Poll: What do we as fans and consumers want?

As fans and consumers, what do we want?  

334 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

New album would obviously be at the top of the list for me, but as mentioned there are a lot of different avenues management can go down to generate a lot of money.

The Perfect Crime documentary bundled with a disc of a sit down interview with Axl, Duff and Slash documenting the demise of the band and what paths they went down following. I reckon that would be fucking great considering they have done practically no press whatsoever.

They're already back on top of their game without really breaking a sweat. The second highest grossing tour of all time - there is a lot still left in the tank. I just hope Axl makes the best of the next 5/10 years as potentially they can be the best he's endured as an artist.

9 minutes ago, killuridols said:

New music or fuck off.

Yeah, I know new music will be shite and they won't be at the top of the game ever again but if they are not dead yet, they should justify their existence as artists, or just retire, or stop touring nostalgia crap.

Well, I can indeed confirm that they're not dead yet.

The problem is so few fans do proverbially ''fuck off''. They go back again and again with their wallets open. Some of them even bought the £1000 boxset on release! Guns are now a ''complete capitalistic operation'', not a creative band. They are now based solely on ''supply and demand'', so if people continue to pay extravagant amounts of money on tat, Fernando will continue delivering tat. It is the same with the shows. If fans are willing to spend £100 upwards on the exact same nostalgia (with squeaky vocals), they'll continue supplying the exact same nostalgia (with squeaky vocals).

It is so sad how this band ended up - it really is.  

• Like 2

So unsurprisingly it the new music which is the biggest want. IMO something has to happen regarding new music as there is little scope for another tour in the same format - at least a successful one anyway. Even an EP would be enough - 6 or so new tracks - to justify another tour. And as the post above says, a new stage show and refreshed setlist - more original stuff and less covers.

It looks like you guys expect that once they get back on the stage, they will be playing the same stuff. NITL was a reunion tour, they had to do it, and even though I could have done without the 2018 part, the rest was cool, and there were some nice setlist changes at least in 2016.

But apart from a few single shows that may happen during 2019/20, once they’re back on a tour, it will be a different thing – they’re not touring before a new record is out, so we’ll have a different setlist, obviously. The "nostalgia" thing just had to be done, it’s logical. When you reunite, you establish the game first so that people remember, see what it is about now, and maybe you gain new, young fans. After you’re finished with this, only then can you move on with new music, i.e. new setlist. What’s not to understand here?

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with them touring the same shit over and over, if people want to see it then why not, they do have that right, they made/wrote the music, why not go play it, its theirs and people enjoy themselves.  I just think its foolhardy to expect some sort of a return to form or whatever, or even decent new music.  As far as new music goes I think its an idiotic expectation, given this bands form regarding that kind of shit.  I don't think they are under any obligation to anyone one way or another to produce new music if thats not their interest.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The acts who cope with proceedings best in old age are troubadour style solo acts like Dylan, Neil Young and Johnny Cash. You big rock/metal acts are now all embarrassing. 

I think its do-able, it appears to be more problematic when your thing was sold, from its inception, as some sort of a youth culture thing, people paint themselves into a corner musically.  The worst thing you can be really for musical integrity is a boy band or like the new big thing for the youth...because you get tagged with that and the minute you start off into your 40s you become sort of a joke.  Dylan, Young, Cash never had that problem, though Dylan was a big youth culture thing he actively fought against it and made moves that tried to kinda seperate him from all that.  The old blues artists didn't suffer from aging too, nor did people like James Brown etc.   

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't have a problem with them touring the same shit over and over, if people want to see it then why not, they do have that right, they made/wrote the music, why not go play it, its theirs and people enjoy themselves.  I just think its foolhardy to expect some sort of a return to form or whatever, or even decent new music.  As far as new music goes I think its an idiotic expectation, given this bands form regarding that kind of shit.  I don't think they are under any obligation to anyone one way or another to produce new music if thats not their interest.

I agree with this but does this not entail an acceptance that Guns N' Roses are no longer a proper musical band and now merely a brand involved in supply and demand and market forces. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I agree with this but does this not entail an acceptance that Guns N' Roses are no longer a proper musical band and now merely a brand involved in supply and demand and market forces. 

