Slash: "There's material and stuff going on already for a new record."

3 minutes ago, thunderram said:

This kind of pompous take always makes me SMH. Noodling better describes the banal takes by this sites resident critics who couldn’t dream to produce anything remotely as exciting as what SLASH does night in and night out

I simply don't find half of it exciting. I much prefer Slash back in the 80s when he didn't try to cram as many notes into his solos as he seems to do today. Maybe he was more restricted back then due to not being as technical? I don't know, I simply just prefer his old approach with fewer and more sustained notes; more bluesy. But hey, if you like what he does today then more power to you. There is no right or wrong here.

• Like 1

it's coming sooner than later....late 2020 is my guess for a CD follow-up Gn'R album featuring Slash/Duff's contributions on it. The an epic 2021/2022 world tour all over again to prove the world that true Rn'R never goes out of fashion.  

6 minutes ago, trqster said:

it's coming sooner than later....late 2020 is my guess for a CD follow-up Gn'R album featuring Slash/Duff's contributions on it. The an epic 2021/2022 world tour all over again to prove the world that true Rn'R never goes out of fashion.  

I would count on it too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twinfoot said:

Here is the rest of the interview. Enjoy! 

_____

I: “What of that did you experience?”

Slash: “We met with animal welfarists there, but we didn't see any poachers. Instead a lot of elephants. Whilst a visit to Tanzania we had a confrontation. We were driving through a national park, when suddenly an angry male elephant came running towards us. It was dangerous because I didn't know exactly if he was serious. We were in an inconvenient position with our car, where could not have reversed quick enough to get out of the way. As it turned out, the elephant just bluffed. It seemed he wanted to make sure we got his point. We then slowly left his sight. I can tell you – that scared the shit out of me.

I: “On Instagram, it is you who scares others. You show werewolves, vampires, zombies, post quotes by Poe and congratulate Stephen King for his birthday...”

Slash: “A lot of things like that, yeah. (laughs) I'm also interested in that stuff in real life. In 2013, I founded a production company to make horror movies. “Nothing Left to Fear” was the first one. It is of course an ironic title – there is lot to fear in that movie. I still have to shiver to this day. Back then, I asked David Bowie to play a priest in it. His health was really bad at the time, so unfortunately it didn't happen. I didn't really know how sick he really was. Since then I worked on many follow-up projects, with a few deals being made just recently. You know, I always have to do something.”

I: “Stephen King once told me what drives him to write horror stories. Everyone knows they have to die. Horror stories are an exercise for the unfathomable – we scare ourselves safely, knowing nothing can happen while reading.”

Slash: “Well, that is a really interesting take on the horror genre.”

I: “What fascinates you with horror?”

Slash: “The fact that gloomy stories are still kind of a taboo always fascinated me. Other than that horror gives me an adrenaline rush – if something scares me to death. I love horror for similar reasons I love Rock'n'Roll for: Because both are directed against a mainstream way of thinking. Many horror stories are composed very clever because they challenge your imagination. But still horror is kind of the ugly duckling genre. But still it has fascinated me since I was little.”

I: “In his book 'Doctor Sleep' King examined the realm between life and death. You told doctors similar things, when they brought you back to life after pronouncing you clinically dead after a drug cocktail. Does that creep you out when thinking about it sometimes?”

Slash: “There are moments when I think to myself 'Man, how did I survive that?'. But basically I don't really think about what happened back then.”

I: “Following those excesses you began to have heart problems in your mid 30's and got a defibrillator. How do you feel today?”

Slash: “That was also a thing I was really lucky with. My heart is fine today. My defibrillator isn't even activated at the moment. I'm in good health and have left that phase behind.” (pauses for a bit then grabs his neck and screams AAAAARGH and lets himself sink into the armchair – and laughs).

I: “Well, you do have humor. Slash, guitar heroes like you, had to make way for Hip-Hop artists that seem to fascinate the youth more.”

Slash: “I know, my son who is 14 is really into Hip-Hop. He records tracks that way with beats and everything.”

I: “Do you feel like one of the last of your kind?”

