Slash: "There's material and stuff going on already for a new record."

16 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

So is Slash the new Fortus? Keep pumping "new music" optimism into the media, even though Axl is the one in control at the end of the day. 

Although at least in this case, I have a bit more hope because it is Slash of all people, I feel like it is different now.   Slash and Duff were there from the start, had creative pull and input throughout their tenure, and are proven workhorses seeing how much new music they have come out with.  If Slash says there is a good chance of a new album, I believe him and take it more seriously than every Fortus interview combined

I am cautiously optimistic currently

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Although at least in this case, I have a bit more hope because it is Slash of all people, I feel like it is different now.   Slash and Duff were there from the start, had creative pull and input throughout their tenure, and are proven workhorses seeing how much new music they have come out with.  If Slash says there is a good chance of a new album, I believe him and take is more seriously than every Fortus interview combined

The problem is Slash was also pumping optimistic stuff into the media back in the mid-90's before he quit the band. He is great at being a nice guy. The reality is we all know Axl is ridiculously slow at releasing music. The Illusion albums took much longer to come out than Slash or Duff or Izzy probably expected and it was primarily due to Axl dicking around. He dicked around so much in the mid-90's that Slash and Duff finally quit. 

12 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

The problem is Slash was also pumping optimistic stuff into the media back in the mid-90's before he quit the band. He is great at being a nice guy. The reality is we all know Axl is ridiculously slow at releasing music. The Illusion albums took much longer to come out than Slash or Duff or Izzy probably expected and it was primarily due to Axl dicking around. He dicked around so much in the mid-90's that Slash and Duff finally quit. 

Right but Slash was also doing some mad shit-talking on Axl and Paul Huge as well, some of them it was funny to see how much he couldn't not express his frustration.  Of course he was also on many different substances back then that gave him loose lips lol

All I know is I remain cautiously optimistic, I feel like Slash and Duff back in GNR and those three having a healthier relationship will bode well both on the band overall and the creative aspects.  Seeing Axl more confident and "out" more lately like the Foo Fighters guest spot, Billy Joel, Axl/DC, the Looney Tunes thing.  He seems to have a renewed confidence since Slash and Duff returned, it will be a new beast having the big 3 carrying the burden of a new album rather than just Axl himself

I mean I guess all in all, all of our posts no matter what stance are just guesswork based on people we don't know and relationships we don't know the inner workings of.  But based on the last 2 years of GNR I feel more hopeful than ever regarding new music - even if it is a second Looney Tunes song :lol:

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 3:33 PM, RocketTess said:

The positivity in this forum is really awesome! GNR must be very pleased with such happy fanbase 🤘🏼 

Hope you all noticed the irony....

Just wondering why you still hang around if they are that bad?

I'd say this is the most loyal fanbase in music considering the lack of output over the last 25 years. People have a ton of passion for what GN'R was 30 years ago and a lot of us are not willing to let go of that. I don't think anyone is out of their mind to be very skeptical regarding new music. Believe it when you see it. That's the correct approach for this band. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately there are curtain factors not being considered. Thats the current state of a label or distribution deal wheather it be a major label, independent or the creation of there own method to release new music. The industry has changed and individually the big 3 have experienced and viewed that change over the years. Most artists from the same era have taken ownership of their material and distribution methods no longer needing major label support. 

You also need to factor in sales via a hard copy album or digital are no longer the major selling point they once were. Touring and merchandise is were the money is today. 

I would also suggest the platforms available to rock music is no longer available as pop, hip hop and EDM music is the majority now in terms of air play and preference of todays youth market. 

Yes us rock and GNR fans will buy a new album but that's not enough to make a return on money spent to produce the end product for a major label. 

I also cannot see these guys spending 6 months in a studio environment together. That's why i personally believe new music has been created in some form, because in todays world you dont hand deliver DAT tapes anymore, you can email or send an audio file via a number of methods of your contributions to the project recorded at home or from an external studio. 

These guys are being smart taking the time required to have greater control over their work and distribution of that work to prevent outside interests from becoming involved i.e record label executives. 

