The 6 Nations thread.

spunko12345

38 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Y'know, I've never once thought to ask that question, you're right, who are the 6 fucking nations?! :lol:  France and Italy look out of place. 

Haha! Yeah, thats what I thought about France and Italy too. Still think Canada would make a nice addition though! Especially since the French turn up their noses at the Quebecois. And the Quebecois are scrappy - would make for good and entertaining competition rock3 

17 minutes ago, soon said:

Haha! Yeah, thats what I thought about France and Italy too. Still think Canada would make a nice addition though! Especially since the French turn up their noses at the Quebecois. And the Quebecois are scrappy - would make for good and entertaining competition rock3 

If boxing is anything to go by there's some fuckin' hard Canadians out there, George Chuvalo for example. 

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

If boxing is anything to go by there's some fuckin' hard Canadians out there, George Chuvalo for example. 

That Canadian bruiser that Spunko showed me above is fucking excellence, isnt it?! The Quebecois are sometimes on the smaller scale, but they'll bite your face off if need be :lol:

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Y'know, I've never once thought to ask that question, you're right, who are the 6 fucking nations?! :lol:  France and Italy look out of place. 

In the order that I think they will finish this year, they are Wales, England, Ireland, France, Scotland, Italy. 

It was like watching Beckham's England by way of long ball tactics. Everytime they got the ball they just booted in the air. 

PS

The 6 Nations might not be sealed as Wales still have a huge game against Ireland whereas England only have the Italians and Scots for their two remaining fixtures. Heck, you might not rule out Ireland if England bollocks up the Scotland match and the Irish beat the Welsh. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

I'm a complete cricket tragic yet I really think this is the best sporting competition in the world. You can watch it on normal telly. The sport is superb and full of high drama and national passion. The people who run it don't seem like idiots (unlike the people who run cricket and football) and it arrives every year, late winter at just the time of year you need a bit cheering up and are pissed off a bit. It really is my favourite sports competition, the six nations. 

Also the fans are not wankers (as in footy).

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It was like watching Beckham's England by way of long ball tactics. Everytime they got the ball they just booted in the air. 

PS

The 6 Nations might not be sealed as Wales still have a huge game against Ireland whereas England only have the Italians and Scots for their two remaining fixtures. Heck, you might not rule out Ireland if England bollocks up the Scotland match and the Irish beat the Welsh. 

England have 2 all important bonus points aswell which Wales don't have. Italy is normally like fill your boots with bonus points time, score at will type thing but we didn't do it so unless we beat Ireland England should still nick it. Despite what I said in a previous post I really can't see anything but a comfortable England victory against the Scots and they will absolutely batter Italy senseless.

Just now, spunko12345 said:

England have 2 all important bonus points aswell which Wales don't have. Italy is normally like fill your boots with bonus points time, score at will type thing but we didn't do it so unless we beat Ireland England should still nick it. Despite what I said in a previous post I really can't see anything but a comfortable England victory against the Scots and they will absolutely batter Italy senseless.

Wales have the home advantage against the Irish though? That is the crucial match. 

Scotland seem shattered with all those injuries. 

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm a complete cricket tragic yet I really think this is the best sporting competition in the world. You can watch it on normal telly. The sport is superb and full of high drama and national passion. The people who run it don't seem like idiots (unlike the people who run cricket and football) and it arrives every year, late winter at just the time of year you need a bit cheering up and are pissed off a bit. It really is my favourite sports competition, the six nations. 

Also the fans are not wankers (as in footy).

Its great isnt it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

What are bonus points? 

12 minutes ago, soon said:

What are bonus points? 

Its to encourage attacking play from start to finish by both teams. The points are not points added to the actual match itself but on the overall league table which affects who wins the whole competition. 

You get a bonus point if you score 4 or more tries, and if your the losing side you get a bonus point if you score more than 2 tries and lose by fewer than 7 points.

You also get 3 bonus points if you win every match in the tournament to avoid the scenario of a team winning the Grand Slam but losing the Championship.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Its to encourage attacking play from start to finish by both teams. The points are not points added to the actual match itself but on the overall league table which affects who wins the whole competition. 

You get a bonus point if you score 4 or more tries, and if your the losing side you get a bonus point if you score more than 2 tries and lose by fewer than 7 points.

You also get 3 bonus points if you win every match in the tournament to avoid the scenario of a team winning the Grand Slam but losing the Championship.

Thanks. Thats a neat system. So you get a point for winning the match and possibly additional points? Are the bonus points weighted equal to the Win points?

