Once Upon a Time in Holllywood - New Film by Quentin Tarantino, July 2019

Ace Nova

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Not exactly a ''war film'' in the traditional sense however. 

The more heavily derivative his movies get the more they kind of take you (or me rather) out of the world of the film I find, thats what troubles me with Kill Bill, Inglorious and Django.

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The more heavily derivative his movies get the more they kind of take you (or me rather) out of the world of the film I find, thats what troubles me with Kill Bill, Inglorious and Django.

Since Jackie Brown and his golden era he has essentially been making spaghetti western/nerd culture referencing nerd films. Inglorious Bastards is a Spaghetti Western set during the Reich. 

34 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Since Jackie Brown and his golden era he has essentially been making spaghetti western/nerd culture referencing nerd films. Inglorious Bastards is a Spaghetti Western set during the Reich. 

I think I probably would like his films more if I wasn't such a nerdy little film tosser as well.  Cuz I wouldn't say any of em are un-entertaining...and thats basically a filmmakers job end of the day, to entertain.  Like the great John Huston said 'if they want bad films we can make those too'.  The fact that I sit there and watch em and see SOOOO much of like, something from here, something from there, its sort of my problem, not the films or most viewers.

Spaghetti westerns were good for what they were...lets face it, the Leone ones were brilliant, the rest have good bits and bobs about them but they aren't really, overall, something you can transplant into the 21st century and then be considered a truly great director.  He sort of strips them for parts.  He's the cinematic equivalent of a tinker.

Funnily enough there's a scene in this film where the star gets depressed cuz he has to go abroad and make Spaghetti westerns and he don't want to cuz he thinks they're a load of bollocks.  And the truth is a lot of these guys felt that way, even the great Clint, who took on the first one cuz it was a take on Yojimbo so he felt the story was there and also, worse comes to worst, he gets a free holiday to Almeria out of it :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I will be plenty disappointed if Kill Bill vol 3 is his next and last film. 

Truth be told, Kill Bill and especially, Kill Bill volume 1, are my least favorite Tarantino films and I really don't care to see the story of the bride, bookend his career.

I have a feeling that he looks at Kill Bill as a major achievement and the only one of his stories, that deserves a continuation. I disagree.

I can see it now, "Kill Bea."

Edited by appetite4illusions

1 hour ago, appetite4illusions said:

I will be plenty disappointed if Kill Bill vol 3 is his next and last film. 

Truth be told, Kill Bill and especially, Kill Bill volume 1, are my least favorite Tarantino films and I really don't care to see the story of the bride, bookend his career.

I have a feeling that he looks at Kill Bill as a major achievement and the only one of his stories, that deserves a continuation. I disagree.

I can see it now, "Kill Bea."

Kill Bill 1 is my least favorite, but I like Kill Bill 2. If they had been one film like originally inteded I'd think higher of it as a whole, but the way it was edited so that KB1 was all action and KB2 was all story was jarring. 

30 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Kill Bill 1 is my least favorite, but I like Kill Bill 2. If they had been one film like originally inteded I'd think higher of it as a whole, but the way it was edited so that KB1 was all action and KB2 was all story was jarring. 

I've seen it as one film at Quentin's theater out here in LA and it's really cool.

The cliffhanger at the end of "part 1" where Bill says "does she know the child is alive?" isn't there so as an audience, you find out when the bride finds out. That would have been super impactful upon first viewing.

But it would have meant less ticket sales due to less screenings per day so it got cut in to two. Oh well. I agree though, if you look at them separate, the second half is absolutely stronger.

• GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

I've seen it as one film at Quentin's theater out here in LA and it's really cool.

The cliffhanger at the end of "part 1" where Bill says "does she know the child is alive?" isn't there so as an audience, you find out when the bride finds out. That would have been super impactful upon first viewing.

But it would have meant less ticket sales due to less screenings per day so it got cut in to two. Oh well. I agree though, if you look at them separate, the second half is absolutely stronger.

That would've been great to have that surprise reveal on the kid. Any other differences between the single film cut and the two films?

19 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

That would've been great to have that surprise reveal on the kid. Any other differences between the single film cut and the two films?