Slash: “Well, playing guitar is just my thing. That's how I started, it drives me, since I've been a kid. Naturally, I noticed how tastes in music have shifted. But that's just normal. Every young generation has to make the time period it grows up in their own. Today's kids want to experience a kick, like I did when I first listened to The Kinks or freaking Led Zeppelin. Whatever new is being developed – I can only watch as it happens. But do you want to know what really grinds my gears?”

I: “What is it?”

Slash: “The missing integrity of the music industry was there all along when I started. But there was a bigger will to take risks. We wanted to express ourselves in our own way and fight the commercial industry. Today it seems, many young musicians want to be part of the commercial standard as soon as possible. Many say: 'How can we get commercially successful? Tell us how?' Hahaha. I'd say it was a bit different with us back then.”

Interesting interview 😊you make great job in the translation  👍

16 hours ago, Twinfoot said:

I: “They say, you're planning a new record with Guns N' Roses. Is there any truth to it?”

Slash: “At the moment, there is a lot of activity focusing on it.”

I: “What does that mean?”

Slash: “The focus clearly lies on it. Most definitely. A lot of energy is put towards the idea of making a new album possible. We will see. Until it happens, I continue to work with my other band, the Conspirators, which is also a good, authentic rock-'n'-roll band.”

Yeah, GNR is not actively working on a record. It sounds like Axl is mulling over whether he wants to do one, how he wants it to sound, etc. and everyone is waiting on him to get in a rehearsal room. Duff/Slash/Richard seem calculated in their responses, being vague but leaving the possibility with a slight tone of hopefulness. I think they're hoping Axl relents as much as the fans are. Though they don't have financial incentive to push him along.

I wouldn't be surprised if in 1-2 years from now these statements from Slash turn into, "Yeah we really tried, but we just couldn't get it to work."

And wtf do these sentences mean?! 'The focus clearly lies on it,' 'a lot of energy is put towards the idea'... :lol: It's all bullshit speak. Energy being put toward the idea?! Get in a fucking rehearsal room and jam ideas, Axl. As long as the focus is on thinking about a record, it's not going to happen.

• Sad 1

Both ''there is a lot of activity focusing on it'' and ''a lot of energy is put towards the idea of making a new album possible'' have more than a whiff of, ''we're going to start looking very seriously at what we're doing in that regard''.

It is the language of continuous deferment. If Richard Fortus, who is an expert in this language, wanted to buy a pint of milk he wouldn't go and buy a pint of milk: he would think seriously about looking into the possibility of potentially buying a pint of milk. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5.3.2019 at 11:30 PM, OmarBradley said:

As long as the focus is on thinking about a record, it's not going to happen.

Slash and Duff could take a philosophical approach to this subject. Like "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" - The  Gn'R version: 

If they think about the album happening, but there's no one in the studio recording it, does it make a sound?  

I think we all know the answer to that though... 

• Haha 1

What response do we realistically expect though?

If Slash said, "Yeah, we are definitely doing an album, its coming out in 2020"

All of a sudden, headlines in all of the media would read that a Guns album is due next year.

That creates a lot of pressure that they just don't need. 

• Like 1

On 06/03/2019 at 8:52 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Both ''there is a lot of activity focusing on it'' and ''a lot of energy is put towards the idea of making a new album possible'' have more than a whiff of, ''we're going to start looking very seriously at what we're doing in that regard''.

It is the language of continuous deferment. If Richard Fortus, who is an expert in this language, wanted to buy a pint of milk he wouldn't go and buy a pint of milk: he would think seriously about looking into the possibility of potentially buying a pint of milk. 

No doubt that the “activity” is coming from the record label and whoever else wants to make more $.  The big three could never release another song ever and comfortably retire. So at this point it would only be for the fans

40 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

No doubt that the “activity” is coming from the record label and whoever else wants to make more $.  The big three could never release another song ever and comfortably retire. So at this point it would only be for the fans

Apparently, Axl has secluded himself to pore over CDII material to include on a new album. That's according to Niven, who relayed the alleged info from Slash, though. Honestly, i think the fact that Duff and Slash release solo projects show that they don't do it for the money. I'm sure Axl doesn't want his work wasting away in a vault either.