6 minutes ago, soon said:

Thanks. Thats a neat system. So you get a point for winning the match and possibly additional points? Are the bonus points weighted equal to the Win points?

The most points are for winning the match, 4 points for a win. Bonus points are only 1 point, (and you have to really earn them, 4 tries is not easy). Which i think is really important, i wouldnt want bonus points becomming to much of a distraction.

They are on offer as an incentive, but the victory is the priority, by whatever means. They can be crucial though, in really tight tournaments like this one is shaping up to be.

• Like 1

I have to say though Wales lineout is fucking abysmal and has been for ages. A lineout awarded to Wales in our own half is becoming a huge disadvantage because we inevitably fuck it up and it hands possession straight over to the opposition. Ireland are so experienced and good they will definately target that.

Edited by spunko12345

11 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

That coach is hilarious 😂😂😂 David Brent. Those poor players 😂

Haha! Im losing some of it to the cultural divide, but there were definitely a number of times that I scratched my chin. :lol: Brent and he also reminded me of Metallicas therapist from Some Kind Of Monster sometimes :lol:

Thanks for the vid, was cool to get a better picture of the line out!

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Don't look at Wales if you want to see a line-out!

It's a good example of how not to do it. It pisses me off to no end and has actually been a problem all the way back to the Graham Henry era and that's what? 20 years ago now. I think BBC did a stat where Wales had around 60% success on their own lineout and every other side in the competition had over 90%

Surely it's something that can be tightened up so you get it right just through loads of repetition in training. It doesn't take any particular skill. Just decide where you are going to chuck it, make sure the big lump understands that that's where it will go and get the others to lift him up at the right time. And for fucksake make sure you lob it in a straight line. The only reasons I can think of why they mess it up so often is because either they are not practising the drill enough which is inexcusable or they are thick as shit.

Edited by spunko12345

• 2 weeks later...

It is certainly getting a lot of hype this Welsh team. I'm not so convinced. I'm not denying that they deserve to win the Slam/Six Nations but I'm just not sure about the hype. Better than the Welsh side of 2012-13 or your '70s sides? I'll leave that to people more expert than me.

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is certainly getting a lot of hype this Welsh team. I'm not so convinced. I'm not denying that they deserve to win the Slam/Six Nations but I'm just not sure about the hype. Better than the Welsh side of 2012-13 or your '70s sides? I'll leave that to people more expert than me.

This side is very well drilled and you can see that by how good they are in defence. They concede very few penalties which is massive because penalties gets you field position to launch attacks. Wales nullify that by just being very disciplined these days, its something England definately need to tighten up on.

Theyve also got the momentum going of going undefeated for 12 or so matches. Added to all that they have  few world class players like George North and Jonothan Davies.... However the negatives are that they will be worked out sooner or later. Scotland sort of did by flinging the ball out wide and attacking with pace but the problem was they didn't have the battering rams in midfield to soften us up before going out wide. You have to earn the right to go outside and Scotland didn't. Also Scotland are a pretty small and puny side physically by today's standards and there execution was abysmal so they were never gonna beat Wales.

England meanwhile are always cooking away and just need a clever coach like Graham Henry, Steve Hansen or dare I say it Warren Gatland to dominate over a long period because Eddie Jones for all his bluffing and bollocks that he talks is definately not the right guy. England are a mile away from winning the World Cup with him in charge but as the richest Union in the world they should be favourites every single time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spunko12345 said:

This side is very well drilled and you can see that by how good they are in defence. They concede very few penalties which is massive because penalties gets you field position to launch attacks. Wales nullify that by just being very disciplined these days, its something England definately need to tighten up on.

Theyve also got the momentum going of going undefeated for 12 or so matches. Added to all that they have  few world class players like George North and Jonothan Davies.... However the negatives are that they will be worked out sooner or later. Scotland sort of did by flinging the ball out wide and attacking with pace but the problem was they didn't have the battering rams in midfield to soften us up before going out wide. You have to earn the right to go outside and Scotland didn't. Also Scotland are a pretty small and puny side physically by today's standards and there execution was abysmal so they were never gonna beat Wales.

England meanwhile are always cooking away and just need a clever coach like Graham Henry, Steve Hansen or dare I say it Warren Gatland to dominate over a long period because Eddie Jones for all his bluffing and bollocks that he talks is definately not the right guy. England are a mile away from winning the World Cup with him in charge but as the richest Union in the world they should be favourites every single time.

Didn't have -enough- battering rams. Hamish Watson certainly tried enough on his own.