Slash: "There's material and stuff going on already for a new record."

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Not really because Frank actually plays for GN'R and has been doing so for a long time. That's a strong affiliation.

Well then we'd be moving into an argument we had - oh let's see? - about two days ago.

I couldn't give a monkeys who drums for them in all honestly. I never saw them. They didn't even bother to visit anywhere near my area, and if I am being perfectly honest I probably wouldn't have watched them if they did. Conspirators for me tomorrow. A band who actually put out albums. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well then we'd be moving into an argument we had - oh let's see? - about two days ago.

I couldn't give a monkeys who drums for them in all honestly. I never saw them. They didn't even bother to visit anywhere near my area, and if I am being perfectly honest I probably wouldn't have watched them if they did. Conspirators for me tomorrow. A band who actually put out albums. 

They didn't even bother to visit the Newcastle area!!?

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I know you are being sarcastic but they didn't even bother to visit the north, which includes the north west (where you go for your football), north east and the entirety of Scotland.

Shame, their core audience really was probably northerners in this country, if you think about it.  In the early 90s no one from anywhere cool was listening to rock music, your big cities like Manchester London etc were all well into their dance and jungle and all that, it was the northern suburbs and more remote places where all the metallers were from that make the core audience of bands like GnR. 

19 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Shame, their core audience really was probably northerners in this country, if you think about it.  In the early 90s no one from anywhere cool was listening to rock music, your big cities like Manchester London etc were all well into their dance and jungle and all that, it was the northern suburbs and more remote places where all the metallers were from that make the core audience of bands like GnR. 

Yes but is a different thing now whereby rock shows of the ''older statesman'' description are very ''prawn sandwich brigade''. 

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, because he is just a random drummer with no affiliation to Guns N' Roses. 

Before joining GNR Frank was also a random drummer with no affiliation with Guns N' Roses. If we look into that direction, Fitz is closer to GNR now being a LA hard rock drummer who plays with, you know, Slash, than Frank was when he joined. 

Frank was a very random choice actually lol

• Like 4

22 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Because SMKC really isn't that good?

The thing is you don't know how good Axl with Slash are as they haven't released shit together for 24 years. And they won't for another 24 years. That's why there's no place for any excitement about "upcoming" "certainly" "new" GNR album.

58 minutes ago, default_ said:

Before joining GNR Frank was also a random drummer with no affiliation with Guns N' Roses. If we look into that direction, Fitz is closer to GNR now being a LA hard rock drummer who plays with, you know, Slash, than Frank was when he joined. 

Frank was a very random choice actually lol

If we are playing three degrees of separation then I want Brann from Mastodon as the drummer!! :lol:

13 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

The thing is you don't know how good Axl with Slash are as they haven't released shit together for 24 years. And they won't for another 24 years. That's why there's no place for any excitement about "upcoming" "certainly" "new" GNR album.

I agree we don’t know what the dynamic is like these days - them being older, sober etc. But I don’t see why there are so many people who are absolutely insistent there will be no new music. I have read nothing to suggest that - in fact the comments suggest otherwise. And Slash himself says he has never gotten along as well with Axl as he is now so I would say the odds are more in favour of new material than not.

And - I would suggest a new GNR album would be a proper event that few other bands could conjure up. Nothing like the album releases of bands in the 90s but fans of the band and rock music in general will be checking it out for sure.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

True, I don't know how good a new album from GN'R with Slash will be and I am certain it won't come close to AFD. But it is likely there will be songs there that I will enjoy indefinitely more than any songs from SMKC. On my care-o-meter SMKC doesn't even register at all so it really doesn't take much for me to be a lot more excited about GN'R, even if we don't know that a new record will see the light of day.

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Not really because Frank actually plays for GN'R and has been doing so for a long time. That's a strong affiliation.

'Cause he's not having a better offer from any other band really. it's not about him being loyal and stuff.

Frank is a generic drummer and nobody knew him before GN'R

5 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I agree we don’t know what the dynamic is like these days - them being older, sober etc. But I don’t see why there are so many people who are absolutely insistent there will be no new music. I have read nothing to suggest that - in fact the comments suggest otherwise. And Slash himself says he has never gotten along as well with Axl as he is now so I would say the odds are more in favour of new material than not.

And - I would suggest a new GNR album would be a proper event that few other bands could conjure up. Nothing like the album releases of bands in the 90s but fans of the band and rock music in general will be checking it out for sure.

A new GnR album would be universally accepted as one of the biggest music releases and events of the past few decades, with Axl and Slash making music again together. However, because of that I think the weight of expectation and such scrutiny would paralyse Axl so much that he probably won't be able to do it. 

2 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

'Cause he's not having a better offer from any other band really. it's not about him being loyal and stuff.

Frank is a generic drummer and nobody knew him before GN'R

Doesn't really make a difference to my argument that Frank isn't a random drummer with no affiliation to GN'R.

14 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

A new GnR album would be universally accepted as one of the biggest music releases and events of the past few decades, with Axl and Slash making music again together. However, because of that I think the weight of expectation and such scrutiny would paralyse Axl so much that he probably won't be able to do it. 

With the burden being shared with Slash and Duff in particular, I thinks it’s MORE likely to happen IMO! Any praise or criticism will be split (unless his vocals/lyrics are bad) but that Looney Toons cut shows in the studio he can cut-it no problem. 👍

18 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

@DTJ80

I can believe in many things... but for how long now we've been fed with meaningless "there's new material"? I heard it from NuGNR members back in 2010 and I can hear it now, all what has changed are the people who say those words...

I get your point. However - we are in a very different space now. And I really believe that Slash and Duff being back puts a whole different spin - the weight of expectation is split more so than before so any success/praise/criticism will be aimed at the ‘big three’ as opposed to just Axl now.

Who really knows what happened post CD (did the record company really can CD2/remix) but all I am reading is positive moves these days. What was it that Axl said at the last gig - “we had to do this in order to do what’s coming next...” or words to that effect. 👍

• Like 1

Irrespective of how one feels about Myles, Slash still produces instrumental music of a very high quality. ''Wicked Stone'', ''The Dissident'' and (if we go back to 2012) ''Anastasia'' are as good as anything Slash has produced for Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver. The burden of proof is on Rose who has only officially released 15 songs between 1992 and today, to I think it's fair to say a ''mixed reception''; indeed Rose hasn't released anything in over a decade.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 4