4tus - Performing with Headtronics and GNR album news.

10 minutes ago, OmarBradley said:

For AC/DC, I'm thinking that has to do with who writes the music/songs?  

Both Bon and Brian (up to a point) had contributed in the songwriting. It probably has to do with who founded the band and with it always being seen by the Youngs as their family business.

Edited by Blackstar

Axl's dual definition of a Guns N' Roses member in 1992:

-------

AXL: [...]  Gilby has a way of understanding and dealing with situations that makes the whole trip more tolerable. His insights from being on the outside of GN'R helps us. He has his opinions of what's going on with us, and it helps us get a different perspective, ' cause Slash, Duff and myself have been in GN'R for so long and are so close to it that sometimes we don't see things like other people would. Every now and then he'll say something to me, and I'll go, "Wow, I didn't see it that way." He's been putting himself through his own rock-and-roll education with his other groups for years. Now he's a part of Guns N' Roses.

DEL: Is he a "member" of Guns N' Roses?

AXL: This "member" thing is quite interesting, I read in an interview where Matt [Sorum, drummer] said that if he didn't get made a member, he wasn't going to be in Guns N' Roses. The truth of the matter is, Matt's a member of GN'R, but it doesn't really mean anything. It's kind of like a clubhouse/gang thing. We're all members of this gang. What it boils down to is, whose yard is the tree house in? Matt's a member of GN'R, and his opinions are taken into consideration. As far as that's concerned, Gilby is a member too, Dizzy is a member of the band. With all the background singers, horn players, keyboardists - we look at it like we're all Guns N' Roses. But the bottom line is, the business is basically run by Slash and myself. Then we run whatever it is we're discussing by Duff and see if he's cool with it. Guns N' Roses is basically Slash, Duff, Doug Goldstein and myself, but there's a lot of other people involved that are a part of our lives and a part of our family.

DEL: Do you think Matt's gonna be pissed when he reads this?

AXL: It would be nice if he wasn't. I love everybody in this band. It's kicking ass and feels really warm and really cool onstage. At this point it's the 12 of us that get onstage and f?!king go all out.

http://www.a-4-d.com/t545-1992-09-10-11-dd-interview-with-axl

-------

I guess that's how he has always seen it since then.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

There have been some cases. AC/DC, for example, where only the Young brothers were always the only partners (and now it's only Angus) and all the rest were/are employees. 

I think Van Halen too - I don't know much about them, but they're called "Van Halen" anyway.

And in the Stones, Mick Taylor was a salaried employee, and so has been Ron Wood, I guess.

When Wyman left circa 1990 Ron Wood was essentially given Wyman's stake in the band, finally becoming ''a full time'' Stone.

Just because the band's recorded a few bits and pieces doesn't mean Axl was there as well. It all means nothing and I'm surprised how people believe it does after he's said the same thing so many times before when it meant nothing as well.

11 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

We've PM'ed it's fine. It's a bit of banter, UK style. And, of course, everyone's is entitled to their opinions because without them forums wouldn't exist. 

All I would add is that there has been more positivity, productivity and punctuality since TB took over. I know that hasn't translated into any new material, yet, but it's sad that people are so negative about them. Again, just an opinion

I agree TB have done a good job over all. 

They keep Axl the most happiest we have seen him. Some of their ideas may not have hit the mark such as air gnr etc but at least they are trying new things. 

They have also kept the tour going for 2+ years with the core 3 without any major incidents. Something none of the past management could or would of done.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 2

On 09/02/2019 at 9:17 AM, lame ass security said:

Have to disagree with you, mate. Guns is just too lucrative to walk away from now.  He can satisfy himself creatively through SMKC.

At the moment yes, but in the future when Axl is still doing NITL tour version 2,3,4... with no new music ever and the crowds are dwindling to the point where SMKC are pulling bigger ones, I reckon Slash might just say "fuck it, I'm done" and just be satisfied with his paltry $20 million in the bank and never-ending royalties from GnR songwriting credits. I honestly think Slash is one of the rare artists that actually cares about outputting new music to treat his fans, and give him reason to keep touring of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

I wondered if hair plugs would exist. There were photos on the net how slash is balding in parts.

