DTJ80

Poll: What do we as fans and consumers want?

As fans and consumers, what do we want?  

319 members have voted

1. 1. As the title says, what do we the fans and consumers want to see made available for purchase? I have listed stuff I would like to see below but I’m sure there are loads of other things.

• A new album......
    • Officially released Ritz 88 on CD/DVD/Vinyl
    • Officially released Saskatoon 93 on CD/DVD/Vinyl
    • Use Your Illusion boxset
    • Officially released versions of known pro-shots
    • Perfect Crime documentary
    • Official live package of NITL tour
    • Other

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Off topic, but I just read your signature. Out of curiosity what did you think of the Gorge show? That was my first time going to that venue and it was really cool, but I thought the 2016 show at Century Link was much better.

yup, I was at both shows.  The wife and I were in the Pit at Century Link, so that was cool as hell.  We went with a bunch of people to the Gorge show, but were on the lawn.  So, from that perspective, being in the Pit was more awesome.  But both shows were cool.

The gorge fires really made for a crazy scene at the 2017 show.

I had been to a couple of shows prior at the Gorge, and it is always a good time.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

yup, I was at both shows.  The wife and I were in the Pit at Century Link, so that was cool as hell.  We went with a bunch of people to the Gorge show, but were on the lawn.  So, from that perspective, being in the Pit was more awesome.  But both shows were cool.

The gorge fires really made for a crazy scene at the 2017 show.

I had been to a couple of shows prior at the Gorge, and it is always a good time.

Nice, I was in the pit for both shows. Coma, This I Love and Out Ta Get Me at the 2016 show were incredible, the best performances of those songs I've seen live for sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duffgnr86 said:

I don't think of it as very profitable..

If they updated it regularly, it'd be profitable... Let's say it's $10-15 per month, they could start it off with around 30 shows, and add more shows and documentaries each month. There's at least 3 documentaries sitting in the vault, probably more, and rehearsal footage for Troubadour/Vegas 2016, etc. It would also be the only chance the CD-era fans would get to see/hear those late 2001 shows, not to mention all the footage from 2006-2010... there's enough material from 1986-2018 that they could keep that going for a while IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duffgnr86 said:

About releasing something new, they don’t owe us anything, treated with some respect and etc..

I think that we're the problem..

I believe that we as fans have the power to change things.. if they continue doing the same setlist for years and years, and we we complain but still continue making sold out shows/filling stadiums they'll probably continue doing the same indefinitely..easy money.. But..if they have problems filling stadiums and start loosing our support they probably change their strategy and do something about it..or they disappear..

It's my thought..maybe i'm wrong

I've always said "Vote with your wallet" but GNR fans keep buying the tickets, so GNR keeps doing the same thing. 

2 hours ago, Tyler Drama said:

There’s a huge demographic who’s fine with everything they’ve done and continue to do. They just don’t visit this forum.

The pre-NITL ticket sales would say otherwise. The tickets sold were fewer and fewer and fewer. 

The big draw over the last couple of years was that Slash and Duff returned to the fold. They already had to step down to arenas in the US on their second run through. Many of those arena shows weren't even sold out. Many of them ended up on Groupon and still weren't sold out. 

At best, GNR needs to tour only every couple of years if they plan on sustaining touring without ever releasing new music. 

• Like 1

Alright, new album, boxset etc all good ideas. Replacing band members? Yeh, not happening. 

Also, yeah the whole threatening of families etc is absolute disrespect and totally over the line. As for anything else that GNR choose to do, I don't feel disrespected. If they don't want to release music or give interviews, that's on them and I don't take it personal in any way shape or form... Why? Because even though I love GNR above ant other band! They are still just a band and really don't affect my life besides the fact that I enjoy listening to them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Pantages Theatre 1991 is the holy grail of UYI shows, IMO. It was shot on film so would likely be (one of) the best quality releases we could get, and the setlist was cool. (Rare performance of Bad Apples and a couple songs with Shannon Hoon). The quality would be as good as (or possibly better than) the footage in the YCBM video, from Ritz '91.

