4tus - Performing with Headtronics and GNR album news.

13 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

it is entirely possible the guitar player in gnr is better informed than a forum user

I thought "the guitar player" on this band was slash

I thought the other guy was an "on-salary" musician presented by Axl Rose as a "member of the band"

I am a bit afraid of calling said guy as "the guitar player in gnr" because Axl likes to change his mind about who is and who is not a member of his band

remember this and then the live era line notes thing?

see, it's complicated

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Nothing may happen, but I'd guess that he would only talk about about plans like this if he was directly told that was the plan. Judging by how shy he is with details through the years, I'd also say all the other times he teased a record, he did so because he was told it was imminent.... Now that's my guess, and as good as yours, so do and say what you want with it.

yes, you are correct, that's what on-salary people do, they only speak when they are told by their bosses

11 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

I thought "the guitar player" on this band was slash

I thought the other guy was an "on-salary" musician presented by Axl Rose as a "member of the band"

I am a bit afraid of calling said guy as "the guitar player in gnr" because Axl likes to change his mind about who is and who is not a member of his band

remember this and then the live era line notes thing?

see, it's complicated

When he's been playing with GNR, near on 18yrs it is safe to say he's THE guitar player. What happens down the road, who knows! for now he definitely is, whether he's on salary or not.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

yes, you are correct, that's what on-salary people do, they only speak when they are told by their bosses

You have a real issue with how bands work. Well there's so many bands who have musicians on salary. This is how the industry works! 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

So do you only speak when your boss tells you to?. 

Are you different than the rest us, by not receiving payment for work you do, thus making you an employee, receiving a wage or salary? 

Take it easy guys, you are sometimes taking it too far overthinking members of the band.

Tell you what, Richard Fortus is rightnow probably sitting in a jacuzzi filled with solution treating his hemorrhoid as prescribed by his doctor and his relations with the band is the last thing he's concerned about...

chill my friends, and enjoy life.

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Haha 1

Quite chill. Just don't understand the midset of what the posters issues are.

Just like us in the real world each band member has house payments of some sort to pay, bills to pay and families to support.

It would be naive  for all individuals involved and the band to sign an agreement on the back of a napkin. 

It's s not 1986 any more. The world and the people involved have progressed in life even though some fans have not and are still stuck in the past believing Guns N Roses as a band is all about being mates, hanging out and not receiving payment for their time and work. 

Edited by kiwiguns

46 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

So do you only speak when your boss tells you to?. 

Are you different than the rest us, by not receiving payment for work you do, thus making you an employee, receiving a wage or salary? 

I am pretty sure you missed my point entirely.

people that are on salary and have no say on the business they work for usually only speak about where said business go and etc when they received a green light from their bosses

have you ever seen an on salary person from whatever company talking on the behalf of their company without the blessing of their bosses?

21 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I don’t know how all the business stuff works, but isn’t Looney Tunes a Warner Bros thing? Not Universal?

either way it doesn’t matter cause the add box set came out last year so that alone is proof that axl’s relationship with universal is better now than it was during the immediate post-CD years.

It's all under the umbrella that is Universal. Has been for 10 years or so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

You have a real issue with how bands work. Well there's so many bands who have musicians on salary. This is how the industry works! 

there is nothing wrong with having people on salary

that's how the industry works, I am very well aware of that

what is silly and pathetic is to have someone that is clearly an employee on salary with zero say on the band/brand/business being presented as a "member"

you are free to believe in that if you like

don't ask me to do the same

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

When he's been playing with GNR, near on 18yrs it is safe to say he's THE guitar player. What happens down the road, who knows! for now he definitely is, whether he's on salary or not.

you are free to believe that

don't ask me to buy on that crap though

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Amazing opinion based on nothing 👍

Fortunately, you really have no clue what's going on, and are just wildly speculating... In the last few years things In the gnr world have changed, it is entirely possible the guitar player in gnr is better informed than a forum user. 

Nothing may happen, but I'd guess that he would only talk about about plans like this if he was directly told that was the plan. Judging by how shy he is with details through the years, I'd also say all the other times he teased a record, he did so because he was told it was imminent.... Now that's my guess, and as good as yours, so do and say what you want with it.

I'm pretty sure there are multiple documented cases of TB not giving the salaried musicians info on what's next/when. Didn't Bumblefoot (and Stinson?) both say at different points - "yeah I haven't heard from management, no idea what's going on."

Given how we've seen TB operate, it does not surprise me that the musicians we consider to be "in the band" are treated as pawns - remember how poorly Bumblefoot was treated? Axl, Slash, and Duff are the partners in GNR (I'm assuming that is, if Slash and Duff settled for less than that, they got ripped off) - I doubt anyone else is a partner. And no, for a rock band it is not common to have majority salaried and only a few partners. For nostalgia acts, it is more common, but for true bands, salaried hires are reserved for extraneous keyboard sections, session musicians, backup singers, etc.. GNR doesn't operate as a rock artist, they operate as a business.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

I'm pretty sure there are multiple documented cases of TB not giving the salaried musicians info on what's next/when. Didn't Bumblefoot (and Stinson?) both say at different points - "yeah I haven't heard from management, no idea what's going on."

Given how we've seen TB operate, it does not surprise me that the musicians we consider to be "in the band" are treated as pawns - remember how poorly Bumblefoot was treated? Axl, Slash, and Duff are the partners in GNR (I'm assuming that is, if Slash and Duff settled for less than that, they got ripped off) - I doubt anyone else is a partner. And no, for a rock band it is not common to have majority salaried and only a few partners. For nostalgia acts, it is more common, but for true bands, salaried hires are reserved for extraneous keyboard sections, session musicians, backup singers, etc.. GNR doesn't operate as a rock artist, they operate as a business.

TB are not, and have never been, the enemy. And the band have always operated as a family.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

And no, for a rock band it is not common to have majority salaried and only a few partners. For nostalgia acts, it is more common, but for true bands, salaried hires are reserved for extraneous keyboard sections, session musicians, backup singers, etc.. GNR doesn't operate as a rock artist, they operate as a business.

There have been some cases. AC/DC, for example, where only the Young brothers were always the only partners (and now it's only Angus) and all the rest were/are employees. 

I think Van Halen too - I don't know much about them, but they're called "Van Halen" anyway.

And in the Stones, Mick Taylor was a salaried employee, and so has been Ron Wood, I guess.

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

There have been some cases. AC/DC, for example, where only the Young brothers were always the only partners (and now it's only Angus) and all the rest were/are employees. 

I think Van Halen too - I don't know much about them, but they're called "Van Halen" anyway.

And in the Stones, Mick Taylor was a salaried employee, and so has been Ron Wood, I guess.

Good examples, I believe Pink Floyd at one point had Nick Mason as a salaried employee, or the keyboard player, don't remember. Not sure about VH, I assumed the original 4 were partners until the lineup dissolved.

But while there are examples, I still posit it is a minority of rock artists that relegate contributing members to salaried status. For AC/DC, I'm thinking that has to do with who writes the music/songs?  

• Like 1