I think the making of CD affected Axl in terms of the outside influences of others and i think he learnt not to go down that path ever again. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Right but Slash was also doing some mad shit-talking on Axl and Paul Huge as well, some of them it was funny to see how much he couldn't not express his frustration.  Of course he was also on many different substances back then that gave him loose lips lol

All I know is I remain cautiously optimistic, I feel like Slash and Duff back in GNR and those three having a healthier relationship will bode well both on the band overall and the creative aspects.  Seeing Axl more confident and "out" more lately like the Foo Fighters guest spot, Billy Joel, Axl/DC, the Looney Tunes thing.  He seems to have a renewed confidence since Slash and Duff returned, it will be a new beast having the big 3 carrying the burden of a new album rather than just Axl himself

I mean I guess all in all, all of our posts no matter what stance are just guesswork based on people we don't know and relationships we don't know the inner workings of.  But based on the last 2 years of GNR I feel more hopeful than ever regarding new music - even if it is a second Looney Tunes song :lol:

2 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

Unfortunately there are curtain factors not being considered. Thats the current state of a label or distribution deal wheather it be a major label, independent or the creation of there own method to release new music. The industry has changed and individually the big 3 have experienced and viewed that change over the years. Most artists from the same era have taken ownership of their material and distribution methods no longer needing major label support. 

You also need to factor in sales via a hard copy album or digital are no longer the major selling point they once were. Touring and merchandise is were the money is today. 

I would also suggest the platforms available to rock music is no longer available as pop, hip hop and EDM music is the majority now in terms of air play and preference of todays youth market. 

Yes us rock and GNR fans will buy a new album but that's not enough to make a return on money spent to produce the end product for a major label. 

I also cannot see these guys spending 6 months in a studio environment together. That's why i personally believe new music has been created in some form, because in todays world you dont hand deliver DAT tapes anymore, you can email or send an audio file via a number of methods of your contributions to the project recorded at home or from an external studio. 

These guys are being smart taking the time required to have greater control over their work and distribution of that work to prevent outside interests from becoming involved i.e record label executives. 

I think the making of CD affected Axl in terms of the outside influences of others and i think he learnt not to go down that path ever again. 

These thoughts mirror much of what I have said elsewhere on the thread. I think fundamentally it’s clear SOMETHING is happening and they are right to try and keep it on the down-low because as soon as someone say there will definitely be an album then the pressure multiplies and every question will be ‘when when when’.  And god forbid they miss a suggested release date!

• Like 1

On 18/02/2019 at 3:38 AM, Creed said:

with fortus, frank and melissa the album will fail...so...

Pretty big call. How many people have been to see this lineup the world over? 

Bottom line is this, Axl, Slash n Duff will generate more than enough interest for any album they drop to do alright. 

The rest of the band could be slotted in with anybody and the average punter would still buy the album provided Axl and slash were on it! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

So is Slash the new Fortus? Keep pumping "new music" optimism into the media, even though Axl is the one in control at the end of the day. 

Yes Slash and Fortus are the same and from now on you can call them Slortus

Edited by vloors
  • Haha 3

I am still skeptical but I think Slash’s comments hold more weight than anyone else’s.  I don’t think he would say this if there wasn’t something at least stirring.  At the end of the day, the same problem still exists as there always has been, Axl.   If this tour and reunion doesn’t get him motivated, nothing will.  

• Like 2

People should ask Duff about this, nobody asked Duff and he seems to be the most reliable of then all, being one of the big three and, probably, smartest business wise. 

But it seems nobody wants to takeDuff view on the subject. :shrugs:

Edited by default_

30 minutes ago, default_ said:

People should ask Duff about this, nobody asked Duff and he seems to be the most reliable of then all, being one of the big three and, probably, smartest business wise. 

I think no matter who you ask, the word "hopefully" is going to be in the answer. That one word is what catches my attention every time someone in the band makes any statement. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, default_ said:

Not sure you would get much of anything from Duff. Slash is traditionally the “spokesman” for the band (when he’s been in)- and I think Axl/Duff prefer it that way.

It is a smart play IMHO when you consider Slash almost always gets a fair shake from the media...

1 hour ago, default_ said:

When he was asked a few months ago, he didn't say anything specific, just "hints":

I don't think he'd say more now.

Edited by Blackstar

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Twinfoot said:

I did my best to quickly translate the first part of the interview into english. Bare in mind it's 5:30 am in Germany right now and I am tired as f*ck. :D If I can I will translate the rest after some sleep. Enjoy! 

Slash, everlasting guitar god, has a weakness for gloomy stories. Here, he talks about werewolves, vampires and defibrillators – whilst hinting at a new Guns N' Roses record.

Before it can start, a bodyguard has to inspect the suite in the deluxe hotel in Frankfurt. The muscular man looks around, his voice polite but distinct. “Salt-and-Vinegar-Chips” would be nice, he says before disappearing – telling us the guy we're waiting for will be there in five minutes.

Slight semblance of panic on the hotel employee's face: all the munchies you could think of were there, except for salt-and-vinegar-chips. And those aren't easy to get in five minutes.