Whats a proper musical band?  You play music, thats what makes you a band.  There really is no obligation to make new music if the audience is alright trundling along listening to you do your old shit.  I do see your point though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Whats a proper musical band?  You play music, thats what makes you a band.  There really is no obligation to make new music if the audience is alright trundling along listening to you do your old shit.  I do see your point though. 

This band put out 4-5 albums between 1987 and 1993 and now it is just become some sort of parody, like a variety show sponsored by VISA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

It looks like you guys expect that once they get back on the stage, they will be playing the same stuff. NITL was a reunion tour, they had to do it, and even though I could have done without the 2018 part, the rest was cool, and there were some nice setlist changes at least in 2016.

But apart from a few single shows that may happen during 2019/20, once they’re back on a tour, it will be a different thing – they’re not touring before a new record is out, so we’ll have a different setlist, obviously. The "nostalgia" thing just had to be done, it’s logical. When you reunite, you establish the game first so that people remember, see what it is about now, and maybe you gain new, young fans. After you’re finished with this, only then can you move on with new music, i.e. new setlist. What’s not to understand here?

What is not to understand? I think you are overlooking the fact that the current setlist already contains plenty of deeper cuts and covers that are not part of the band's nostalgia, and that they can't really strip away the nostalgia songs because then fans wouldn't attend the shows. So the best I can see is that they replace some of the deeper cuts with some other deep cuts, and replace some of the cover songs. Expecting them to break away from the nostalgia theme is, in my opinion, not very realistic. Not even if they release new music do I find it very plausible that they will discard the AFD and UYI hits that draws the crowds. 

^^^ I’m not sure why you’re arguing this point though? You want them to wheel out new music but you know deep down you’d probably be disappointed with it because it’s 2019 and in your own words, they’ve fucked up their prime and the boat has sailed??? So what’s the point of bothering with new music? 

Hey... I’m not disagreeing, 94-2006 was the lost years where they could have reasonably released 3-4 more albums and dominated another 12 years and had a catalogue that rivalled anyone’s, unfortunately after 06, by the time Axl was spotted 4 years later he was completely past it! I still personally have no idea how he could go from being so fit, and the top of his game in 06 to what he was in 2010. 

Anyway, the point is, everyone wants new music, but seriously, be careful what you wish for, it could seriously tarnish the reputation and if that’s the case, then not releasing anything new is perfectly good idea. 

The mistakes that were made that matter the most were made 2 decades ago, not now. They’re a touring act, and pushing 60... I’m at peace with it. I made that peace a long time ago. I’d just like some quality releases of their prime to enjoy and I’m more than prepared to pay for it. 

17 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What is not to understand? I think you are overlooking the fact that the current setlist already contains plenty of deeper cuts and covers that are not part of the band's nostalgia, and that they can't really strip away the nostalgia songs because then fans wouldn't attend the shows. So the best I can see is that they replace some of the deeper cuts with some other deep cuts, and replace some of the cover songs. Expecting them to break away from the nostalgia theme is, in my opinion, not very realistic. Not even if they release new music do I find it very plausible that they will discard the AFD and UYI hits that draws the crowds. 

Once a new record is out and they decide to tour it, the setlist will obviously comprise both the new songs and the famous old hits, which is quite usual for all bands. As for the ratio, we can only speculate now. Again, nothing weird about that. 

21 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Once a new record is out and they decide to tour it, the setlist will obviously comprise both the new songs and the famous old hits, which is quite usual for all bands. As for the ratio, we can only speculate now. Again, nothing weird about that. 

Oh, I agree. Just like they did when CD came out. 

On 11-2-2019 at 9:06 AM, DTJ80 said:

As fans and consumers, what do we want to see made available for purchase? This can be anything from a new album to stuff we know could be made available (why is the Spaghetti Incident out of print??!!).

A functional bands that clearly communicates with it's fanbase, manages fan expectaions well and is generally well-managed. 

• Like 1