Back in Time: Las Vegas 2000

On 2019-02-22 at 1:09 PM, lost un the jungle said:

Hi Andrew, I just read your post and bacause of that I watched the entire concert of HOB 2000. It was a blast! in the end Axl slams the mic and then he comes back and says "who caught that mic better keep it", just a shame you couldn't grab it. Thanks for your post. Cesar from Argentina.

Oh yeah it was made so much worse when I watched the video and then he said that. lol Glad my post got you to watch the concert though.  My post also got me to watch it.  Fun memories!

On 2/20/2019 at 8:57 PM, Ericstacey said:

I went to 2 shows in 2002-it was different because you thought a bunch of new material was coming. And soon. I think it was my favorite time to be a fan of the band-91-93 was great also.

Yep. Saw them in ‘02 too. It was exciting for the reason you raise- but once they started catching crap for the ‘02 VMAs, and Vancouver almost all of the good vibes with the general public were suddenly gone, and everything became foreboding  IMHO.

I remember the Monday after the Philly riot weekend- my boss- who had Clear Channel (CC) contacts- basically telling me Guns was over, and CC would break Axl’s “legs” (legally & financially) before he ever took a stage again. Bleak days...

Ugh, 02.  I’ve told this story too many times.  I had 2nd row tickets to the show in South Carolina.  It would have been my first time seeing GNR and first time seeing an Appetite 5 member period.  My brother invited me to the MSG show but as I was living in North Carolina at the time I couldn’t make it.  Long story short after the riot GNR and the venues were saying the shows were on but Live Nation said it was off.  I called the venue and said please don’t make me drive 6 hours for this if it isn’t going to happen. Finally the woman on the phone felt sorry for me and said “all I can tell you is the band’s hotel reservations have been canceled”.  I said thank you and cancelled my plans. The following years were miserable as I thought for sure the band was done

The Vegas concert was cool and I’m happy I saw it but seeing it again on YouTube, Axls voice was clearly not what it was back in 1993. The rasp is totally not as powerful as what it was back then. Only in 2010 and with Axl/DC have we seen something similar. Do we think something happened to his voice or it truly is a case of a guy that went balls to the wall for 8 years (1985-1993) and who took a long break and never got it back to what it was?

31 minutes ago, loosecannon3 said:

The Vegas concert was cool and I’m happy I saw it but seeing it again on YouTube, Axls voice was clearly not what it was back in 1993. The rasp is totally not as powerful as what it was back then. Only in 2010 and with Axl/DC have we seen something similar. Do we think something happened to his voice or it truly is a case of a guy that went balls to the wall for 8 years (1985-1993) and who took a long break and never got it back to what it was?

He wasn't trying to sound like his UYI-era self though. It was a deliberate, new approach (if what he said in the China Exchange interview is to be believed). If anything, he sounds most similar to his pre-Appetite self, his voice at the HOB show resembles his '86 voice at parts IMO. It's high-pitched and clean but he could clearly sing with an edge when he wanted to. I think the UYI tour absolutely damaged his voice and his voice in '01-02 was both a result of that damage, and a conscious effort to avoid furthering that damage.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 6:16 AM, RussTCB said:

I'm not saying Axl's a saint, but in this case I'm sure the dude has no idea all of this has gone on. Also, it's worth noting that I wasn't saying TB are the psychos. 

I got to agree with this.  I mean he supposedly had tours booked without his knowledge, so this would seem to be something he wouldn't be told about.  I mean, I doubt he is trying to download or trade his old shows so he probably would know unless one if his henchmen told him.  

didn't someone talk to Del James about this?  I thought maybe Ms Metal did? wouldn't Del say something to Axl?

if I go to Duffs show in Philly in May I'll try to meet him after the show and ask him directly.  doubt he will answer me, but who knows?  

has anyone on this board  met a band member recently and asked them about this stuff?

4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He wasn't trying to sound like his UYI-era self though. It was a deliberate, new approach (if what he said in the China Exchange interview is to be believed). If anything, he sounds most similar to his pre-Appetite self, his voice at the HOB show resembles his '86 voice at parts IMO. It's high-pitched and clean but he could clearly sing with an edge when he wanted to. I think the UYI tour absolutely damaged his voice and his voice in '01-02 was both a result of that damage, and a conscious effort to avoid furthering that damage.

So axl hadnt sung at all between the last show in 93 to the HOB gig?.  and he didnt rehearse prior to the gig?.

16 hours ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Yep. Saw them in ‘02 too. It was exciting for the reason you raise- but once they started catching crap for the ‘02 VMAs, and Vancouver almost all of the good vibes with the general public were suddenly gone, and everything became foreboding  IMHO.

I remember the Monday after the Philly riot weekend- my boss- who had Clear Channel (CC) contacts- basically telling me Guns was over, and CC would break Axl’s “legs” (legally & financially) before he ever took a stage again. Bleak days...

I loved the 2002 Vma's, but I can understand at the same time people watching it and thinking "wtf is this".  I always felt things were never right after Philly and the long break until 2006. I liked the lineup, but I went with my older brother to a 2002 concert, who said it "was good, but its just not the same without Slash and Duff". 

11 hours ago, loosecannon3 said:

Listen Dead Flowers with Gilby the same year some months before (with rasp) and then suddenly he has a clear voice for HOB. This is because he had a throat surgery. I read it somewhere and evidence seems to be there...

36 minutes ago, lost un the jungle said:

Listen Dead Flowers with Gilby the same year some months before (with rasp) and then suddenly he has a clear voice for HOB. This is because he had a throat surgery. I read it somewhere and evidence seems to be there...

I don't think that live performance of Dead Flowers has ever been leaked/released? The only Axl + Gilby Dead Flowers I know of is the studio version from Pawnshop Guitars back in '94. 

Well.

This is interesting.

This is very very interesting.

If this is a fake, it's the most convincing fake I've ever heard.

If it's real, how the fuck did some random dude end up with it in 2019 when it's been common knowledge for almost 20 years that were no circulating copies??

Either way, I've never heard this before, so I'm impressed as fuck.

Damn.  Didn't think I could be surprised anymore.   Well done.