Some little things. The crazy 88 scene is all in color. That is the second biggest change.

here's an article on it that details it:

https://www.slashfilm.com/kill-bill-bloody-affair-small-produce-big-results/

Edited by Stiff Competition
  • GNFNR 1

Read a theory on Reddit I really like that ties this one into the Tarantino universe; the gist of it is that Django is one of the in-universe movies and it starred Rick Dalton as Calvin Candie once his career was revitalized. Typically I don't buy into any of the "an actor in subsequent Tarantino movies is the same character"theories, but this one really works I think. After Rick's stint in Italy it's not hard to imagine he sort of steered into the swerve of playing villains in western films, and the narrator said he gained over 15 pounds in Italy - explaining Leo's slightly heavier than normal look in Django. In addition Django never really had a clear place in the Tarantino universe; it's one people were struggling to explain how it fit, and it's also one of his hyper-violent films, usually an indicator that it's a film within his universe (Death Proof and Kill Bill). 

• 2 weeks later...

It seemed to me to be a film about making films in the golden age of film making set in the biggest film making town. While a lot of movies were showing in cinemas. 

It was like going to see a band and instead of them playing the 3 songs you like, they shove them together in a shit medley. 

It woulda been cool if there was a twist at the end and the murders had been done by Dicaprios character after he walked up the driveway at the end and was implied they were then pinned on the Manson family. 

Soundtrack was good at points... 

I just watched this and read through the thread so I have something to add :D 

Bruce Lee looked exactly how I imagined he'd look. If it was a biopic I'd be annoyed by him but it's a Tarantino movie, you know what was he going for unless you're an idiot. Also it was a memory, that car got destroyed after one hit... Basically what I want to say it could've shown anything and Bruce Lee shouldn't be judged by that. 

The other thing, Manson. Well, he's not in the movie that much but his influence is really big. The whole ranch scene was terrifying because of his name. If it wasn't Manson's ranch there would be 0 tension.

Acting was superb. Literally everyone, from the noname hippie actors to the all A listers. Fighting scenes were really funny. I loved over the top violence that got the hippie bunch in the end. Music was amazing, it was shot beautifully, it was colorful, full of life. Immersion was amazing, I'd watch the big 3 just living their lives for hours. I hope there're be a longer cut.

But the thing I loved the most BY FAR was just the tittle and the ending. Everyone got a happy ending, Cliff saved lives and his name after he shot his wife, Rick gets an opportunity to be a star again, hippies are dead, Sharon Tate is all well and happy.... Then the screen pops up "ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD" - oh yeah, it was all a fairy tale and those people didn't end up like that. It really brought me back down after the adrenaline rush of the last part.

I'd rank this just under the top tier of Inglorious Bastards, Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. I'll watch it again when it gets released on BR and DVD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Watched it recently. Cool movie. Far from his best imo but enjoyable. One issue I have with Tarantino as a director is why must he be so pretentious with his work? is the plan to still only make 10 movies? this is his ninth. If he's still gonna go with that then he's a douche and it will be a decision that was made out of ego, nothing more.

13 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Watched it recently. Cool movie. Far from his best imo but enjoyable. One issue I have with Tarantino as a director is why must he be so pretentious with his work? is the plan to still only make 10 movies? this is his ninth. If he's still gonna go with that then he's a douche and it will be a decision that was made out of ego, nothing more.

Do you mean his films are pretentious or he as a person, or both?  I think it's pretty much his trademark. 

37 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am watching it now and pondering on turning it off mid-way through it is that boring. Utter shite. Unless it picks up in the second half, his worst film yet.

If I hadn't seen it in the theaters, I would've turned it off half way through. 

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

If I hadn't seen it in the theaters, I would've turned it off half way through. 

Didn't make it sadly!! Knocked it off with 30 mins to go, just as they come back from Rome. This film is utterly appalling, meandering, lacking any sense of story, purpose, rhythm, stuffed with aimless scenes and cameos. The Bruce Lee bit was extra offensive to a Lee aficionado like me. I hate this movie with a passion.

It makes Death Proof look like Citizen Kane

PS

Did watch the final third for the sake of completion and it doesn't get any better.

Edited by DieselDaisy