Slash picks his favourite songs in his back catalog

vloors

40 minutes ago, vloors said:

Far & Away?! On his favorites list?! And no Ain't Life Grand?! 

I don't think Slash knows what he's talking about :lol:. If this was a genuine attempt, Nightrain would be on here.

And Lower and GTBA are not standouts from 5 O'Clock IMO.

Edited by OmarBradley

1 minute ago, OmarBradley said:

Far & Away?! On his favorites list?! And no Ain't Life Grand?! 

I don't think Slash knows what he's talking about :lol:. If this was a genuine attempt, Nightrain would be on here.

Slash slept though the writing of Night Train and regretted missing out. Maybe thats why he?

Glad to see two from 5 O'Clock Somewhere! :headbang:

• Haha 1

WTF!?

0 ALG songs!?  Like every song on that album is better than anything he ever did with Myles!  No Be the ball or What do you want to be?

Only Coma off Illusions!?!? No Breakdown, Locomotive, YCBM, Civil War, Perfect crime, Dead Horse, Bad Apples, DTTJ or Pretty tied up...

Seeeeriouslyyyyyyy...Either Slash is aging or he did not do this list himself

• Like 3

Christ he's got some shit taste, only decent song on that is Rocket Queen.  Problem with Slash is that he's got a black fellas groove but a whiteboys taste, I'll say it again, metal is the ruination of Guns n Roses, there forays into that sort of sound and style stop them from making a really good band into a fantastic band.

Some of you guys are just ridiculous -- assuming you're serious. You're really criticizing SLASH for his own personal tastes of the songs he wrote, co-wrote, or had something to do with? How rich.

I mean, if he didn't like or even love ALL the songs he did on his own he wouldn't have fucking created and released them.

Sorry, it just makes no sense to me at all that people mock and criticize others for not sharing their own opinion. I mean, how full of yourself and your own opinion can you get?? FWIW, I'm not criticizing YOUR opinion of what you like. It is whatever it is. But you're just not very realistic in being shocked by SLASH preferring the more recent material he's worked on along with GN'R classics he's had the most input on --- COMA and RQ being prime examples of all the older GN'R material.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

ALG is very over rated.. It has it's moments but overall it sounds very butt rockish..

I would rank his discography something like this. 

Appetite
LIES
UYI II
UYI I
Contraband
World On Fire
Slash
Libertad
TSI
IFOS
Apocalyptic Love

Ain't Life Grand

Living The Dream

Edited by Tom-Ass

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

ALG is very over rated.. It has it's moments but overall it sounds very butt rockish..

Appetite
LIES
UYI II
UYI I
Contraband
World On Fire
Slash
Libertad
TSI
Apocalyptic Love
IFOS

Ain't Life Grand

Living The Dream

TSI over the two Snakepits - for shame for shame. 

• Like 2

On 14/02/2019 at 9:02 PM, shotsfired cro said:

WTF!?

0 ALG songs!?  Like every song on that album is better than anything he ever did with Myles!  No Be the ball or What do you want to be?

Only Coma off Illusions!?!? No Breakdown, Locomotive, YCBM, Civil War, Perfect crime, Dead Horse, Bad Apples, DTTJ or Pretty tied up...

Seeeeriouslyyyyyyy...Either Slash is aging or he did not do this list himself

by all accounts Slash likely didn't have much input in the writing -- or isn't the "main writer -- of most of the GNR songs you mentioned. The exceptions are Locomotive and Civil War which, by all accounts, are songs that he came up with and/or is the main writer

21 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

by all accounts Slash likely didn't have much input in the writing -- or isn't the "main writer -- of most of the GNR songs you mentioned. The exceptions are Locomotive and Civil War which, by all accounts, are songs that he came up with and/or is the main writer

That seems to be the dirty secret, right? That his specialty is adding pieces to a song, not necessarily songwriting itself. That's why outside of a band setting (he calls SMKC a band but the power dynamics are such that it can never truly be a band) his music is generally dad rocky. It's why the first demos they sent Scott Weiland he said it sounded like Bad Company outtakes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

TSI over the two Snakepits - for shame for shame. 

Yeah.. I am not a big fan of ALG.. I could have probably moved IFOS up a bit.. Musically it is amazing but Dover's vocals didn't age well for me over the years. I still consider it a solid album though

1 hour ago, TeeJay410 said:

That seems to be the dirty secret, right? That his specialty is adding pieces to a song, not necessarily songwriting itself. That's why outside of a band setting (he calls SMKC a band but the power dynamics are such that it can never truly be a band) his music is generally dad rocky. It's why the first demos they sent Scott Weiland he said it sounded like Bad Company outtakes.

