Jump to content
Kasanova King

Once Upon a Time in Holllywood - New Film by Quentin Tarantino, July 2019

Recommended Posts

Based on the Manson Murders right?  Interesting choice of subject.  I heard they got some chinese lad playing Bruce Lee in there, as he was a friend of Jay Sebring and Sharon Tate.  Jay Sebring did Jim Morrison and Steve McQueens hair.  The rumours are any number of other famous people were meant to be at Sharons house that night but for whatever reason didn't make it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering why most of his films since Kill Bill have not been what they should and I think I know why that is: Tarantino really personified the 90's.

When they were over, his films became more imaginative, more fantastical, but not as good.

It's no coincidence that his first three films were his best films and they were all about modern-day 90's Los Angeles. Tarantino understood that corner of the world in the same way Scorsese understood 1970's Manhattan.

 

So it's interesting to me that he would go back to LA as a central character in his film. It really is more of his sandbox than Hong Kong or the French countryside. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tarantino just makes films about films, thats why they feel so insubstantial.  Oliver Stone said something similar about him back in the day.  When you're a big fuckin' film geek as I am you see like...the range of the shit he refers to, it really is a fuckin' cut and paste collage of other shit.  It amounts to this, when I wanna see Kung Fu I stick a Shaw Bros film on, not Kill Bill, when I wanna watch The Dirty Dozen I stick the Dirty Dozen on, not Inglorious Bastards, when I wanna watch blaxploitation even, and Jackie Brown is actually a good film, I fuckin' stick Three the Hard Way, The Mack or Superfly on.  Dogs is fuckin' brilliant because, despite also being a Ringo Lam rip off, it takes certain set pieces but the idea of all these guys in that one enclosed place with a real time clock is just a brilliant one in terms of on screen tension.  I think Death Proof was MASSIVELY underrated and a real return to form.  His dialogue eventually gets problematic too...because whether its a bloke or a bird they all talk like Tarantino :lol:

They're alright, they're not shit, they're enjoyable and I'll always love on thing about Tarantino in that, in my formative years, he was the person that made me realise that filmmakers didn't fall from the sky, you can just be someone who REALLY loves film and get it done, that was invaluable for me so he'll always hold a unique position in my affections.  I agree with you @appetite4illusions that it'll be interesting to see him tackling LA again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to see it. Love Quentin's movies. Never disappoints and I love how he tells a story.

Love how he begins the movie and then double backs and then the real action begins. lol

I can't wait for this one with Leo and Brad. going to be epic! lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to it.  Margot Robbie looks stunning as Sharon Tate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JONEZY said:

Looking forward to it.  Margot Robbie looks stunning as Sharon Tate.

Wow so this movie might be based on some truth? Cool. So sad about the murder of Sharon and her unborn baby.

So this is about Charles Manson and his crazy followers? I think I read that. I've watched so many shows about Manson and his crew and it annoys me every time. I can't believe how many stupid girls followed him and his crazy ideas. I guess drugs and sex made them easy targets.

anyway, with Quentin directing this movie, you know it will be awesome!

Loved The Hateful Eight so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Wow so this movie might be based on some truth? Cool. So sad about the murder of Sharon and her unborn baby.

So this is about Charles Manson and his crazy followers? I think I read that. I've watched so many shows about Manson and his crew and it annoys me every time. I can't believe how many stupid girls followed him and his crazy ideas. I guess drugs and sex made them easy targets.

anyway, with Quentin directing this movie, you know it will be awesome!

Loved The Hateful Eight so much.

Bruce Lee is in it too.  He was a friend of Tate and Polanski.  Steve McQueen probably is too, if Bruce makes it.  A lot of famous people were supposed to be there that night but took a rain check for whatever reason.  

Now I think about it that would make a great Tarantino set piece, kinda like Jackie Brown where he shows the same scene from different perspectives.  

If Bruce had been there the Manson Family would’ve been fishing that .22 revolver out of Tex Watsons arse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've enjoyed almost every Tarantino film. Wasn't a fan of 'The Hateful Eight', but this sounds promising.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will agree with SugarRayFemme’s take on Death Proof, if only for this scene and for introducing me to this song 🤣❤️

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Angelica said:

Will agree with SugarRayFemme’s take on Death Proof, if only for this scene and for introducing me to this song 🤣❤️

 

BTW, the name of the band is Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, MICK and Titch, as opposed to Mitch and Titch as they say in the film.  Had you not heard of em before, they did The Legend of Xanadu.  How the fuck can you be into them and then slag me off for listening to Hermans Hermits? :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

BTW, the name of the band is Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, MICK and Titch, as opposed to Mitch and Titch as they say in the film.  Had you not heard of em before, they did The Legend of Xanadu.  How the fuck can you be into them and then slag me off for listening to Hermans Hermits? :lol:

🤣🤣🤣 if Legend Of Xanadu does not involve Olivia Newton John, I do not know what it is. The only HH song I know is Mrs Brown and it’s shit! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

if Legend Of Xanadu does not involve Olivia Newton John, I do not know what it is

You ain't missing much to be fair :lol:  For some further utterly useless pop culture trivia Dave Dee was a police officer at the time of Eddie Cochrans death and was one of the first people on the scene when the crash happened.  Apparently he recovered Eddies guitar from the scene and returned it to his family.

Quote

The only HH song I know is Mrs Brown and it’s shit! 