MSG 1991 (3rd night) would be awesome too, the show where they played Locomotive and Breakdown. Boston 1993 is another good one.

The thing is, we don't really know what's sitting in the vault... we didn't know Ritz '87 was pro-shot until a year ago. We don't know what the footage of Giants Stadium looks like (or whatever show they filmed for the Paradise City video). Axl says at the Melbourne show that they're filming it to show their friends back home, or something like that... I would think there's a better quality recording out there somewhere. I'd take a less-than-perfect recording of an unseen show over a remastered copy of Ritz '88 any day of the week.

I was at the first night of the MSG 1991 concert. He was actually happy. He didn't go off on anyone that night. I wish they played Breakdown at that show. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

The pre-NITL ticket sales would say otherwise. The tickets sold were fewer and fewer and fewer.

Yeah I meant since 2016.

New album would obviously be at the top of the list for me, but as mentioned there are a lot of different avenues management can go down to generate a lot of money.

The Perfect Crime documentary bundled with a disc of a sit down interview with Axl, Duff and Slash documenting the demise of the band and what paths they went down following. I reckon that would be fucking great considering they have done practically no press whatsoever.

They're already back on top of their game without really breaking a sweat. The second highest grossing tour of all time - there is a lot still left in the tank. I just hope Axl makes the best of the next 5/10 years as potentially they can be the best he's endured as an artist.

23 minutes ago, Tyler Drama said:

Yeah I meant since 2016.

That doesn't explain the rest of my post lol

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

I was at the first night of the MSG 1991 concert. He was actually happy. He didn't go off on anyone that night. I wish they played Breakdown at that show. 

Didn't he go off on the press at that show?

• Like 1

New music or fuck off.

Yeah, I know new music will be shite and they won't be at the top of the game ever again but if they are not dead yet, they should justify their existence as artists, or just retire, or stop touring nostalgia crap.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, killuridols said:

New music or fuck off.

Yeah, I know new music will be shite and they won't be at the top of the game ever again but if they are not dead yet, they should justify their existence as artists, or just retire, or stop touring nostalgia crap.

Well, I can indeed confirm that they're not dead yet.

The problem is so few fans do proverbially ''fuck off''. They go back again and again with their wallets open. Some of them even bought the £1000 boxset on release! Guns are now a ''complete capitalistic operation'', not a creative band. They are now based solely on ''supply and demand'', so if people continue to pay extravagant amounts of money on tat, Fernando will continue delivering tat. It is the same with the shows. If fans are willing to spend £100 upwards on the exact same nostalgia (with squeaky vocals), they'll continue supplying the exact same nostalgia (with squeaky vocals).

It is so sad how this band ended up - it really is.  

• Like 2

If all hardcore fans boycotted the tour and merch, I doubt they'd do much about it. 

Some suit would crunch the numbers and say, nah boys, we'll just throw an inflatable dolphin and they'll come right back! 

But there's no juice left in the lemon.

The Axl/Slash/Duff reunion was the commodity and the interest is waning. They even had solid openers! 

The machine needs reformatting.

New album, new set design, new show, new approach to fans. 

So unsurprisingly it the new music which is the biggest want. IMO something has to happen regarding new music as there is little scope for another tour in the same format - at least a successful one anyway. Even an EP would be enough - 6 or so new tracks - to justify another tour. And as the post above says, a new stage show and refreshed setlist - more original stuff and less covers.

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Why? Because even though I love GNR above ant other band!

This used to be me, but now I'm more into bands that make music.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

It looks like you guys expect that once they get back on the stage, they will be playing the same stuff. NITL was a reunion tour, they had to do it, and even though I could have done without the 2018 part, the rest was cool, and there were some nice setlist changes at least in 2016.