1 hour ago, TeeJay410 said:

yes you are mostly correct i guess

i suppose slash is great at coming up with riffs, licks, and even chord progressions, but i don't think he has the ability or the desire to build a full song around them

i also don't think that slash has the ability or the desire to work on perfecting the arrangements of a song in order to give it dynamics, flow, groove etc. i think he gets easily satisfied with half-good arrangements and half-good dynamics

it appears to me that once slash comes up with a great riff (or "piece" as you put it) he just wants to play it and he genuinely has a lot of fun playing it

so much so that he doesn't seem to care much for what is going on around him and around his riff (i.e. the song)

in short, i'd say that as long as slash can play his riffs and pieces, he doesn't really care if he has miles singing about elephants by his side and the song is not really going anywhere

that's why you have so many good and great riffs and pieces in slash albums that are absolutely buried in shitty songs and shitty arrangements

some of the songs (specially snakepit I and the actual "slash" solo album) are actually ok, listenable, some are even good, but they hardly reach the drama apex and the hard-to-explain magic that so many of GN'R songs did reach

---

as for SMKC, i believe that myles plays a bit of the "Izzy part", meaning he is the guy who gets slash's ideas and turns them into proper songs -- like izzy (and also axl and duff, i believe in a minor capacity) did in GNR

myles is most likely the one who builds and structures the songs around slash's ideas. I believe slash gives a lot of freedom for him to do that and for him to sing about whatever the fuck he wants (hence elephants etc). that's why the partnership works so seamlessly. all slash needs to do is come up with some killer pieces and miles will write a song around it and sing whatever around it.

problem is that what is good enough for slash can be very hard to listen to, specially when you remember that myles can write songs, of course, but they usually are not that good.

and when compaired to slash's highest "bar", which is GNR, the whole thing sounds awful, as myles can't lick izzy's boots (and axl's boots) when it comes to songwriting

there is an additional problem. the conspirators may play GNR songs in a more pleasing way than the current axl & slash band do. but they are really shitty (i mean awful) at creating their own arrangements. the latest evidence of that is slash's incredibly unlistenable last album. that shit is just as bad as frank ferrer's drumming in axl band

so what do you get from SMKC? you get half-good songs and shitty arrangements and that became the standard for slash's latest albums

the "bad company" demos comment i suppose you have to take that with a grain of salt. because it came from scott weiland and that guy was 50/50 on songwriting department, he has released some nice (even great) stuff but he has also released some utter crap "contemporary" rock stuff

also, i never really understood if the "bad company" demos comment was about the songs VR wrote with izzy or if it was about the songs they wrote without (after) izzy.

if scott was referring to the songs VR wrote with izzy, i suppose scott was very wrong on his assessment. how do i know that? i don't. but i am pretty sure about that. why? well, because, 1) to this day, there is no known collaboration of izzy and slash that sounds like bad company and 2) to this day there is no known collaboration of izzy and slash that sounds bad.

yeah, i suppose you are right, the dirty secret in the music business is that it's all about the songs. without songs, you don't usually go too far and you don't usually last long.

without great performers, it's hard to create an impact as well. but even the best performer needs decent songs. otherwise people lose interest in 10 minutes.

when you have the songs and the performers, well, then it is a whole different game. people will always be willing to listen to good songs played by good performers

they will gladly pay top cash to see great performers playing great songs even if the singer can't really sing anymore etc etc etc

16 hours ago, ludurigan said:

Catalogue covers all the songs he was involved with 

8 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

Catalogue covers all the songs he was involved with 

exactly

that doesn't change the fact that a lot of people tend to choose the stuff that they had a bigger input on as their "favourites" or as the ones they are most proud of

let's for example consider breakdown

by all accounts it is an axl song

by all accounts axl wrote it on piano and presented it to the band

by all accounts the band had little input on the writing of the song

by all accounts no one in the band wanted to record epic piano ballads except axl

by all accounts axl pretty much pushed breakdown down the throath of everyone in the band

so, please tell me, why on earth would slash pick, for example, breakdown as his favourite song?

On 2/18/2019 at 9:34 AM, Tom-Ass said:

No offense to you, but I've heard this term before and not only think it's stupid but I really don't understand what it's supposed to mean. I guess anything someone doesn't like can have that word added to the front of it. How rich. To me then, all of the music today would be butt-hip-hop.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:34 AM, Tom-Ass said:

Appetite
LIES
UYI II
UYI I
Contraband
World On Fire
Slash
Libertad
TSI
IFOS
Apocalyptic Love

Ain't Life Grand

Living The Dream

I'm honestly surprised to hear this from you. To each their own, of course, but I mean it from the standpoint that we tend to see eye-to-eye on many things SLASH and GN'R. I've honestly not known anyone to prefer IFOS over ALG, not even the casual fans I know. I have a friend that's a huge Aerosmith guy but not big into GN'R or even SLASH but he absolutely loved ALG and used to search out bootleg copies from that era.

