Slash: "There's material and stuff going on already for a new record."

23 hours ago, itsprettytiedup said:

Slash recently spoke to Japanese music critic and radio personality Masa Ito of TVK's "Rock City" about the possibility of a new studio LP from GUNS N' ROSES in the not-too-distant future.

"Axl, Duff, myself and Richard have all talked about… there's material and stuff going on already for a new record," he confirmed (see video below). "It's just, with GUNS N' ROSES, you don't go, 'Oh, there is a plan, and it's gonna be like this,' because that's not how it works. So, basically, the only real answer to give is we're hoping to put a new record out, and we'll just see what happens when it happens."

FULL TRANSLATE

It would be the first GN'R album ever recorded with a clean and sober Slash. Duff too, actually. That in itself is pretty exciting.

I know people are going to say that Appetite was recorded with the mandate that no drugs were allowed while they were in the studio recording. That may be true, but technically, all five of them had drugs in their system 24/7 at that time, so it doesn't really count.

7 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

It would be the first GN'R album ever recorded with a clean and sober Slash. Duff too, actually. That in itself is pretty exciting.

I know people are going to say that Appetite was recorded with the mandate that no drugs were allowed while they were in the studio recording. That may be true, but technically, all five of them had drugs in their system 24/7 at that time, so it doesn't really count.

I was just thinking that myself. When these guys last recorded together they were about 30 and addled with drug, drink and mental health issues - now they are completely sober and older which will be a change to the original days.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RONIN said:

"Slash may sound like the De La Hoya but he's the fuckin Vargas." - W. Axl Pose

So to be clear, Richard Fortus, the guy with zero writing credits - who played 3rd fiddle to Bucket and Finck with barely any creative input on Chinese Democracy - as per Slash, this dude is apparently involved with the long awaited follow up record to the legendary AFD and UYI. However, this album may or may not come out ostensibly since GNR has no plan or schedule to complete and release it. Meanwhile, Izzy, Steven and Matt, all of whom remain available, are left to twist in the wind. Brilliant.

These clowns literally couldn't find their asses with both hands. Why do they even bother? Just release the 90s shit and retire already. 

Slash has publicly said that he likes Richard, and the guy has been a part of the band for what now...17 years?

We have to face facts--Izzy can't be counted on to show up and record his parts (see "Locomotive"), and has no interest for being on the road for extended periods of time. 

I'm not saying Richard is going to do anything to make people forget about Izzy; this isn't a case like when Joe Walsh replaced Bernie Leadon in The Eagles, and everyone embraced Joe Walsh/forgot about Bernie Leadon. But the guy's been a dutiful employee for a long time, and handles Izzy's spot just fine.

Meanwhile, how could anyone believe Adler could handle being back in GN'R permanently? Never mind the back issues, the strokes, the heart attacks. Adler would be a liability simply because he'd likely be the guy to fall hard off the wagon and relapse into heavy drug use. And as for Sorum? He and Axl don't like each other all that much, which has been documented. Axl would rather have a guy who knows his role, and shuts his mouth.

• Like 4

How can you people assume I hate the band from my comment? Lol

GNR is actually one of my fave bands, I even like Chinese Democracy, its just frustrating that nothing happens and that was my actual reaction at the time I read the Slash quote. I dont believe anyone who posts here hates the band, it doesnt really make sense to spend time, hours, days and years on a forum of something you dont like.

Its not because my opinions differ from yours that Im less of a fan than you. 

I dont need to lick Axls balls to be a GNR fan, sorry. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, RussTCB said:

How funny that the person accusing this forum of complaining too much and being keyboard warriors is actually the person doing those things.

I think you and a few other people have a hard time differentiating between calling a spade a spade and being a blind follower willing to believe anything. 

:lol: Blind followers??? Wow. Ok. Whatever man. I just don't get why so many people here are complaining so much. If it's not one thing; it's something else like drama. 

I just want to enjoy talking about my favorite band. I hear enough complaining at work. I don't want to hear more complaining of something that I enjoy. If there is legitimate stuff then I can understand. However, a lot of stuff here is just complaining or drama for the sake of it. I kinda wish Downzy would be able to moderate a bit more. In the limited chat that I have had with him, he comes across like a down to earth guy who is logical. 

we had rumours about Wichita lineman and a T rex song being studio recorded, and Slash/Duff recording their bits on Atlas Shrugged.

now 4tus and Slash have made their recent comments.

i think something is in the works. not getting my hopes up to much but something is brewing.

an album with a mix of covers and chinese leftovers with nothing or very little newly written is my guess. 

21 minutes ago, Draguns said:

:lol: Blind followers??? Wow. Ok. Whatever man. I just don't get why so many people here are complaining so much. If it's not one thing; it's something else like drama. 

I just want to enjoy talking about my favorite band. I hear enough complaining at work. I don't want to hear more complaining of something that I enjoy. If there is legitimate stuff then I can understand. However, a lot of stuff here is just complaining or drama for the sake of it. I kinda wish Downzy would be able to moderate a bit more. In the limited chat that I have had with him, he comes across like a down to earth guy who is logical. 

I honestly think you have a completely wrong opinion of why people post their opinions. 

Not everyone is going to agree with you regarding any art, let alone specifically with this band who is so divisive to begin with. 

18 minutes ago, donny said:

an album with a mix of covers and chinese leftovers with nothing or very little newly written is my guess. 

I think a new release almost has to be Chinese leftovers. I don't think Axl would willingly scrap years of work. Plus it's just easier than writing something from scratch. 