But apart from a few single shows that may happen during 2019/20, once they’re back on a tour, it will be a different thing – they’re not touring before a new record is out, so we’ll have a different setlist, obviously. The "nostalgia" thing just had to be done, it’s logical. When you reunite, you establish the game first so that people remember, see what it is about now, and maybe you gain new, young fans. After you’re finished with this, only then can you move on with new music, i.e. new setlist. What’s not to understand here?

• Like 1

It is made more so because Rose has essentially been on the nostalgia junket from at least 2013 onwards, if not earlier. Guns as a nostalgia act precedes the semi-reunion by a great number of years.  

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with them touring the same shit over and over, if people want to see it then why not, they do have that right, they made/wrote the music, why not go play it, its theirs and people enjoy themselves.  I just think its foolhardy to expect some sort of a return to form or whatever, or even decent new music.  As far as new music goes I think its an idiotic expectation, given this bands form regarding that kind of shit.  I don't think they are under any obligation to anyone one way or another to produce new music if thats not their interest.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The acts who cope with proceedings best in old age are troubadour style solo acts like Dylan, Neil Young and Johnny Cash. You big rock/metal acts are now all embarrassing. 

I think its do-able, it appears to be more problematic when your thing was sold, from its inception, as some sort of a youth culture thing, people paint themselves into a corner musically.  The worst thing you can be really for musical integrity is a boy band or like the new big thing for the youth...because you get tagged with that and the minute you start off into your 40s you become sort of a joke.  Dylan, Young, Cash never had that problem, though Dylan was a big youth culture thing he actively fought against it and made moves that tried to kinda seperate him from all that.  The old blues artists didn't suffer from aging too, nor did people like James Brown etc.   

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't have a problem with them touring the same shit over and over, if people want to see it then why not, they do have that right, they made/wrote the music, why not go play it, its theirs and people enjoy themselves.  I just think its foolhardy to expect some sort of a return to form or whatever, or even decent new music.  As far as new music goes I think its an idiotic expectation, given this bands form regarding that kind of shit.  I don't think they are under any obligation to anyone one way or another to produce new music if thats not their interest.

I agree with this but does this not entail an acceptance that Guns N' Roses are no longer a proper musical band and now merely a brand involved in supply and demand and market forces. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I agree with this but does this not entail an acceptance that Guns N' Roses are no longer a proper musical band and now merely a brand involved in supply and demand and market forces. 

Whats a proper musical band?  You play music, thats what makes you a band.  There really is no obligation to make new music if the audience is alright trundling along listening to you do your old shit.  I do see your point though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Whats a proper musical band?  You play music, thats what makes you a band.  There really is no obligation to make new music if the audience is alright trundling along listening to you do your old shit.  I do see your point though. 

This band put out 4-5 albums between 1987 and 1993 and now it is just become some sort of parody, like a variety show sponsored by VISA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

It looks like you guys expect that once they get back on the stage, they will be playing the same stuff. NITL was a reunion tour, they had to do it, and even though I could have done without the 2018 part, the rest was cool, and there were some nice setlist changes at least in 2016.

But apart from a few single shows that may happen during 2019/20, once they’re back on a tour, it will be a different thing – they’re not touring before a new record is out, so we’ll have a different setlist, obviously. The "nostalgia" thing just had to be done, it’s logical. When you reunite, you establish the game first so that people remember, see what it is about now, and maybe you gain new, young fans. After you’re finished with this, only then can you move on with new music, i.e. new setlist. What’s not to understand here?

What is not to understand? I think you are overlooking the fact that the current setlist already contains plenty of deeper cuts and covers that are not part of the band's nostalgia, and that they can't really strip away the nostalgia songs because then fans wouldn't attend the shows. So the best I can see is that they replace some of the deeper cuts with some other deep cuts, and replace some of the cover songs. Expecting them to break away from the nostalgia theme is, in my opinion, not very realistic. Not even if they release new music do I find it very plausible that they will discard the AFD and UYI hits that draws the crowds.