Jump to content
Original

Flashback: Guns N’ Roses Play ‘Don’t Cry’ at the Tokyo Dome in 1992

Recommended Posts

People say '87 or '88 or '91 were the best eras of the band. No. Nothing can touch those shows from 199. 

  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Illusion era was untouchable if any era could be. Prior to 1988/89 or 1990 they sounded a little rough around the edges live to me. The more fleshed out and rehearsed setlists certainly helped along with Matt's precision style drumming. I actually prefer the current lineup to the Illusion era because Slash isn't whacked out more often than not on dope. Sorry, but he sounds better today than then, even though he was beginning to really come into his own in 91-93.

This story really shows how influential he had become by performing with Michael Jackson and Guns N Rose's at the same Venue...both artists at the peak of their careers. Michael was good until the end but the Dangerous tour was his peak before he relied entirely on Playback for various reasons. For that reason it is essentially his final "Live" tour as well as GNR's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shitty article, didn’t get past the first paragraph. Yeah, it’s all about money. And sure, Axl was the only one who was snappy in the media...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gunner927 said:

People say '87 or '88 or '91 were the best eras of the band. No. Nothing can touch those shows from 199. 

87, 88, 91 and 93 for me.. Love the 92 shows to for the audio but it is visually tough to consume with Axl's costumes and so on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The band was only truly a band in the Appetite era...raw straight in your face no BS rock n'roll!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jamillos said:

Shitty article, didn’t get past the first paragraph. Yeah, it’s all about money. And sure, Axl was the only one who was snappy in the media...

Before the band had to "approve" any interviews before they went to print😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

87, 88, 91 and 93 for me.. Love the 92 shows to for the audio but it is visually tough to consume with Axl's costumes and so on...

As time goes on, I find it harder to appreciate any of the stuff from 1992.

The costume changes, and overall sound of the band.

But I'm also a fan of the 2001-2002 lineup, so what do I know? :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Don't Cry is really the only performance from the Tokyo show I can tolerate. Wish we had better audio from the show besides the Live Era re-recordings..

Now this is the show they released on VHS, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

As time goes on, I find it harder to appreciate any of the stuff from 1992.

The costume changes, and overall sound of the band.

But I'm also a fan of the 2001-2002 lineup, so what do I know? :lol:

Did axl keep doing the costume changes in 93 or did he stop that?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Did axl keep doing the costume changes in 93 or did he stop that?.

He just stayed in a Manson t shirt and baggy shorts when i saw them, i think that's how he was for most of the Skin n Bones leg 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

He just stayed in a Manson t shirt and baggy shorts when i saw them, i think that's how he was for most of the Skin n Bones leg 

Honestly from all the pictures and videos i've seen on the Skin and Bones tour, i'm pretty sure he exclusively wore that.. The only thing i can think is the Argentina 17th show is where he wore different things, maybe 3 or 4 different outfits during the concert

Edited by UsedYourIllusion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Did axl keep doing the costume changes in 93 or did he stop that?.

Judging from the Saskatoon video, and others I've watched. The changes were minimal if at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Slash didn't play in Tokyo with MJ at the time of the GnR 1992 shows there, though. He played with MJ on New Year's Eve 1992, before the early 1993 GnR shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 6:33 PM, UsedYourIllusion said:

Don't Cry is really the only performance from the Tokyo show I can tolerate. Wish we had better audio from the show besides the Live Era re-recordings..

You Must have a different Copy of Tokyo then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Judging from the Saskatoon video, and others I've watched. The changes were minimal if at all.

 

But Saul Playing from the Saskatoon 1993, So fine is brutal like he Never Played the track before, no Feel and Mindless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 80309561 said:

But Saul Playing from the Saskatoon 1993, So fine is brutal like he Never Played the track before, no Feel and Mindless

Saul? Are you Slash's dead grandmother? 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 80309561 said:

You Must have a different Copy of Tokyo then

Nah, that show is easily the worst of the 3 Tokyo shows from February of '92. Axl doesn't sound that good, the audio is brutally bad. Probably the worst sounding modern soundboard ever officially released; even the Laserdisc sounds bad. Whoever mixed it needs to never work in audio again 😂. There's 194 shows on the UYI tour, that show has to be in the bottom 10 or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Nah, that show is easily the worst of the 3 Tokyo shows from February of '92. Axl doesn't sound that good, the audio is brutally bad. Probably the worst sounding modern soundboard ever officially released; even the Laserdisc sounds bad. Whoever mixed it needs to never work in audio again 😂. There's 194 shows on the UYI tour, that show has to be in the bottom 10 or so.

They opened the first Tokyo show with Coma and played Locomotive at the 2nd show... it's a shame they released the 3rd night. Would've been cool if they'd released the 3rd night as the "UYI I" set (probably would've been 2 VHS tapes) and have the "UYI II" set be a compilation with performances from the other nights...

I wouldn't say Tokyo is in the bottom 10 shows of the UYI tour though... Axl didn't even walk off! :lol:

Edited by Gordon Comstock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They opened the first Tokyo show with Coma and played Locomotive at the 2nd show... it's a shame they released the 3rd night. Would've been cool if they'd released the 3rd night as the "UYI I" set (probably would've been 2 VHS tapes) and have the "UYI II" set be a compilation with performances from the other nights...

I wouldn't say Tokyo is in the bottom 10 shows of the UYI tour though... Axl didn't even walk off! :lol:

You're not wrong, I mean maybe the sound isn't doing the show Justice, I don't think we'll ever know. I just mean, of the probably 80 shows I've heard from the UYI tour, easily one of my least favorites, same with the Indiana show.

I just desperately want to hear more Saskatoon esque shows. I love the Chile show, but the audio is meh, same with the last Argentina show. We just need more soundboards and I'll be a happy boy 😀

 

But on topic, 

Don't Cry is really a great performance from this show, I'd only put Don't Cry alternate from Prague and maybe one of the Appetite era performances above it

Edited by UsedYourIllusion
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

 

I just desperately want to hear more Saskatoon esque shows.

But on topic, 

Don't Cry is really a great performance from this show, I'd only put Don't Cry alternate from Prague and maybe one of the Appetite era performances above it

Saskatoon was brutal Please no more like that.

I was there seen the Gig and the Night before some Person Pummelled me in a bar in Saskatoon it was Hilarious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 80309561 said:

Saskatoon was brutal Please no more like that.

I was there seen the Gig and the Night before some Person Pummelled Saul in a bar in Saskatoon it was Hilarious

What... The Saskatoon '93 show?? With The Garden, Nice Boys, great acoustic rendition of November Rain, great Paradise City??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×