Ha! No I meant how Slash needs to keep working to pay off Perla and suggested that she might have a decent plastic surgery requirement going on.  Slash seems to love what he is doing, which I believe motivates him just as much as the money. That passion of his is evident on stage. But he is a riff & lead monster that needs to get it out of his system creatively, and that's good for us! Axl on the other hand seems more capable, and content, to bottle it all up inside. Bad for us...

• Like 2

On 2/10/2019 at 3:17 AM, Mysteron said:

We've PM'ed it's fine. It's a bit of banter, UK style. And, of course, everyone's is entitled to their opinions because without them forums wouldn't exist. 

All I would add is that there has been more positivity, productivity and punctuality since TB took over. I know that hasn't translated into any new material, yet, but it's sad that people are so negative about them. Again, just an opinion

On 2/10/2019 at 3:29 AM, vloors said:

They keep Axl the most happiest we have seen him. Some of their ideas may not have hit the mark such as air gnr etc but at least they are trying new things. 

They have also kept the tour going for 2+ years with the core 3 without any major incidents. Something none of the past management could or would of done.

People would be less negative about them if their manager wasn't so rude to fans, online and otherwise.

• Like 3

On 2/10/2019 at 9:29 PM, vloors said:

I dont know whether TB deserves the credit they should get for making NITL a success. Fair enough they have looked after his wellbeing over the years and probably saved him more times than not with his mental health, but should we thank them for the band and axl onstage on time during NITL?.

I think this is more than due to the fine print in the NITL contract between the band and live nation. So if we believe axl coming on stage on time we can attribute this to,

1. Axl growing up during 2014, or in his words becoming "woke" and coming to the realisation its time to bury the hatchet and make peace with Slash.

2. Axl coming to the realisation that guns could be more financially better if he came onstage on time every night to sell more tickets

3. The fine print in the Live Nation contract.

I believe point 3, and think LN had minimal trust with TB in managing the band in the most profitable tours in the bands history. If they did have the trust in TB's ability to pull this tour off  then i doubt LN would have one of their Tour Managers to be part of the bands touring and road crew. LN were protecting their interests in having some one they trust have eyes and ears on the ground to make sure the whole operation was running smoothly. Especially with the amount of money LN would have been pouring into promoting and help finance the tour its only business that they protect their own Business interests. If Live Nation had no financial interest in this tour and no involvement and we would be letting TB manage the band to their own devices, Fernando would still be coaxing axl out of his dressing room at 11pm to get onstage and slash would be thinking " WTF did i signup to".

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I dont know whether TB deserves the credit they should get for making NITL a success.

NO. It is Axl+Slash+Duff making NITL a success.

Fair enough they have looked after his wellbeing over the years and probably saved him more times than not with his mental health.

Beta deserves credit for this part. And by Beta I mean Beta, not her kids or grandchildren and so on.

I believe point 3, and think LN had minimal trust with TB in managing the band in the most profitable tours in the bands history. If they did have the trust in TB's ability to pull this tour off  then i doubt LN would have one of their Tour Managers to be part of the bands touring and road crew.

Correct. Not only LN but anyone with half a brain wouldn't. Would you trust Fernando to get your bicycle repaired for you? honestly think about it...

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Like 1

On 10/02/2019 at 2:29 PM, vloors said:

They keep Axl the most happiest we have seen him.

Seriously dude?

Some of their ideas may not have hit the mark such as air gnr etc but at least they are trying new things.

Is it Guns N' Fucking Roses or Kindergarten? shall we be happy with creativity progress and evolution of Fernando's capabilities? such as how creative he was to pay a homeless guy (drug dealer?) monitoring and reporting fan-made content from the internet?

No incident can happen to three 55+ men playing nostalgic music together even without management. except maybe breaking a leg and falling here and there.

On contrary NO ONE could put up with bunch of immature, always-on-drugs, explosive behaviour, ultimate rebelness of GNR circa 87-93.