For me, while I like most everything SLASH has done, IFOS is by far the weakest -- but largely due to the vocals IMO. Rod Jackson was a much better vocalist to me. And the music on the whole was better. I absolutely loved that album 19 years ago and still do today. I'm very surprised to learn how much you dislike it. I wouldn't have expected that. I'm sure you've said so before but it slipped by me.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thunderram said:

No offense to you, but I've heard this term before and not only think it's stupid but I really don't understand what it's supposed to mean. I guess anything someone doesn't like can have that word added to the front of it. How rich. To me then, all of the music today would be butt-hip-hop.

I'm honestly surprised to hear this from you. To each their own, of course, but I mean it from the standpoint that we tend to see eye-to-eye on many things SLASH and GN'R. I've honestly not known anyone to prefer IFOS over ALG, not even the casual fans I know. I have a friend that's a huge Aerosmith guy but not big into GN'R or even SLASH but he absolutely loved ALG and used to search out bootleg copies from that era.

For me, while I like most everything SLASH has done, IFOS is by far the weakest -- but largely due to the vocals IMO. Rod Jackson was a much better vocalist to me. And the music on the whole was better. I absolutely loved that album 19 years ago and still do today. I'm very surprised to learn how much you dislike it. I wouldn't have expected that. I'm sure you've said so before but it slipped by me.

That's taste. To me I5OCS is his very best work after GNR. Bluesy, gritty, raw... a damn good rnr LP.

I love ALG as well but it's more on a level with Contraband and Slash to me...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thunderram said:

The term butt rock to me means outdated cheesy 80's rock..  That isn't saying that all 80's rock is cheesy and outdated because I do love a lot of it.. 

I don't hate ALG and enjoy a few songs but overall I just think it is weak and am not a Rod Jackson... Music is subjective.. For instance everyone seems to love Serial Killer but I think it is sounds corny as hell. Mostly due to Rod.. The guitars are great but Rod just makes it sound like a joke.. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ludurigan said:

exactly

that doesn't change the fact that a lot of people tend to choose the stuff that they had a bigger input on as their "favourites" or as the ones they are most proud of

let's for example consider breakdown

by all accounts it is an axl song

by all accounts axl wrote it on piano and presented it to the band

by all accounts the band had little input on the writing of the song

by all accounts no one in the band wanted to record epic piano ballads except axl

by all accounts axl pretty much pushed breakdown down the throath of everyone in the band

so, please tell me, why on earth would slash pick, for example, breakdown as his favourite song?

why not?

we are talking about catalogue.  catalogue = all songs Slash was involved on. 

FACT - Slash was involved on all GNR records 87-94, Snakepit, VR, SMKC.

Why shouldn't he like Breakdown!?

You think Breakdown, Estranged or November rain would sounsd same if Slash was not participating on them?

Did you ever watch Making f'ng videos?

That Axl v Slash stabdpoint is pretty juvenile sounding explenation.

So who wrote Snakepit, VR, SMKC stuff he didn't point out, someone else?

I bet you not Slash, not anyone else ever thought of pointing out a dsong or not cause it had more axl or more Slash on it.

17 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

why not?

we are talking about catalogue.  catalogue = all songs Slash was involved on. 

FACT - Slash was involved on all GNR records 87-94, Snakepit, VR, SMKC.

Why shouldn't he like Breakdown!?

You think Breakdown, Estranged or November rain would sounsd same if Slash was not participating on them?

Did you ever watch Making f'ng videos?

That Axl v Slash stabdpoint is pretty juvenile sounding explenation.

So who wrote Snakepit, VR, SMKC stuff he didn't point out, someone else?

I bet you not Slash, not anyone else ever thought of pointing out a dsong or not cause it had more axl or more Slash on it.

Axl has said himself that making the guys record his piano songs was like pulling teeth because they didn't wanna have nothing to do with those songs

so why on fucking earth would slash choose a song that he didn't even want to record in the first place among his favourites?

if you can't see that dude, there is no point in having a discussion with you

oh, and thanks for being so classy on your answer

saying that an argument is "juvenile" is a pretty classy and adult way to engage in a discussion

keep it up, it's hysterical fun to join discussions like this!