Slash: "There's material and stuff going on already for a new record."

I see lots of reasons to be optimistic. But theres a few things that keep me grounded (people have spoke to this stuff is various was, but heres how it plays out in my mind).

- Fortus was passed over once by Axl. Fortus was in consideration until Buckethead got the job in NuGuns. Then when he got the gig it wasnt the lead position he had originally tried out for. Buckethead was valued as a writer by Axl. And while Fortus did write a really awesome hook for Betters chorus, we havent seen him utilized yet much by Guns and imho his writing credits elsewhere are for fairly generic rock. And now he's thrust into the very key Izzy role in the writing process.

- We're back to square one, Slashs music was rejected by Duff and Axl. The only difference now is that Duff and Slash embrace and accept Fortus as opposed to Paul. But like I suggest above, maybe Axl doesnt see Fortus as a writer suitable for Guns?

• Like 1

Just now, SoulMonster said:

But you seem to be less than partial when it comes to Slash :lol: Personally, I wasn't very impressed with either Slash or Axl. Richard and Melissa carried the show for me :lol:

Of course. Slash was one of my heroes growing-up. One of two reasons I learnt guitar, the other being Hendrix. 

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Of course. Slash was one of my heroes growing-up. One of two reasons I learnt guitar, the other being Hendrix. 

Same here! This is eerie! Like splitting images!

Still, I am not a child anymore -- I am not going to praise everything he does just because of what he did on Appetite. Same with Axl. They are way past their heyday -- but I still hope and believe they could make a good record. And if they can't, well, then I hope Axl will at least release the rest of the CD songs, because I am confident there will be gems in there.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Irrespective of how one feels about Myles, Slash still produces instrumental music of a very high quality. ''Wicked Stone'', ''The Dissident'' and (if we go back to 2012) ''Anastasia'' are as good as anything Slash has produced for Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver. The burden of proof is on Rose who has only officially released 15 songs between 1992 and today, to I think it's fair to say a ''mixed reception''; indeed Rose hasn't released anything in over a decade.

...but we got Rock The Rock!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

It's so boring being a fan of this band. I haven't felt inspired to listen to them since the AFD boxset came out and feel like that ain't gonna change anytime soon. Their catalogue is too small.

My feelings exactly.. my friend asked 

"Do you really want them to come out with a new record?" 

I see started thinking about it, there's what, 62 original GN'R songs? (At least released ones)

2 LLAS

12 Appetite

4 Lies

28 UYI

1 Shadow of Your Love

14 CD

1 OMG

Just compare that to Rolling Stones, Zeppelin, Metallica, whomever.. it's sad. So really hoping this pans out into something. I think it honestly will

Edited by UsedYourIllusion

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

That's a real negative and sort of dehumanizing spin on people(DieselDaisy) you literally don't know, at all. 

I myself am generally fairly positive, if being naive enough to have faith we're getting new material is positivity. Yet on occasion I still get these little cunty jibes that DD receives too. It fascinates me. I think what happens for members with your negative attitude is you see the username and profile pic like a cartoon popping up all over the place and you think "This fucking guy. They must be trying to be forum-famous and seek my approval or irritate me." Maybe mind your own business dude. Like myself DD is just being himself so I can respect that even if I don't always agree with him on every little thing.

I guess you don't have personality or character of your own, huh? All you have is going on the internet attempting to belittle others for lame reasons like their post count is too high, according to you. Then everyone will surely know how cool you must be, huh? I see you standing there.

I’m absent of character, personality and interest in your post. You began your post making valid points, but the last paragraph is exactly what I mean by Internet personality and negativity. I didn’t take a shot at a particular poster. As for the claim of dehumanizing a person, that is totally absurd. It’s amsuing how you Internet personalities stick up for each other. If you are a old as your name implies I would think you would be above your post. 

Edited by The Holographic Universe

12 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

translation

axl may or may not decide to do a record 

here there is zero proof that there will be a CD b/c Slash is the same as Dizzy or Fortus 

He is not. If Slash would tell Axl that if they won't release a new album he will quit, they'd release new album or GNR would be dead. If Dizzy or Fortus would quit the band 99% of fanbase wouldn't give a shit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sl4yer said:

He is not. If Slash would tell Axl that if they won't release a new album he will quit, they'd release new album or GNR would be dead. If Dizzy or Fortus would quit the band 99% of fanbase wouldn't give a shit. 

how naive 

axl has and always will do what he wants 

slash quits which he prob wont bye bye gnr so be it

I just can’t imagine the band producing a great album. Maybe CD left overs and Axl material he has worked on over the years, but Slash’s SMKC albums have been uninspired. And Axl is on record as saying he believes Slash has lost or wasted his talent. The VR albums and Slash’s solo albums could have yielded some great GNR songs. 

