Stand-Up Comedy/Comics Discussion Thread

spunko12345

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am going to deserve a kick in the nuts for this, and this relates to another thread recently posted by Kasanova himself, but I feel women - ''wimmin'' as they say here - make shite comedians. I mean look at all the examples above: sausage party. Those class clowns at school, those ''pub characters'' and people you talk to when watching sport - their gender? 

I posted 4 women so far in this thread so far. I guess I'm 0-4 with you or you skip my posts, poor me, haha. You dont even like Kathleen from Farmer Michael?

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am going to deserve a kick in the nuts for this, and this relates to another thread recently posted by Kasanova himself, but I feel women - ''wimmin'' as they say here - make shite comedians. I mean look at all the examples above: sausage party. Those class clowns at school, those ''pub characters'' and people you talk to when watching sport - their gender? 

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

That's where you lose me old boy. America has tons of great comedy.

No irony. Americans take everything too literally. In fairness Simpsons had its moments during its heyday but most of it is garbage. That Friends and Frazier shite where they are in some penthouse. 

I dont really know many UK stand ups, but I think Katherine Parkinson is hilarious in The IT Crowd. Ive seen Catherine Tate in a few UK productions and mainly know her from The Office (US) and I always find her really funny. Jessica Hynes co-wrote and co-stared in BBC's Spaced which is a comedic cult classic over here. Julie Deacon and Katy Carmichael are both hysterical in Spaced too. My list of North Americans is too long to post.

My country has a tradition of cabaret, but I think that means something different in other countries. It's basically a comedian on stage telling stories that are usually humoristic, instead of just jokes. But it can also be playing characters and performing songs. Some of them use, I guess they call it, ''shock humour'', like this one demonstrating how he went down on the Dutch queen. But it takes a lot to ''shock'' the audience nowadays.

• Haha 1

Just finished Larry Charles' Netflix special, Dangerous World of Comedy.  Definitely worth the watch.  It was interesting watching how comedy is practice and received in other parts of the world.  

It's definitely a relative practice susceptible to the facets, mores and values of one's tribe.

Relatability is key.  Which is why myself and many (white) men don't find many women funny with respect to stand up.  There are exceptions (Sarah Silverman for one), but for the most part, I generally only find females funny in sketch or scripted comedies.  

For me, I wish most women, just like minorities and fat people, didn't devote most of their routines on that which makes them women, minorities, or fat.  Any time you see a fat latino comic you can bet you're going to hear a half hour of jokes about their ethnicity and weight.  Then again, I concede that maybe I'm not the target audience for that kind of comedy.

Perhaps white men have the advantage in that their gender/race is largely considered normative in our culture; that they don't spend much time thinking about it and are free to examine and find humour in areas that aren't tied to their identities.  It would be great if more female comics didn't base so much of their jokes on gender (and gender differences).  It was novel and funny 20-30 years ago, but let's move beyond the same tired tropes of women vs. men.  

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've never seen the former but Beverly Hills Cop is as funny as a punch in the face. 

One of my all time faves. :lol: I actually got the missus to drive me down Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills just so I could play Stir it Up by Patti LaBelle like in this scene. :lol: 

7 hours ago, Dazey said:

One of my all time faves. :lol: I actually got the missus to drive me down Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills just so I could play Stir it Up by Patti LaBelle like in this scene. :lol: 

What the fuck is wrong with these people man?!

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Len, I feel like you would like this guy:

Thats a cracking jacket he's got on, I shall give him a listen Russ, cheers fella ;)  Looks really really really similar to Elvises 68 Comeback jacket, which I used to have an exact replica of.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

My mom saw George Carlin back in NYC in the early 70's. He did the 7 words you can't say on tv. She said he was amazing.

We saw Jerry Seinfeld in Dallas about 10 years ago. He was super funny. He had a young guy open for him and he was funny too.

I think Kevin Hart is very funny and George Lopez too.

Jim Brewer makes me crack up every time too.

I thought when Ellen did standup she was funny too.

Edited by dontdamnmeuyi2015
more