Will there ever be another all-time great rock album?

The Holographic Universe

14 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Exactly, it will (and has been) something else.  But that pure rock n roll, Raw Power is as far as you can take that, I’m not saying pure as some kind of compliment necessarily, I’m simply talking about the basic elements that made it.

How about Nirvana?

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

How about Nirvana?

I like Nirvana, I think they were brilliant...but were they doing anything that hadn't been done by, shit, even The Stooges?  Simple cyclical riffs, powerhouse drumming...and quite frankly I'd put them a peg or two beneath The Stooges.  And The Stooges started in 1969. 

On 24/03/2019 at 4:57 PM, Georgy Zhukov said:

Most "greatest albums" weren't labeled such until years later. Exile on Main St. is a good example. Critics didn't love it like they do now.

Raw Power is consistently called one of the most influential and important albums of all time now, as is Funhouse, months after its release you could find Raw Power in bargain bins in America for 25 cents.  They're that popular now that there's like a few different expanded versions.  In regards to Funhouse you can buy this boxset which basically includes like, every stick of tape that was ever recorded in the creation of that album, its like 8 CDs long and you can kinda see these songs gestate and come to what they were, its a wonderful thing if you're a crazed Stooges fan such as I.  They kinda played live when they recorded so that helped the process I guess. 

The cultural and commercial structure that facilitated the classic albums doesn’t exist anymore. 

The internet, the iPhone, Spotify, etc have commoditized the art of music.  Before, there were few distribution channels (radio, mtv, music retail locations), so the population at large was fed what record labels gave them (and they definitely made some great decisions along with bad ones we’ll never know)

Today, everything is so bespoke and that will only increase. If Guns put out a new album that had the great elements of Appetite and UYIs, it wouldn’t have much of an impact (imo)

It’s interesting the most successful tours over the last 5+ yrs are the ones that hit at the nostalgia of our youth. Teenagers today, I don’t think, will get that experience in 30 years. 

• Like 1