Will there ever be another all-time great rock album?

The Holographic Universe

I am shocked that Alabama Shakes Sound and Colour didnt get embraced in the way those classic albums are.

Its as if every time someone convinces themselves that Greta Van Fleet is amazing, a piece of the heart of rock n' roll dies.:smiley-confused2:

I think just the notion of consuming music by the album is rare these days and thats one issue preventing a great album. Hopefully it'll come back around. Digital is somewhat eroding the album experience but just last year in Canada an Instagram Poet, Rupi Kaur, released a best selling poetry book (physical copy). Poetry books are never bestsellers, let alone when the artists works are available for free on Instagram. Or Drake is very focused on an album experience in Digital. Someone will figure it out.

Another issue s talent. I have this suspicion that in the instability of the record label scene a lot of those who would be this generations best rockers are all staff writers in Nashville. Or how we as Guns fans lost Brain to video game scoring. Page and Jones met doing session work. So theres hope!

Edited by soon
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I cannot foresee another album such Led Zeppelin IV, Dark Side of the Moon, Back in Black, A Stones album(insert here), Metallica’s Black album, etc, etc. Does nay poster here believe such an album will exist again?

There won't be because rock will never be where it was before. Commercially, but especially culturally. And music in general has changed too much as well. With the rise of the internet, youtube, digital streaming etc, the significance of the album has decreased a lot. I really hate that, because I'm an album-fan, but that's the way it is. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I do not care if another rock album ever breaks through the mainstream like the Black Album or Back in Black or Led Zeppelin IV.  As long as there's good bands out there making solid music that I can enjoy and that they are able to play shows in Southern California on a regular basis at a reasonable ticket price, that's all I need.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lot of classics post 2000s also

Muse - Origin of symmetry
Steven Wilson - Hand.cannot.erase
Steven Wilson - Raven that refused to sing
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
GNR - Chinese democracy
Marillion - Marbles
Tool - Lateralus
Dream Theater - Six degrees of inner turbulence + + + 
David Bowie - Blackstar

Edited by betterman

I have a few more thoughts... One of the problems with modern rock is that it mostly sounds the same. Almost every song that has gotten airplay since about 2014 or so has had similar vocal melodies in the same key, same song structure, similar chord progression, and similar lyrical content.

The bands that have had the most success in the modern era have evolved their sound and built their fanbase with every release. Bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Halestorm, Ghost, Slipknot, Alter Bridge, Linkin Park, Foo Fighters. 

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Great rock albums still get released, but you're probably not gonna hear them on the radio.

To be fair you hardly heard em on the radio even in their heyday, in this country it took until 1967 til you even had rock music on the radio properly.  And even after that if anything was vaguely contentious it ended up getting the chop.  Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds was banned for fuckssake.

• Like 1

On 12-2-2019 at 10:31 AM, betterman said:

There is a lot of classics post 2000s also

Muse - Origin of symmetry
Steven Wilson - Hand.cannot.erase
Steven Wilson - Raven that refused to sing
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
GNR - Chinese democracy
Marillion - Marbles
Tool - Lateralus
Dream Theater - Six degrees of inner turbulence + + + 
David Bowie - Blackstar

None of those are classics. You're mistaking personal taste for public opinion. The common music fan wouldn't even be able to tell you which artists made those albums.

The only one from that list that MIGHT come close is Muse. 

Edited by username

I wonder what makes a classic.  Its getting to the point now where a lot of bands who I personally think are a load of shit and even at their peak were never considered like...the dogs bollocks, yet now, by virtue of longevity, are becoming so.  I think Post Pop Depression by Iggy Pop has all the hallmarks of a classic but I can't really claim it to be one, perhaps it will eventually, I don't know. 

And there'd degrees of it, isn't there?  In certain punk circles there are albums considered classics that your mainstream audiences won't have heard of.  I mean think of all the legendary bands out there, bands with stories so compelling that movies are made about em, like The Germs for example, your average person probably couldn't name a Germs song let alone an album yet to a certain demographic they are as classic as it gets.  Or a band like Bad Brains perhaps, Blank Generation by Richard Hell and The Voidoids is a classic to me, I wager it isn't for the vast majority though...or an album like Cut by The Slits. 

Perhaps I'm veering too far outside of the 'rock' parameters of the thread titles question with these examples though.  Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds first album, I think, will some day be considered a classic.  Sold well, critically acclaimed, loved by the fans...thats as good a shout as any.  Blue and Lonesome by The Stones is another, especially if its their last album, a bunch of nattily recording blues covers from their roots would be a wonderful curtain call.

Edited by Len Cnut

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 10:12 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

Off the top of my head, the only album from the 2000's that might be considered a classic is Stadium Arcadium.

100% agree.

On 2/15/2019 at 11:07 AM, Len Cnut said:

I wonder what makes a classic.  Its getting to the point now where a lot of bands who I personally think are a load of shit and even at their peak were never considered like...the dogs bollocks, yet now, by virtue of longevity, are becoming so.  I think Post Pop Depression by Iggy Pop has all the hallmarks of a classic but I can't really claim it to be one, perhaps it will eventually, I don't know. 

And there'd degrees of it, isn't there?  In certain punk circles there are albums considered classics that your mainstream audiences won't have heard of.  I mean think of all the legendary bands out there, bands with stories so compelling that movies are made about em, like The Germs for example, your average person probably couldn't name a Germs song let alone an album yet to a certain demographic they are as classic as it gets.  Or a band like Bad Brains perhaps, Blank Generation by Richard Hell and The Voidoids is a classic to me, I wager it isn't for the vast majority though...or an album like Cut by The Slits. 

Perhaps I'm veering too far outside of the 'rock' parameters of the thread titles question with these examples though.  Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds first album, I think, will some day be considered a classic.  Sold well, critically acclaimed, loved by the fans...thats as good a shout as any.  Blue and Lonesome by The Stones is another, especially if its their last album, a bunch of nattily recording blues covers from their roots would be a wonderful curtain call.

Classic is an album that transcends the genre.

Like it or not, but it's the decade of female pop singers. Classic albums are made by them nowadays. 

Lady Gaga - The Fame (2008)

Lady Gaga - Born this Way (2011) 

Ariana Grande - My Everything (2014)

Adele - 25 (2015)

Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman (2016)

Edited by Sosso

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

Like it or not, but it's the decade of female pop singers. Classic albums are made by them nowadays. 

Lady Gaga - The Fame (2008)

Lady Gaga - Born this Way (2011) 

Ariana Grande - My Everything (2014)

Adele - 25 (2015)

Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman (2016)

Thank God the fuckin' decades nearly over then cuz those are fuckin' shite :lol:

• Like 1