The 6 Nations thread.

spunko12345

I don't know if there is much appetite for the egg chasing on here @DieselDaisy maybe and a few of our friends accross the channel but I thought I'd make this thread. Wales walloped the froggies over there yesterday against the run of play you'd have to say certainly in the first half.

England v Ireland now. How did Ireland manage to put aside their differences to form one unified Irish team? There is this centuries old divide but it's as if they just forget about it for the rugby.  Don't think there's ever been many Norn Irish rugby players mind.

Edited by spunko12345

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

England played well. Defended high, slowing their play and forcing them into rash decisions - also winning the aerial battle. Very enjoyable all round. I didn't see the first two matches. 

England looked ominous. Big victory winning in Ireland these days.

Scotland had a routine 33-20 victory against Italy. Wales were 16 nil down at half time but the French imploded as they so often do when teams disrupt and niggle them at the breakdown. Wales ended up winning comfortably with a couple of tries from George North.

1 minute ago, spunko12345 said:

England looked ominous. Big victory winning in Ireland these days.

Scotland had a routine 33-20 victory against Italy. Wales were 16 nil down at half time but the French imploded as they so often do when teams disrupt and niggle them at the breakdown. Wales ended up winning comfortably with a couple of tries from George North.

The Italians are not really very good at this Rugby thing are they? They should stick to cooking. Not that I should talk as I quit Rugby after about three weeks when I was younger because I was too much of a wuss.

25 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Looks like it'll be Wales v England then in a battle for world supremacy.

That should be a good match but Wales will need to improve massively from the performance against Italy (although it was largely a second string team).

England are in one of their periods where they are so clinical and accurate and can blow you away. But it's always on a knife edge, if you can starve the England backs of decent ball they can fall apart discipline wise and can be beaten fairly regularly. 

Wales have plenty of weaknesses and ways we can balls a match up though but it's all to play for. I predict England win and will win the tournament but the Scots will grind out a victory to deny a grand slam.

28 minutes ago, soon said:

I used to play a bit in my school days. Honestly didnt know most of the rules though, I just remember all the ball grabbing and hair pulling in the scrums were no fun :lol:

Who are the 6 Nations?

Same here. We used to get made to play Rugby but I was rubbish so I just used to dive around in the mud and hope I didn't get hurt too badly.

The six Nations are England, Ireland, Wales, France, Italy and Scotland. 

There was talk about USA or Canada joining a few years ago and having a base in Europe for the duration of the tournament. It was a good idea in principle but the 6N is largely about the supporters travelling to different cities and drinking lots of alcahol and I'm not sure the Yanks can really get on board with that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Same here. We used to get made to play Rugby but I was rubbish so I just used to dive around in the mud and hope I didn't get hurt too badly.

The six Nations are England, Ireland, Wales, France, Italy and Scotland. 

There was talk about USA or Canada joining a few years ago and having a base in Europe for the duration of the tournament. It was a good idea in principle but the 6N is largely about the supporters travelling to different cities and drinking lots of alcahol and I'm not sure the Yanks can really get on board with that.

Ah, thanks for filling me in. And yeah, haha, was exactly like that.

To bad that didnt work out for the 8 Nations. Should really just drop the Yanks and still have us join. We'd bring our local beers to share. Muricans, beer and contact sports... best case scenario it just inspires them to belly-flop off of their trucks onto card tables in the parking lot. 

The Guiness Six Nations 2019 YT page live streamed the launch I can see, so hopefully they stream the games live. I wanna check this out

18 minutes ago, soon said:

To bad that didnt work out for the 8 Nations. Should really just drop the Yanks and still have us join. We'd bring our local beers to share. Muricans, beer and contact sports... best case scenario it just inspires them to belly-flop off of their trucks onto card tables in the parking lot. 

The Guiness Six Nations 2019 YT page live streamed the launch I can see, so hopefully they stream the games live. I wanna check this out

Canada joining would be great. My local rugby team Newport used to have a Canadian player called Rod Snow and he is genuinely one of the most loved and respected former players we've ever had, and the club's been going for over 100 years. He was a Prop forward so wasnt the quickest but he left it all on the line every game and the fans loved him for it.  He still comes back for functions and events.

