Last song you learned to play on guitar?

12 hours ago, EvanG said:

I learned to play the solo in Queen's Crazy Little Thing Called Love the other day. Lately I have more fun learning fairly simple, short, melodic solos like that. 

I recommend the One Vision solo. It has a cool tapping that sounds tricky, but it's actually pretty logic once you get it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't Damn Me. 

I think I got most of it already. But I dont know how to make those harmonics when the fast descending lick starts in the solo. Didn't see anyone on YouTube doing that.

I suspect Slash plays this particular part in the D string, near the headstock. And then he plays the G and B strings for those harmonics. 

Does anyone have a better idea? Should I care that much for that? lol

• GNFNR 1

On August 4, 2020 at 11:45 AM, Voodoochild said:

Don't Damn Me. 

I think I got most of it already. But I dont know how to make those harmonics when the fast descending lick starts in the solo. Didn't see anyone on YouTube doing that.

I suspect Slash plays this particular part in the D string, near the headstock. And then he plays the G and B strings for those harmonics. 

Does anyone have a better idea? Should I care that much for that? lol

Nice! Killer guitar throughout and that solo is glorious!

I gave it a fresh listen. I think those are the types of harmonics that are almost natural in some peoples style. But for others its really difficult to emulate.

Your thoughts make sense to me. The harmonics add a lot of flare so I think youd wanna chase that down. :headbang:

That solo has an extra beefy tone even by Slash UYI standards, to my ears. So maybe getting a little near-feedback going will help with the harmonics too?

7 hours ago, soon said:

Nice! Killer guitar throughout and that solo is glorious!

I gave it a fresh listen. I think those are the types of harmonics that are almost natural in some peoples style. But for others its really difficult to emulate.

Your thoughts make sense to me. The harmonics add a lot of flare so I think youd wanna chase that down. :headbang:

That solo has an extra beefy tone even by Slash UYI standards, to my ears. So maybe getting a little near-feedback going will help with the harmonics too?

Hey, thanks for that. The song is amazing, and the solo itself is really fun to play. The riff is really cool too. Wonder why they never even attempted to play it live. 

I'm trying my best to chase those harmonics, but I got so used to play it in the different part of the neck, seems like I would have to re-learn how to play it. 

I live in a small apartment, I can't really put the volume up that much, so near-feedback is a no-no for me at the moment. :(

I'm learning through Niko's playing here, and he doesn't use harmonics either:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Hey, thanks for that. The song is amazing, and the solo itself is really fun to play. The riff is really cool too. 

I agree, I learned to play it a long time ago and it's such a cool song to play. 

https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/guns-n-roses-dont-damn-me-tab-s8096t1

On the songsterr version it plays a harmonic on the 9th fret, but I don't know accurate it is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EvanG said:

I agree, I learned to play it a long time ago and it's such a cool song to play. 

https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/guns-n-roses-dont-damn-me-tab-s8096t1

On the songsterr version it plays a harmonic on the 9th fret, but I don't know accurate it is.

I don't think it's accurate. There's two different harmonics, and the rest of the progression there seems oddly placed.

Mystery solved, I think. I was trying something here and it made sense, sound like the original. It's played on the G and B strings in the 9th fret. The phrase resumes on the 6th fret in the A string and then it goes normal.

Edited by Voodoochild

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

Alright then, this is from the tab book, but it's probably not correct either then,

Well, I don't really know how it could be done that way. 

I recorded the whole song, I'm still trying to adjust some things, but here's a snippet of this part. https://we.tl/t-etQ2M3PczT

Edited by Voodoochild

8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Well, I don't really know how it could be done that way. 

I recorded the whole song, I'm still trying to adjust some things, but here's a snippet of this part. https://we.tl/t-etQ2M3PczT

I don't disagree, I hear two harmonics too, but those were the only two tabs I could find that used harmonics. You are probably close to playing the same harmonics in your version, or you already nailed it. It's hard to tell.

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I don't disagree, I hear two harmonics too, but those were the only two tabs I could find that used harmonics. You are probably close to playing the same harmonics in your version, or you already nailed it. It's hard to tell.

Thanks. It's tricky, but it does sound a bit more like the original to my ears. I wonder if Slash did on purpose or just fucked up and they thought it sounded cool. :shrugs:

Thats inspiring. Ive kinda sent myself back to school, so to speak, with my guitar playing and theory. Im seeing and feeling some improvements, but its also a 'more you know the more you realize how much you dont know' situation for me. And articulating any of what Ive learned in words remains beyond my ability.

Its kinda funny that Im pushing myself with all this theory and scale knowledge when meanwhile I just love learning Dead songs and theres a thing called "The Grateful Dead Scale" lol

• Like 1

On 11/08/2020 at 12:40 PM, Voodoochild said:

Trying now IRS and there's yet another harmonic shit going on when Bucket starts to play those pull-offs at the beginning of his solo. I can do the harmonic OR the pull-off, not both at the same time. :facepalm:

Well, I think I did ok. Execution could definitely be better, though. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Nesret said:

If you had put me in a room with other musicians and told me to "play along", it would have quickly become extremely embarrassing for me. 

You should never be afraid of making mistakes, especially in a rock band. I have never seen a rock band not make any mistakes during a show. I had rehearsal with my band the other day for the first time in ages because of corona, and I was incredibly sloppy, but I doubt the other guys even picked up on most of it because with a lot of distortion it's sometimes hard to tell. And you are your own worst critic, when I hear myself back on tape, I hear every little mistake I make, or something that could have been played more fluently, while most other people probably won't even notice. It's important to keep that in mind.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I didn’t really learn this song but still I’m gonna use this thread for some shameless self promotion. I recently got into Olivia Rodrigo and think she has some great songs but they simply lack guitar solos.. so I put one on her new single „good 4 u“:

https://youtube.com/shorts/aEUHH2L5RBg?feature=share

in some way the last song I learned to play on guitar 

Edited by SAU3R

• 2 months later...