Fuck you, no its not, its cute, you're just tired and cynical :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 5:48 PM, F*ck Fear said:

I've enjoyed almost every Tarantino film. Wasn't a fan of 'The Hateful Eight', but this sounds promising.

Same here. The Hateful Eight just didn't click with me but I love all the rest.

I've always been very interested in the Tate / La Bianca topic so I'm very much looking forward to this one. Can't wait for a trailer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Same here. The Hateful Eight just didn't click with me but I love all the rest.

I've always been very interested in the Tate / La Bianca topic so I'm very much looking forward to this one. Can't wait for a trailer.

I love films like Hateful Eight, limited setting and just purely driven by force of film craft and acting performances.  I really like stagey things too and Hateful Eight is very stagey.  Some of the best movies are like that, adapted plays like Streetcar or Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. 

  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I love films like Hateful Eight, limited setting and just purely driven by force of film craft and acting performances.  I really like stagey things too and Hateful Eight is very stagey.  Some of the best movies are like that, adapted plays like Streetcar or Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. 

Dial M for Murder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Dial M for Murder

Brilliant example.  Rope too.  Even Wrong Man, which doesn't even really qualify, it has multiple locations but a lot of the key work and the claustrophobia of it gives it a stagey feel at times.  Hitchcock was just fucking brilliant though, I really think he's about as good a shout as possible for the greatest filmmaker of all time, if you really look at the depth and the quality of his work its astounding.  And the fact that this bloke went from the silent era all the way through all the seismic changes that cinema went through right up until the 70s and his films were sort of at the forefront, they never looked out of place or like the work of an old timer.  And it just ticks so many boxes, its supremely entertaining, its the highest quality in terms of cinematic construct, its artistically substantial, like Cahiers Du Cinema could write at length about its merits whilst at the same time the thing being like...y'know, not remote from the ordinary cinema-goer, its pure entertainment.  I am just in awe of Alfred Hitchcock, he is the epitomy of a great filmmaker.  The fuckin' precision, the control, the attention to detail, the extensive story-boarding, he literally knew the entire film shot for shot before kick off, its just astounding.  The word visionary is thrown about a lot but thats sort of the definition of it, this guy and his vision for cinema. 

You get a lot of these great filmmakers (and they are great) whoose films like...only really click if you're a film freak or a film student but Hitchcock is like...I been having my little niece watch Hitchcock movies since before she hit her teenage years and they entertain her as much as they entertain someone like Goddard, I could praise Hitchcock all day and I'd still be selling him short. 

That thing though, the thing of striking the balance between artistically substantial and supremely entertaining, that apotheosis is like...the highest estate of cinema, to me. 

Edited by Len Cnut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s funny that the guy playing Manson in this film is the same guy who recently played him in the netflix series Mindhunter.

Edited by rocknroll41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Brilliant example.  Rope too.  Even Wrong Man, which doesn't even really qualify, it has multiple locations but a lot of the key work and the claustrophobia of it gives it a stagey feel at times.  Hitchcock was just fucking brilliant though, I really think he's about as good a shout as possible for the greatest filmmaker of all time, if you really look at the depth and the quality of his work its astounding.  And the fact that this bloke went from the silent era all the way through all the seismic changes that cinema went through right up until the 70s and his films were sort of at the forefront, they never looked out of place or like the work of an old timer.  And it just ticks so many boxes, its supremely entertaining, its the highest quality in terms of cinematic construct, its artistically substantial, like Cahiers Du Cinema could write at length about its merits whilst at the same time the thing being like...y'know, not remote from the ordinary cinema-goer, its pure entertainment.  I am just in awe of Alfred Hitchcock, he is the epitomy of a great filmmaker.  The fuckin' precision, the control, the attention to detail, the extensive story-boarding, he literally knew the entire film shot for shot before kick off, its just astounding.  The word visionary is thrown about a lot but thats sort of the definition of it, this guy and his vision for cinema. 

You get a lot of these great filmmakers (and they are great) whoose films like...only really click if you're a film freak or a film student but Hitchcock is like...I been having my little niece watch Hitchcock movies since before she hit her teenage years and they entertain her as much as they entertain someone like Goddard, I could praise Hitchcock all day and I'd still be selling him short. 

That thing though, the thing of striking the balance between artistically substantial and supremely entertaining, that apotheosis is like...the highest estate of cinema, to me. 

The reason I chose Dial M is it was literally a filmed version of the play. Hitchcock was in a bit of a jam at the time and he said to Truffaut that when that happens simply ''take a great play and film it - don't expand it''. John Williams and Anthony Dawson actually resumed their roles from Knott's play. It is one of Hitch's most economical films. One of his fixed location films, the other being Rear Window and Rope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks really, really good. 

Absolutely loved Hateful Eight so hoping Tarantino is working with some momentum. 

  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great, can't wait for this one. There hasn't been a Tarantino film yet that I don't love, so of course my expectations are high. I'm glad he's stepping away from western films though, seeing as it's been a decade since we had a Tarantino film in another genre (And even then, there were some western influences present in Inglorious Basterds).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m excited because of the cast and Tarantino, but admittedly that trailer did nothing for me.

I left the trailer thinking “So... what’s the plot?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

I’m excited because of the cast and Tarantino, but admittedly that trailer did nothing for me.

I left the trailer thinking “So... what’s the plot?”

Margot Robbie plays Sharon Tate, apparently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×