Back in Time: Las Vegas 2000

Hey Andrew, I'm the Jan you mentioned in your post. My memories of that show are similar. I was 19 at the time and flew down from Canada as well. I ran a site called the GNR MP3 Exchange in the late 90's, and later gnrlive.com. In the weeks following the show I remember negotiating with the guy who bootlegged it, and the first MP3 of The Blues to appear on the internet debuted on my website. Some of the people you mentioned in your post were also instrumental in getting the proshot bootleg to surface a year or two ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, loosecannon3 said:

Ok - reading all these posts about the VMAs has me thinking back to Las Vegas December 31, 2000. This was a fun night. Backing up a little here, I had decided to fly to Las Vegas on my own as a 22 year old to see the return of Axl Rose. I was (and still am) a huge GNR fan at the time and spent a lot of my time on the Guns N Roses newsgroup (who remembers newsgroups?) 

Andrew

I remember that! Remember that idiot who said that Axl was calling the album "Sugar Fix" and everyone bought it? 

20 hours ago, Janabis said:

Hey Andrew, I'm the Jan you mentioned in your post. My memories of that show are similar. I was 19 at the time and flew down from Canada as well. I ran a site called the GNR MP3 Exchange in the late 90's, and later gnrlive.com. In the weeks following the show I remember negotiating with the guy who bootlegged it, and the first MP3 of The Blues to appear on the internet debuted on my website. Some of the people you mentioned in your post were also instrumental in getting the proshot bootleg to surface a year or two ago.

Hi Jan

i actually remember meeting you at Mandalay Bay.  Your site was awesome back in the day. I would argue it was the first site that actually posted mp3 files for people to download. You introduced me to Dead Flowers and got me into collecting bootlegs almost obsessively. I think you were from Alberta. 

Im glad you posted. A lot has changed for us since then. I’m married with two kids now. How about you?

Please explain who was involved in getting the show released and how they did it?

52 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Please do not request links on the forum. 

The fact that people can't even ask where to find this show is completely absurd. It's already 'out there'... if some random GNR fan like myself has access to it then anyone else who posts on this board should be able to find it just as easily, even if we can't post it openly.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The fact that people can't even ask where to find this show is completely absurd. It's already 'out there'... if some random GNR fan like myself has access to it then anyone else who posts on this board should be able to find it just as easily, even if we can't post it openly.

Trust me, we totally agree with you. We just have to protect the forum legally though. Believe me, we know it sucks :/

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Trust me, we totally agree with you. We just have to protect the forum legally though. Believe me, we know it sucks :/

I get that aspect, that's why we can't post leaks publicly... but why remove posts where people are asking for links? It's not illegal to ask where to find a copy of a (almost 20 year old) concert, right?

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Basically it boils down to what downzy said, which sucks. 

What's funny is that I was on a forum for another artists today and I saw someone ask for a link to demos for an album that came out in 1982. 

Then someone else posted a link out in the open and I was able to download the demos. I heard some stuff for the first time in my life and it was awesome. I have a massive amount of that artists material that I've paid for, so I didn't have any problem with not paying for these demos. Especially since they're not available commercially anyway. 

I really made me think about how twisted a very few people in the GNR online community are. The fan base of this other artist doesn't have a few people ruining it for everyone else, so I was able to have a great experience. 

Man... I really wish a couple of psychos wouldn't ruin the entire online experience for everyone else. 

Personally i think the whole copyright thing is bullshit. Downloading songs from whatever site in my view is no different to tape trading like we did in the 80s and 90s. Probably something lost on lars when he took on napster.  Record companies could have made money on downloading but were to slow to make money and move with the times, and us fans now pay for it with having to deal with a bunch of legal hoopla.

1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

Personally i think the whole copyright thing is bullshit. Downloading songs from whatever site in my view is no different to tape trading like we did in the 80s and 90s. Probably something lost on lars when he took on napster.  Record companies could have made money on downloading but were to slow to make money and move with the times, and us fans now pay for it with having to deal with a bunch of legal hoopla.

I couldn't agree more. However you and I aren't on the hook for the legalities, no matter how ridiculous they are. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK back to my original post, are any other guys other than Jan still out there from the Las Vegas 2001 show?  Does anyone know where they may be?  It was a special time back time and lots of us fans bonded through our love of GNR.  Would love to hear how everyone is doing.

I was around back then and remember following the show's online.  I posted a lot on the gnronline forum before it got shut down because of somebody posting Axl's phone number.  After that everybody was scrambling to find a new place to post.  

I also remember posting on the 2000 intentions gnr board which became a shit show.  I don't remember much but I just remember a girl named Lydia causing a lot of drama.

After that i went to htgth and now I'm here lol.  Crazy to think I've been posting on gnr boards for 20 years now

• Like 1

On 16/02/2019 at 5:34 PM, Janabis said:

i remember GNR MP3 Exchange

are you the person who used the name "mrice"?

I was at the 01-01-01 show.  I remember waiting in line to get in and completely missed any sort of New Years count down. It was a crazy time because we really had very little information. I didn’t know who was in the band.  Just knew that  slash wasn’t. I had no idea about any of the new songs or even if any new songs would be played.  The show ended up being a blast.  The highlight was the welcome back chant .. the lowlight was bucket heads nunchuck solo.  Hearing the blues for the first time was also great.  The song sounded like it belonged with other illusion tracks.  It’s still one of my fav Chinese democracy songs.  

On 18/02/2019 at 2:30 AM, RussTCB said:

Basically it boils down to what downzy said, which sucks. 

What's funny is that I was on a forum for another artists today and I saw someone ask for a link to demos for an album that came out in 1982. 

Then someone else posted a link out in the open and I was able to download the demos. I heard some stuff for the first time in my life and it was awesome. I have a massive amount of that artists material that I've paid for, so I didn't have any problem with not paying for these demos. Especially since they're not available commercially anyway. 

I really made me think about how twisted a very few people in the GNR online community are. The fan base of this other artist doesn't have a few people ruining it for everyone else, so I was able to have a great experience. 

Man... I really wish a couple of psychos wouldn't ruin the entire online experience for everyone else. 

Russ you are a decent admin with huge balls publicly sharing your criticism about the band and standing for justice. Not many GNR Forum admins out there have this mentality. In fact they are quite the opposite. 

Hats off...

• Thanks 2

Wow. Just thinking that if you take the position that the NITL line-up is merely the latest incarnation of Axl’s Chinese Guns (just with some Classic Members)- then that night was the public start of it all- and we’re in Year 19 of that effort. What an odyssey. Personally- I see NITL more as a “hybrid”-type thing (i.e. Chinese Guns + reunion/regrouping). Crazy to think about though. 

BTW only members present for all of the above? Axl n’ Dizzy...

57 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Russ you are a decent admin with huge balls publicly sharing your criticism about the band and standing for justice. Not many GNR Forum admins out there have this mentality. In fact they are quite the opposite. 

Hats off...

Thanks for saying that. I'm just trying to do the best I can lol. I know I make mistakes here and there in helping to run the site (spoiler alert: I'll make a lot more in the future) but I always have the fans and the forums best interest at heart. 

In this instance, I'm just so bummed that the fans of this band can't have anything nice. If the band doesn't want to release anything ever, then it would be great if we could at least trade old shows. That's how it works for every other fan base ever. Not for GNR fans though and it's really unbelievable to me. 

So many GNR fans would be more than happy to pay for ANY music. I don't even mean new music. This fan base has even offered suggestion after suggestion for ways we would pay to buy old shows (subscription services, straight digital downloads, etc) yet it always falls on deaf ears and we end up with shit like GNRair instead. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1