34 minutes ago, soon said:

17 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Canada joining would be great. My local rugby team Newport used to have a Canadian player called Rod Snow and he is genuinely one of the most loved and respected former players we've ever had, and the club's been going for over 100 years. He was a Prop forward so wasnt the quickest but he left it all on the line every game and the fans loved him for it.  He still comes back for functions and events.

Cool! We do produce a great beast here and there. Yet, Ive never heard of him here. Rod Snow should get his dues here too. 

A 100+ years old sports club sounds almost mythical to my sensibilities. And for it to have memory of its great players through out. By comparison my local SC (FC) is 3-4 years old. And young a tradition as it, as fans we mainly note players for being 'that guy who fakes the most contacts whose magically healed by a sprinkle of water.' As we lack the ability to note excellence.

10 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Shit yeah! These are mad men. Thanks for posting! Im starting to remember a bit more. Like that slide on the ball into whatever the end zone is called.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Cool! We do produce a great beast here and there. Yet, Ive never heard of him here. Rod Snow should get his dues here too. 

A 100+ years old sports club sounds almost mythical to my sensibilities. And for it to have memory of its great players through out. By comparison my local SC (FC) is 3-4 years old. And young a tradition as it, as fans we mainly note players for being 'that guy who fakes the most contacts whose magically healed by a sprinkle of water.' As we lack the ability to note excellence.

Shit yeah! These are mad men. Thanks for posting! Im starting to remember a bit more. Like that slide on the ball into whatever the end zone is called.

We fucking love the man.

• GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

That should be a good match but Wales will need to improve massively from the performance against Italy (although it was largely a second string team).

England are in one of their periods where they are so clinical and accurate and can blow you away. But it's always on a knife edge, if you can starve the England backs of decent ball they can fall apart discipline wise and can be beaten fairly regularly. 

Wales have plenty of weaknesses and ways we can balls a match up though but it's all to play for. I predict England win and will win the tournament but the Scots will grind out a victory to deny a grand slam.

England's first half was impeccable. I cannot really see them screwing up against the Scots though at Twickenham. Wales will have to be much better but they're in Cardiff. This is the final to all intents and purposes. Italy v France, final week, now has an interest out of all normal proportions, i.e., just how low have France sunk?

On 13/02/2019 at 6:54 AM, DieselDaisy said:

That is a massive impediment for England, losing Vunipola. 

Faletau out for Wales which is an equally big blow. He's been Wales most consistent player for years now but has been hampered by injuries over the last two years. It's always the same after a Lions tour. Our best players come back completely wrecked and are never the same again.

1 minute ago, spunko12345 said:

Faletau out for Wales which is an equally big blow. He's been Wales most consistent player for years now but has been hampered by injuries over the last two years. It's always the same after a Lions tour. Our best players come back completely wrecked and are never the same again.

I never got my head around the whole Lions concept. You take bitter rivals and plonk them together in a team. Never bothered watching it, albeit helped by it always being on Sky which I refuse to pay. 

42 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I never got my head around the whole Lions concept. You take bitter rivals and plonk them together in a team. Never bothered watching it, albeit helped by it always being on Sky which I refuse to pay. 

I don't think the Lions tours can survive much longer. I love them but it's gotten to be all about the three tests now and thats it. All squashed into a few weeks. It used to be a tour which lasted about three months, they used to go over on a ship (ok thats pushing it post 1960's)  and play the lions would rock up and play every backwater team in the country. Going around giving out free training kit etc. All that's gone now.

• Like 1

Just now, spunko12345 said:

I don't think the Lions tours can survive much longer. I love them but it's gotten to be all about the three tests now and thats it. All squashed into a few weeks. It used to be a tour which lasted about three months, they used to go over on a ship (ok thats pushing it post 1960's)  and play the lions would rock up and play every backwater team in the country. Going around giving out free training kit etc. All that's gone now.

Just like test cricket. When Australia used to come here they'd play all (17 in those days) major English counties, all first-class games so three+ days long and valid statistically. They'd also play Durham (minor county in those days) and Scotland at The Grange. The whole tour could last eight months. England used to play all the Australian states and play all of these grade cricket teams in towns such as Gordon. Now visiting teams are lucky to grab two domestic teams. More often two-three farces are cobbled together involving teams with weird names like ''Governor's All Eleven'' and a batting order consisting of fifteen batsmen!

• Like 1