Enter Slash. Rock-'n'-roll-eccentric and guitar legend who has been reunited with his hardrock band Guns N' Roses for over two years now. Their respective reunion tour is now over. But because Slash doesn't like to get bored, he plays more concerts with his solo band The Conspirators. He doesn't wear his notorious top-hat this afternoon, contrary to a pair of sunglasses, his wild mane barely tamed by a beanie. Chips? Well he doesn't want those right now anyway. But he would very much like a coffee he adds politely. It takes some time for the coffee machine to do its duty and fill half a cup. Slash then asks if he could have it double. He laughs as he sees the worried face of the journalist who fears running out of time for the interview. “Don't you worry. Once I drank this, I'll talk much faster.” he says “We'll make up for the time then easily.”.

I: “Slash, you have lived the rock-'n'-roll excess to the maximum for long enough. After overdoses, near-death-experiences, you had...”

Slash: “Yeah, that was a long time ago.”

I: “15 years ago you told us, you had experienced such problems only when tours were over. Now you just a two-year-comeback-tour with Guns N' Roses and went on with your solo band afterwards. Do you always have to work to not crash?”

Slash: “That's what's best for me. It is not stressful for me to go directly from Perth, Australia to Frankfurt, Germany and continue to play. It's like everything's in the flow. What else should I do? Every time I finished a tour, it ended badly. Sure, after working for a long time, I also like to come home and not have to do anything. That only lasts for about a week, though. After that I go crazy, if I don't have a million things I could do.

I: “With Guns N' Roses you played for 60.000 to 100.000 people, but with your Conspirators you play to 3000 fans in the Stadthalle Offenbach. Does that bother you?”

Slash: “No, because I have always played these small arenas and concert halls before the comeback. It was more the other way around that I had to readjust from there when it all went back to stadiums with Guns in 2016.”

I: “Axl Rose and you were seen as the biggest wranglers of rock for over 20 years, before reconciling for Coachella and a follow-up tour. Many wonder how you could bare with each other for more than two years-”

Slash: “Seriously, the last tour was the most fun I had with Guns N' Roses since the 80's. Not in this lifetime would I have thought to have so much fun with them again. For the first time, I felt something like intimacy at the stadium shows. The big Open Airs of the 90's made me feel disconnected from the massive audiences. I can't really explain my different perception, though. There were definitely totally different vibes from the audiences this time.”

I: “Maybe because no-one could believe seeing Rose and you together on stage again?”

Slash: “Could be, yes. Maybe back in the day, fans weren't really sure what to expect from our concerts.”

I: “The frontman would disappear from stage, coming on stage hours too late or get in fights with fans...”

Slash: “Today, the fans just want to see us together again.”

I: “They say, you're planning a new record with Guns N' Roses. Is there any truth to it?”

Slash: “At the moment, there is a lot of activity focusing on it.”

I: “What does that mean?”

Slash: “The focus clearly lies on it. Most definitely. A lot of energy is put towards the idea of making a new album possible. We will see. Until it happens, I continue to work with my other band, the Conspirators, which is also a good, authentic rock-'n'-roll band.”

I: “Let's talk about your solo songs. An early Conspirators song “Beneath the Savage Sun” is written from the perspective of an elephant hunted by poachers. How do you come up with something like that?”

Slash: “Our singer Myles Kennedy and I had visited South Africa and other African countries several times. We saw many elephants and informed ourselves through animal welfarists about the problem with poachers. That stuck with us for longer. Look, I'm not a big animal rights activist or something. Although I do support many animal welfare organizations and am member on the board of the Los Angeles zoo, I do not hold speeches or read any statements. Nevertheless, I condemn poaching, when it comes to slaughtering elephants because of greed for ivory.”

Thanks for the translation. The new album is gonna happen - to many positive comments to suggest otherwise. 👍

• Like 3

On 2/18/2019 at 5:38 AM, SoulMonster said:

But yeah, he is still a good guitarist, at least in the studio (his incessant noodling bored me at my GN'R show last summer and I only endured half a show with SMKC the year before

This kind of pompous take always makes me SMH. Noodling better describes the banal takes by this sites resident critics who couldn’t dream to produce anything remotely as exciting as what SLASH does night in and night out. That’s exactly why he’s doing what he’s doing for a profession and why we come here to talk about it. 

I swear, it seems as if many fans expect the band to do whatever they would do if they were in the band and if they don’t, it sucks. And they complain about it excessively and endlessly. Cool. Well, now it my turn to criticize and complain about these shitty takes.