5 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I just can’t imagine the band producing a great album. Maybe CD left overs and Axl material he has worked on over the years, but Slash’s SMKC albums have been uninspired. And Axl is on record as saying he believes Slash has lost or wasted his talent. The VR albums and Slash’s solo albums could have yielded some great GNR songs. 

I don’t think Axl has ever said anything to Slash having lost any ability or inspiration. 

He rarely comments on Slash’s other projects. But maybe I’m wrong 

I definitely think the odds of gnr producing a mainstream album full of hits is low but you never know. It would be nice to see a last gasp of greatness from these guys though 

50 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I don’t think Axl has ever said anything to Slash having lost any ability or inspiration. 

He rarely comments on Slash’s other projects. But maybe I’m wrong 

I definitely think the odds of gnr producing a mainstream album full of hits is low but you never know. It would be nice to see a last gasp of greatness from these guys though 

On as separate topic, Personally i would take contraband over CD any day of the week. If axl really had a point to prove he could have released CD between 02 and 06 if he thought CD was good enough to go up against contraband. It would have given both bands monumental press.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, default_ said:

Before joining GNR Frank was also a random drummer with no affiliation with Guns N' Roses. If we look into that direction, Fitz is closer to GNR now being a LA hard rock drummer who plays with, you know, Slash, than Frank was when he joined. 

Frank was a very random choice actually lol

I thought I read Frank either came with Richard or through knowing Richard, so that's the connection. Word of mouth/reputation hires for session musicians is common.

11 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Doesn't really make a difference to my argument that Frank isn't a random drummer with no affiliation to GN'R.

Depends how one defines GNR. :D

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Irrespective of how one feels about Myles, Slash still produces instrumental music of a very high quality. ''Wicked Stone'', ''The Dissident'' and (if we go back to 2012) ''Anastasia'' are as good as anything Slash has produced for Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver. The burden of proof is on Rose who has only officially released 15 songs between 1992 and today, to I think it's fair to say a ''mixed reception''; indeed Rose hasn't released anything in over a decade.

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Subjective! :lol:

But yeah, he is still a good guitarist, at least in the studio (his incessant noodling bored me at my GN'R show last summer and I only endured half a show with SMKC the year before, although that was mostly because I thought I had developed tinnitus but it turned out to just be Myles). 

I think the way DieselDaisy phrases it makes it sound subjective. But objectively, Slash is playing better than he ever has. You can debate whether you like the songs or not, but his playing and writing innovation is at its peak while Axl is out of shape and out of breath. 

Edited by OmarBradley

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

We both know you had certain posters in mind particularly DD. I'm upfront and you hide behind a veneer of vagueness. 

I'm not sticking up for him because I'm an internet personality and he's an internet personality lol. I simply think he's a good guy and that posts like yours have lost perspective and go over the line. I'm being stern/confronting for good reason. It's not like I'm foaming at the mouth with outrage and hate your guts now. Just don't dish it out if you can't take it man that's not cool. I'm 27 not ancient, I'm allowing myself 1 more year of not knowing better. :lol:

I just find the repeative negativity of his posts pointless. If you have something to say that you dislike or disagree with, cool. But, repeating the same garbage for years on end is fucking silly. He appears to enjoys his status on this forum. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

They should fire that band back up now that they are a bit more well known.. They must be tired of playing other peoples songs anyway.. Go for it fellas!!  It will be tough but Gn'R will be fine without you! ;)

I see what you did there. That was funny. :lol: +1 for your post. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, because he is just a random drummer with no affiliation to Guns N' Roses. 

well, at least he plays GN'R songs way better than that Frank dude, doesn't he?

which in fact isn't much, is it?

i suppose any random drummer that is humble enough not to mess with classic, timeless drumming can play GN'R better than Frank

Yeah, this Frank dude apparently has an unstoppable urge to add his "touch" to guns n roses songs!

on the other hand, the slash drummer wouldn't do much replacing Frank if axl & slash ever decide to write and record music again as "guns n' roses"

because he seems to be unable to come up with any good drum parts and/or any good drum arrangements

on the contrary

just check slash last album