Just now, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I think a new release almost has to be Chinese leftovers. I don't think Axl would willingly scrap years of work. Plus it's just easier than writing something from scratch. 

adding to that. CD did not cost 13 million. that was for 3 albums of material. that leaves 2 albums or 8 millions dollars worth of material sat gathering dust and someone will want their money back. Slash/Duff adding their parts over starting from scratch makes sense. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I honestly think you have a completely wrong opinion of why people post their opinions. 

Not everyone is going to agree with you regarding any art, let alone specifically with this band who is so divisive to begin with. 

Ditto with you. My honest opinion is that whatever happened with that guy threatening people should have been dealt behind the scenes or law enforcement handling the situation. Not on a public forum like this. It's not my business to read about it on here. 

I totally get what you are saying. However, please listen to what myself and others are saying regarding how much complaining goes on here for nothing. I want to talk about a band that I have LOVED listening to since October 1987.  We may disagree on some points but I would like to agree on most points.  That's all.  

6 minutes ago, Draguns said:

I totally get what you are saying. However, please listen to what myself and others are saying regarding how much complaining goes on here for nothing. I want to talk about a band that I have LOVED listening to since October 1987.  We may disagree on some points but I would like to agree on most points.  That's all.  

I really do hear what you're saying. I just think it's a matter of seeing what you want to. Is there a lot of complaining? Yes of course. However, much of it is justified IMO. I truly don't think many people complain just to complain. 

Having said that, I of course love me some GNR! I mention a lot of things I don't like about them, but I sure do love them overall. I'm more than happy to contribute to all of the conversations that are postiive, for sure :)

3 hours ago, Sosso said:

The three of them should start a side project. That's the most realistic way to get new music. 

Velvet Revolver 2 starts here! :lol:

No joke, I could actually see this being a thing one day when Axl's given up on singing or they've given up on him.

I definitely give some credence to the fact it's Slash saying this but it's not that different from what Axl said at the China Exchange and what Richard has been saying for almost a decade. We all know the 3 of them (Slash/Duff/ Richard) could rustle up the basis for an album in 6 months or less but it's how long Axl takes to do his thing and whether it will ever be good enough for him to call finished. It doesn't seem that there are any external pressures this time around that might force his hand to release as there has been in the past.

The music industry has changed, the markets have changed, money is in touring now. The primary drive for big legacy acts to release music these days is purely for the love of it and for the fanbase (casuals will show up for nostalgia shows regardless). The big question is how much of those two things still motivate Axl? I flip flop about on that answer.

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

No one here hates the band. They may really dislike how the band handles its business, but they wouldn't be on this forum if they weren't GNR fans. 

Not everyone agrees with you on this. In fact, it’s been proven false many times. Over the years I’ve read people say that they post here not because of the band but because of the community. They no longer like, care about or support the band but don’t want to leave community and online friendships they’ve made. 

So what you’re suggesting just isn’t true.

16 minutes ago, alfierose said:

The music industry has changed, the markets have changed, money is in touring now. The primary drive for big legacy acts to release music these days is purely for the love of it and for the fanbase (casuals will show up for nostalgia shows regardless). The big question is how much of those two things still motivate Axl? I flip flop about on that answer.

Sadly this is true. A new album would do nothing to move tickets. Its just the truth. 

25 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Don’t you also allow fans to question the motives of other fans by asking an honest question? Only seems fair.

If that was the intent of the post in question, sure. That wasn't their point though. 

20 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Not everyone agrees with you on this. In fact, it’s been proven false many times. Over the years I’ve read people say that they post here not because of the band but because of the community. They no longer like, care about or support the band but don’t want to leave community and online friendships they’ve made. 

So what you’re suggesting just isn’t true.

They may not be fans of the band currently, but they are fans of the band in general. 

I read Slash's quotes and an hour later read "CONFIRMED: New Guns N'Roses album in the works" on another story. That's why they don't do a lot of media.

The new music update is pretty much what I expected. They're open to it and kicking some things around without any firm plan to do it. But hearing Slash talk about how positive the NITL experience was was cool. 

12 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Also, it's hilarious to me watching people get triggered because Fortus is involved with a new record. I wish I had the energy to be upset about something as trivial as which rhythm guitarist plays on an album. 

It's not hard to understand.

Izzy was a co-founder and had his hand print all over the Appetite - as did the other 4. He's as much a part of the "trinity". Only because Guns N' Roses could be characterized as less a band and more of a revolving motel door near a highway exit that Izzy's involvement and departure seems to be par for the course with the circus act of the last twenty plus years.

Izzy may be "disposable" when it comes to ticket sales - but there isn't much evidence that there is any equity in Fortus' songwriting ability. 

We'll know when the album comes out....

43 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

It's not hard to understand.

Izzy was a co-founder and had his hand print all over the Appetite - as did the other 4. He's as much a part of the "trinity". Only because Guns N' Roses could be characterized as less a band and more of a revolving motel door near a highway exit that Izzy's involvement and departure seems to be par for the course with the circus act of the last twenty plus years.

Izzy may be "disposable" when it comes to ticket sales - but there isn't much evidence that there is any equity in Fortus' songwriting ability. 

We'll know when the album comes out....

Creatively Izzy was way more vital than Duff

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Are you counting Axl's Looney tunes appearance?

yes. Slash 12 on the album plus one duet. Duffs 13 track nonsense and Axls one looney track. 

the big 3 have had minimum 27 tracks recorded/released during the past 12 months.