If these guys were in their 20s and someone like Fernando would appear on their way of a hotel corridor believe me they would most probably throw him into the Chute for fun!

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 5:29 AM, vloors said:

NITL was well marketed and went off without a hitch (aside from Axl's declining vocals)

However, the reunion tour was not the brainchild of the Lebeis family. They did not "keep" the tour going. Plenty of professional management would have kept the tour going just fine. It was one of the most anticipated rock shows of all time, and one of the biggest. A LOT of people put the show together and managed it. Slash and Duff alone have their own teams of people. A tour at this level almost isn't even a band. Its a massive, contracted show with the members essentially being live actors/performers. They aren't all sitting around and hanging out as a band. None of these arena and stadium acts really are, they all become their own mini corporations consisting of smaller companies and their own teams (like Slash and Duff and their own people). As said above, NITL was basically an agreement between the group performing as Guns N' Roses with an agreement with Livenation. It may not be "rock n roll", but I'm still glad it happened. ALL touring arena and stadium bands essentially function the same way. These bands have similar teams that work with multiple tours. You think its just a coincidance so many bands even have the same merchandise selections? (show specific lithographs, same amount of shirts and hoodies, an overpriced jacket or two, tour program, cups, etc). None of these bands have an Alan Niven or Peter Grant who really does the heavy lifting. They don't need them, anymore.

I hope Axl is at peace with himself. He seemed relatively happy on stage when I saw NITL, but he barely has a personality live now. That is ok, he isn't obligated to do anything except perform at a show, but he barely talks to the crowd. We all know a real interview is out of the question. We have gotten two live discussions with him since NITL, both of which were sort of weird.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

People would be less negative about them if their manager wasn't so rude to fans, online and otherwise.

Och, it's wrong to tell people how to feel, and if that's how some people feel that's fine. All I was saying, mainly echoing what others have said, is that the tour went well and all parties deserve credit for that. 

18 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

i couldn't care about managers being "rude"

whoever manages this can be as rude as they like if they actually get to release never-heard uncirculated guns n' roses music instead of a thousand dollars toy box

whoever manages this can be as rude as they like if they actually get to put together an actual guns n roses reunion tour instead of this fake nonsense

whoever manages this can be as rude as they like if they actually find a way to get axl in a room with izzy and slash (and hopefully steven and duff) to write, record and release guns n roses music

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

A tour at this level almost isn't even a band. Its a massive, contracted show with the members essentially being live actors/performers.

interesting observation

None of these bands have an Alan Niven or Peter Grant who really does the heavy lifting. They don't need them, anymore.

they certainly don't need someone like niven to do a tour like this

they certainly could use someone like niven -- that knows and understand what a rock n roll band is supposed to be -- to do a proper rock n roll tour

they could do a very different tour -- a proper rock n roll tour, with some artistic relevance, new songs, and even some actual reunion with izzy and steven etc etc etc -- in the very same arenas and making the same amount of money (if not more) it they had someone like niven to guide them

but this band has been operating under axl's "vision" since 1992 and that's what we get from the man with a "vision"

they are operating like every other shitty corporate bullshit rock band

for GNR, this is way below the potential

it's such a fucking waste

He seemed relatively happy on stage when I saw NITL, but he barely has a personality live now.

i wonder if axl is going through some ozzyfication process or something like that

too much to drink for too many years?

too much medication?

is that all he can give at this point or is he keeping it to himself for whatever other reason?

8 hours ago, default_ said:

I dont think TB should have credits for the tour itself, isnt it promoters business? I forgot which company is running NITL, Ticketmaster? Livenation?

TB is more like Axls personal assistants.

i tend to agree with that

5 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i couldn't care about managers being "rude"

whoever manages this can be as rude as they like if they actually get to release never-heard uncirculated guns n' roses music instead of a thousand dollars toy box

whoever manages this can be as rude as they like if they actually get to put together an actual guns n roses reunion tour instead of this fake nonsense

whoever manages this can be as rude as they like if they actually find a way to get axl in a room with izzy and slash (and hopefully steven and duff) to write, record and release guns n roses music

Why don't you go tell them that then, not that anyone asked you anyway.