi did with It's My Life in 2000-something that Chinese Democracy sorely lacked.

Agree with this, they were quite uncool by 1993, and were seen as a bit of a joke in the music scene.

(Not by me )

I'm actually quite happy with how things turned out, good solo albums from Slash, Duff, Izzy and Gilby, got me into Bucket, Finck and Bumble, who I don't think I would have discovered

Edited by Brownstone drum
Added a sentance