Albert Finney RIP

Len Cnut

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning is one of the greatest films I've ever seen.  The man was sheer fuckin' class up and down.  That film, so the story goes, inspired Robert De Niro to act.  The influence of Kitchen Sink dramas of England had a massive effect on the New York set, they thought they were art films...and in a way I guess they were.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

My introduction to him was his Churchill in The Gathering Storm. He puts Oldman to shame.

I haven't actually seen that, nor Oldman's. I tend to find biopics like this corny. Does anyone remember that Hitler one with Robert Carlyle, Hitler with a Scottish accent haha. ''weel kill al the Jews like''. 

'i dunno how that rat face could do a thing like that'

'cuz she's a bitch and a whore.  she's got no heart on her, she's a swivel-eyed get'

:lol: 

I got a knitted tie just like the one Albert Finneys wearing on the strength of this film.

Edited by Len Cnut

On 2/9/2019 at 9:50 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I haven't actually seen that, nor Oldman's. I tend to find biopics like this corny. Does anyone remember that Hitler one with Robert Carlyle, Hitler with a Scottish accent haha. ''weel kill al the Jews like''. 

The Gathering Storm focuses on his life between 1934 and 1939, not his best years. He was in financial ruin and seemed to have his best years behind him. 

Just now, Georgy Zhukov said:

The Gathering Storm focuses on his life between 1934 and 1939, not his best years. He was in financial ruin and seemed to have his best years behind him. 

He was on the fringes of the Conservatives. There were about twenty of them who had the audacity and stupidity to rant about Herr Hitler, and against British disarmament. He was actually hated by his own party more than the opposition as the Conservatives had espoused disarmament/appeasement more than anyone, Baldwin, Chamberlain, Halifax, etc. ''All Hitler is doing is uniting Germans and righting a wrong (Versailles)'' they said. That is why Attlee (Labour) refused to work under Chamberlain in a coalition in the fabled meeting(s) of 10th May 1940 which opened the way for Churchill's appointment. That was the very same day that Hitler invaded the low countries/France. There are few days more momentous than 10th May 1940.